Canon announcements coming in late September [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon will be announcing new gear in late September if the latest report at The Camera Insider is accurate. Late August through late September is usually a pretty active time for camera related announcements from most manufacturers. We know both Nikon and Sony have big announcements coming soon. I suspect Fuji will also be rolling

See full article...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Guessing absolutely nothing about the R5 firmware upgrade we've been waiting for all year.
Well, Canon did release a major firmware update in July (After fixing it). I do expect to see another one before the year is out. Firmware is a difficult to get a handle on. Canon has also had a really bad time with bugs in firmware over the last year, so I'm kind of hoping that they clean up their testing phase.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No one needs 1.2 at 35mm. We need a 1.4 RF lens small just like the Sony 1.4 gm at around 530 grams.
One great thing about these forums is that we have people like you who know exactly what everyone else needs and doesn’t need and who believe they are completely entitled to represent the viewpoints of others.

No, it’s not great at all. It just makes you look like an ass, for telling the guy who just asked for something that he doesn’t really need it.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I want:
- Voigtlander APO Lanthars (35mm, 50mm, 65mm and 110mm) - they are manual focus and already available on both Z and E mount. Why not RF mount?
- Canon 35mm, 50mm and 85mm f1.4L (smaller and lighter than the f1.2's)
- Canon 20mm f1.8L

Then maybe I will consider not selling all of my Canon gear.
Seriously, if that’s what you want then just sell your Canon gear now.

Note that since there are already plenty of RF mount manual focus lenses, the first point on your list seems independent of Canon.

Upvote 0
No one needs 1.2 at 35mm. We need a 1.4 RF lens small just like the Sony 1.4 gm at around 530 grams.
Honestly I get your point but I would love a 35mm f/1.2. A smaller and lighter but tack sharp 1.4 that has fast autofocus would be more than welcome, but I would expect that to come from third party manufacturers down the line. If Tamron updated the SP 35mm f/1.4 I would consider replacing my EF mount version because it’s such a workhorse (still shooting a great deal of my portrait work on this lens) but it’s showing its limitations on the new high-megapixel camera bodies.

I do value small and light, but outstanding image quality and character are more important and worth the weight in my humble opinion.

Upvote 0
In the EF line up Canon still list four f1.4 lenses

EF 24mm f1.4L
EF 35mm F1.4L
EF 50mm f1.4
EF 85mm f1.4L

Of all the lenses they have discontinued these still survive. Surely that must mean they sell in enough numbers to warrant staying in the line up so why no RF versions?
Maybe Canon keeps selling them because they know it’ll be years until they have a RF replacement for those lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0