Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
In which way? Buying time from who?

I agree with Heath, actually.

This sort of announcement is really good news, but the way Canon is delivering it is somewhat cloudy on specifics and comes across as a somewhat defensive move to me. The camera appears to be a beast, surely, but for some reason they don't seem to want to lean into any specifics and really wallop the competition here. It reminds me of the 200-400 1.4x -- Canon was glad to talk it up publicly but they clearly weren't ready to commit to a deployment timetable.

I'm expecting an R5 this year, of course, but I presume Sony is about to announce a major product (say an A7S3 or A7IV). That might have prompted what we saw yesterday. It's not a panicked move by Canon and R5 has surely been underway for a long period of time, but perhaps this was a bit ahead of when they ideally would have wanted to unveil it.

I could be wrong.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This has been a very interesting night for me. I woke after maybe 2 hours sleep and couldn't resist taking a peek at the thread. Big mistake. I didn't get back to bed until 6 AM - I couldn't believe it. So now it's "unwatch" time or I won't have a life.:) Will this camera be for me?? Quite possibly but there is so much more to know first.

Jack

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I haven't seen any guesses under $3000, nor many over $4000.

My hope is $4999 with 24-70 f2.8, which I'm deferring for that reason.
Canon is playing a home game, because of its substantial market share. A big part of its strategy will be to convince Canon DSLR owners to go mirrorless and buy the R5. They want to make sure that Canon owners don't abandon ship, and that DSLR (and R or RP owners) are ready to buy. Getting Sony or NIkon owners to buy an R5 is icing on the cake.

My guess is that the R5 will be enough to convince Canon owners to stay with Canon unless price becomes an issue. The same holds true in convincing Canon ownwers that it is time to get an R5, except that the challenge is to convince owners that the R5 is enough better than what they have now to be worth the price. All in all, Canon may be looking for volume, and price accordingly. I would be surprised if the price is much less than $3500 or more than $3800.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
The camera needs constant re-affirmation that it IS a good camera, so the "Rate" button allows the user to routinely coddle it by mashing the button as you shoot. Based on the amount of positivity you offer it, the R5 will shoot at faster and faster frame rates, eventually topping at 100fps while shooting in 32K at 20 bit RAW.

...or it might just be the old Rate button that lets you tag keeper images as you shoot.

Not sure. It's either one or the other
I hope it can be reprogrammed. I don't think I need either function.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I would be surprised if the price is much less than $3500 or more than $3800.

I strongly lean towards the initial price being about $3900. That was the price of the 5DS R when it was released, which was the 5D pricepoint(roughly $3500 range) with a few hundred added on cost due to the higher level features. Also would go to battle with the A9II while undercutting the price, and maybe give Canon room to eventually release a $6000 R1.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Starting new savings for this body. Also Tony Northrup will be eating s*** today.
Ah...he's gone over to the dark side, shooting Sony Mk IV. ;-)
The funny thing is, he uses the R for shooting all his video stuff, at least for YouTube, as he likes/loves the DPAF and the flippy/tilty panel...

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Spec sheets alone don't capture images. The 1DX3 does a jillion things that I'm sure (we will find out) the R5 cannot or will not. Besides the obvious build quality difference, 1DX3 will surely have menu options, customization features, communication protocols, and a greater degree of tuneability.

In short: The R5 may turn out to have more horsepower under the hood, but it probably doesn't drive as comfortably, as responsively, as reliably, and as efficiently.

I think the 1DX3 will do just fine.

- A
Also, we don't know how the R5 AF will compare to the IDXIII.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
Canon is playing a home game, because of its substantial market share. A big part of its strategy will be to convince Canon DSLR owners to go mirrorless and buy the R5. They want to make sure that Canon owners don't abandon ship, and that DSLR (and R or RP owners) are ready to buy. Getting Sony or NIkon owners to buy an R5 is icing on the cake.

My guess is that the R5 will be enough to convince Canon owners to stay with Canon unless price becomes an issue. The same holds true in convincing Canon ownwers that it is time to get an R5, except that the challenge is to convince owners that the R5 is enough better than what they have now to be worth the price. All in all, Canon may be looking for volume, and price accordingly. I would be surprised if the price is much less than $3500 or more than $3800.
It will be priced the same as the 5DSR when it first came out in June 2015, that would be around $3900 for the body.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This has been a very interesting night for me. I woke after maybe 2 hours sleep and couldn't resist taking a peek at the thread. Big mistake. I didn't get back to bed until 6 AM - I couldn't believe it. So now it's "unwatch" time or I won't have a life.:) Will this camera be for me?? Quite possibly but there is so much more to know first.

Jack
I'm not wasting my time looking at all this stuff now, there is no constructive point. I will relook at camera bodies later in the year when the dust settles and all the specs are out not just the headliners, crop modes, AF limitations etc etc. Meanwhile there is so much other cool stuff out there like the BENQ SW321C, PaulCBuff Link, QNAP TVS's, affordable 'home' Cat6 networking switches, CamRanger 2.

We are in the middle of a major camera transition phase I agree but everything I shoot with now works perfectly and I need for nothing, certainty nothing I have seen will make my images more valuable or more compelling, so other tools that can save me time are far more valuable. Besides, I still have yet to use an EVF I can look through for hours and not get tired of whereas an OVF doesn't phase me at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am certain it won't be 4k 120 fps full frame. The processing technology has not advanced that far yet.

Also, it will have 8k with 30 fps but clearly at a massive compromise. It is a little hard to believe that they will do these with 40 mpx in that body when the 1dx or the canon cine cameras cannot do that. And Panasonic with that massive S1H also couldn't do it. And Sony with their sensors couldn't put more than 24 mpx for 20 fps in their A9 II.

The rumors sound too good to be true in my opinion

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Spec sheets alone don't capture images. The 1DX3 does a jillion things that I'm sure (we will find out) the R5 cannot or will not. Besides the obvious build quality difference, 1DX3 will surely have menu options, customization features, communication protocols, and a greater degree of tuneability.

In short: The R5 may turn out to have more horsepower under the hood, but it probably doesn't drive as comfortably, as responsively, as reliably, and as efficiently.

I think the 1DX3 will do just fine.

- A
Though I like the MP numbers implied with 8k that really is the only thing I'd take from an R5 over a 1DX III.

Upvote 0