Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

Nov 1, 2012
Nikon Df flopped because it did not live up at all to its wonderful teaser campaign. It was a Frankenstein camera with a totally botched user interface, low rez, re-used sensor at a way too high price. It did NOT fail because of lacking video recording.

They could do SW lock/unlock for the versions. Say R5 is $500 cheaper versions but they SW locked the video features, R5C has the full video suite. And you could buy the upgrade later to go from R5 to R5C.

Of course they'd be worried about hack FW to enable video, but there's ways to make that difficult enough.

Upvote 0
You could very well be correct. The RF glass is at a premium. I just hope they understand they not only have to make this stuff, they have to sell.

Most modern gear has been “good enough” for a while, certainly the R and 5d4 anyway. I want one of these for sure, but price will matter when I pick one up.

With Covid ruining at least 3 trips so far this year, I am in no hurry at all.

I agree, Canon is for the most part asking us to buy into a completely new system as they make their transition to mirrorless. Do they deserve their money? Sure they make excellent glass and their sensor tech can compete with the other major players at this point. I can afford this body, but the prints I deliver to my customers generally 16x24 and on the rare occasion 20x30 would be no different from the prints from my "ancient" gear. Experience and decades of shooting lets me know this for sure. I'd love a super high resolution body and a super ultra 4K monitor so I could see someone getting stung by a bee 4 blocks away but it won't sell anymore than my 22 MP 5DIII or my 24MP Fuji. I guess my old age is making me post from a point of practicality these days, I just don't get excited by the latest & greatest. It'll all be in the discount bin before you reach the end of shutter life...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think the release price will be between $2,999 and $3,499! The reason is that they are behind Sony in FF market share and need to come out with a body & price so good that they create a groundswell of people who will upgrade, jump ship, or buy into FF for the first time so that they can have a good chance to take over the FF lead from Sony (who is way ahead).

People like me, who upgrade from MFT to FF and jump into Canon gear instead of Sony - I'm not just going to pay $3250 (or whatever) for their body, I'm going to pay that *plus $2300* for their 15-35 f2.8 *plus $2700* for their 70-200 f2.8 on day 1 of my purchase. - That's $8,250! Then, not too long after that I might buy another lens like $2300 for their 24-70 f2.8 and within a year another $3500(or whatever) for their new R? 85MP body so I have a 2nd body. Now I'm up to $14,000! And they'll still be tempting me to buy stuff like their 85mm f1.2 DS or a 180mm f2.8 macro lens or maybe a 200-500 f6 surprisingly compact & lighter zoom than anyone thought possible!

For me to spend all this money, I first have to *buy a Canon body* to make the commitment! The same for everyone else. They have to get people to buy their bodies to get into their system to sell all their spectacular RF lenses!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I agree, Canon is for the most part asking us to buy into a completely new system as they make their transition to mirrorless. Do they deserve their money? Sure they make excellent glass and their sensor tech can compete with the other major players at this point. I can afford this body, but the prints I deliver to my customers generally 16x24 and on the rare occasion 20x30 would be no different from the prints from my "ancient" gear. Experience and decades of shooting lets me know this for sure. I'd love a super high resolution body and a super ultra 4K monitor so I could see someone getting stung by a bee 4 blocks away but it won't sell anymore than my 22 MP 5DIII or my 24MP Fuji. I guess my old age is making me post from a point of practicality these days, I just don't get excited by the latest & greatest. It'll all be in the discount bin before you reach the end of shutter life...
Of course from a business standpoint, you are correct. Canon and all the other camera manufacturers aren't really focused on working professionals anymore. The money is in the enthusiast market and while today's cameras are excellent tools for professionals, they could not afford to make and sell these cameras if only professionals bought them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Let me ask you, if you were Canon president would you authorise production of a stills only camera in a rapidly shrinking market? To me, I would want to reduce the number of models offered and make them as broadly accessible as possible to maintain margin and take market share from competitors.

yes I would. And I would radically reduce the number of different Rebels and DSLRs.

I bet a "100% pure stills" EOS R model with 35-40MP, 8fps, excellent AF, state of the art EVF, great DR & High ISO, IBIS, dual SD UHS-II slots, only internal video feed for EVF, priced at 1999 would sell extremely well.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
yes I would. And I would radically reduce the number of different Rebels and DSLRs.

I bet a "100% pure stills" EOS R model with 35-40MP, 8fps, excellent AF, state of the art EVF, great DR & High ISO, IBIS, dual SD UHS-II slots, only internal video feed for EVF, priced at 1999 would sell extremely well.
Maybe. But selling a product below cost isn't exactly good business.

Upvote 0
its one thing to buy the r5 , if you can even afford it, but the next cost is to buy a new desktop that can handle 8k and thats another $2000 +

I would estimate 5000 for a workstation with Xeon Processor, Quadro RTX Graphics card, and lots of fast ssd storage. That's not counting the monitor. B&H currently has 1 model of 8K monitor and it's 3500. Not exactly priced for hobbyists.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
How many people will actually use the 8K or high bitrate 4K modes? I still shoot everything in 1080p for my youtube channel for ease of editing and uploading. I can understand for professional productions for Netflix, etc. but for not for amateurs and youtubers. Are people mostly excited to have internet bragging rights even if they will never shoot anything in those modes?
Me!

• Haha
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

What makes you think this camera would be $1500 less expensive for Canon to manufacture than a 45mp R5?

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
...I know people are psyched that shoot video, but why wouldn't you just buy a video camera if that's what you need? I'm genuinely curious...
Bingo. I'm waiting for one of these people who are fired up up over the video performance to post a link to their feature film, documentary, nature video, or whatever. My suspicion is that their hobby is reading and criticizing DSLR video specs. And maybe making videos of their cute cats for Facebook.

M5, RP, 6D Mark II, 5D Mark IV. I make still photographs, mostly.

Upvote 0
I'd love to check out your work. Do you have a portfolio online?

I'd love to see his audience all 3 of them, the average laptop does not render 8K the highest sellers still sell with 1080p displays, the average phone can barely do 4K. There is no audience for 8K YET, will it happen eventually? Yes it will, but it's years away and this camera will surely be obsolete by that time. Just as an example, I have a 6 year old 4K TV. Is it the pinnacle of technology & resolution? Nope not anymore but people comes to my home and compliment the display on my old Sony Bravia. We are no where near ubiquitous 8K and once we get there, this camera will be old tech. I should leave this thread before I'm labeled angry grandpa, which I am..lol!!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I'd love to see his audience all 3 of them, the average laptop does not render 8K the highest sellers still sell with 1080p displays, the average phone can barely do 4K. There is no audience for 8K YET, will it happen eventually? Yes it will, but it's years away and this camera will surely be obsolete by that time. Just as an example, I have a 6 year old 4K TV. Is it the pinnacle of technology & resolution? Nope not anymore but people comes to my home and compliment the display on my old Sony Bravia. We are no where near ubiquitous 8K and once we get there, this camera will be old tech. I should leave this thread before I'm labeled angry grandpa, which I am..lol!!
Have we not been through this over last several years? 4k is not needed etc? Yes I will shoot 8k when can and publish it in 4k or 2k but shooting at 8k will be so FLEXIBLE.

Upvote 0