Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

Jan 29, 2011
Bingo. I'm waiting for one of these people who are fired up up over the video performance to post a link to their feature film, documentary, nature video, or whatever. My suspicion is that their hobby is reading and criticizing DSLR video specs. And maybe making videos of their cute cats for Facebook.

M5, RP, 6D Mark II, 5D Mark IV. I make still photographs, mostly.
Er, go look at Sanj’s website, then come back and tell us why he shouldn’t be excited.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
I mean - wow. what an incredible day for canon shooters. In fact for the photography world, Canon has proved it can be done so other companies will follow for sure. its just going to take a some time.
Video - Canon R5 specs a camera comparison

I think this
  • Canon shooters - You just struck gold
  • Other shooters -You are fine and shouldn't switch.
  • New shooters - 100% will buy cano
= Canon gets all new growth.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'd love to see his audience all 3 of them, the average laptop does not render 8K the highest sellers still sell with 1080p displays, the average phone can barely do 4K. There is no audience for 8K YET, will it happen eventually? Yes it will, but it's years away and this camera will surely be obsolete by that time. Just as an example, I have a 6 year old 4K TV. Is it the pinnacle of technology & resolution? Nope not anymore but people comes to my home and compliment the display on my old Sony Bravia. We are no where near ubiquitous 8K and once we get there, this camera will be old tech. I should leave this thread before I'm labeled angry grandpa, which I am..lol!!

Fortunately people get to make their own buying decision regardless of their motivation. If someone wants 8k more power to them. Why does it bother you?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I agree with this, where I disagree is in who will be able to take advantage of it. I won't notice any of those things on my phone, my digital photo frame, my television or my overpriced monitor. I'm not saying it's not an improvement, I'm saying most will not know the difference and definitely will not pay for it. I applaud you for pushing the envelope, but the majority of the planet is 2 generations behind you. At the end of the day, you will have purchased another mega expensive camera before your admittedly good work (I visited your page and I like it very much) can be appreciated in it's full resolution glory. I'm not anyone's antagonist here, just introducing a dose of real life. Who spends this kind of money to not get paid? That number is very low despite everyone screaming "shut up and take my money!!"
This camera is not intended for phone viewing. It is meant for people to do semi-professional and professional work which will be seen on laptops, TV etc. Sir.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Why is everyone jumping at conclusions and calling it expensive? Let's first see what it is priced at. Jobs have disappeared and I personally will buy it when my kind of jobs (mostly involving international travel) come up again. And 'expensive' is relative. It may not be expensive for all the features it offers. For people who want the features of this camera, $3500 to $4200 this camera is CHEAP!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fortunately people get to make their own buying decision regardless of their motivation. If someone wants 8k more power to them. Why does it bother you?

I stated what I believe are reasonable and unreasonable expectations and/or scenarios for this body. Learn to respect opinions that differ from your own. You've added nothing relevant to the conversation and provided zero counterpoints. I'm 55 and retiring this year, a full10 years early for not being a fool with my money, absolutely nothing bothers me. Cheers...

Upvote 0
These specs are even better than a Red camera from three years ago. The fact that Canon is going full-blown on the R5 suggests two things to me:
1. They're heavily invested in retaking the DSLR video market that they first carved out with the 5D2 but since overtaken by Sony and Panasonic
2. Their C-series cameras are going to be even better, which is mindblowing.

As for those predicting Sony's doom, who's to say Sony doesn't have an answer down the line in a few month's time?

Upvote 0
I agree with this, where I disagree is in who will be able to take advantage of it. I won't notice any of those things on my phone, my digital photo frame, my television or my overpriced monitor. I'm not saying it's not an improvement, I'm saying most will not know the difference and definitely will not pay for it. I applaud you for pushing the envelope, but the majority of the planet is 2 generations behind you. At the end of the day, you will have purchased another mega expensive camera before your admittedly good work (I visited your page and I like it very much) can be appreciated in it's full resolution glory. I'm not anyone's antagonist here, just introducing a dose of real life. Who spends this kind of money to not get paid? That number is very low despite everyone screaming "shut up and take my money!!"
For working pros, 8k definitely is meaningful. I and many colleagues who do video regularly, we shoot 4K and downscale to 1080p often and take advantage of the better detail. Our customers also notice it and desire it. Having 8K gives us the ability to downscale from an even higher source, that's awesome just thinking about it.

Upvote 0
For working pros, 8k definitely is meaningful. I and many colleagues who do video regularly, we shoot 4K and downscale to 1080p often and take advantage of the better detail. Our customers also notice it and desire it. Having 8K gives us the ability to downscale from an even higher source, that's awesome just thinking about it.

If it makes you money then by all means go for it. I have no problem with being on the cutting edge, I'm simply considering profit vs investment ratio. I'd love to see your work, I'm a fan of all good photography & video.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
These specs are even better than a Red camera from three years ago. The fact that Canon is going full-blown on the R5 suggests two things to me:
1. They're heavily invested in retaking the DSLR video market that they first carved out with the 5D2 but since overtaken by Sony and Panasonic

As for those predicting Sony's doom, who's to say Sony doesn't have an answer down the line in a few month's time?

We don't know yet how the actual footage quality looks on R5. Many cameras have great specs on paper but the actual footage is not great, due to some bad compression, lousy codec or something.

But yes, the specs looks very good. For my personal use I'm still curious if the 1080p will go beyond 120fps. If yes, next question is if it's still does DPAF. One of my disappointments with 5D4 was that DPAF worked only up to 60fps.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

I believe this is a feature war that will cause some camera companies to fold. With the massive drop in overall camera sales, market share is everything so Canon is throwing everything but the kitchen sink into selling this camera. And at a relatively reasonable price.

Good for the consumer as other manufacturers will be forced to compete.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The video capabilities don't impress me simply because I don't do serious video. However, it will sell cameras. The Olympics was planned to be broadcast in 8K, so all the manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon. I expect that the current slow camera market caused Canon's sales department to ask for speciications that would meet what they expect from competitors. They all pretty much know where the industry is going. Obviously, there is finally some new technology going into sensor manufacturing. Will it improve high ISO low light noise? I'd expect a incremental improvement, they need to portion improvements out over time, its just how things work.

8K is not a huge improvement in resolution, resolution does not double. Whether people can see it, or even find 8K source material does not matter. Most TV sets are now 4K capable, they have a good picture, so I can't complain. As to editing 8K with my computer, I think it would be a pain, but the technology is there to make it happen.

So, I'm interested in what still improvements I'd see over my R and my 5D MK IV.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The video capabilities don't impress me simply because I don't do serious video. However, it will sell cameras. The Olympics was planned to be broadcast in 8K, so all the manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon. I expect that the current slow camera market caused Canon's sales department to ask for speciications that would meet what they expect from competitors. They all pretty much know where the industry is going. Obviously, there is finally some new technology going into sensor manufacturing. Will it improve high ISO low light noise? I'd expect a incremental improvement, they need to portion improvements out over time, its just how things work.

8K is not a huge improvement in resolution, resolution does not double. Whether people can see it, or even find 8K source material does not matter. Most TV sets are now 4K capable, they have a good picture, so I can't complain. As to editing 8K with my computer, I think it would be a pain, but the technology is there to make it happen.

So, I'm interested in what still improvements I'd see over my R and my 5D MK IV.
Editing 8k on any decent computer will not be difficult.

Upvote 0