Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
"Wants state of the art stills specs, does not want to pay for state of the art video video specs." :)

Unfortunately, I doubt Canon would be able to entertain your demands. Even if they cripple the video specs deliberately, they'd still be putting the same high end sensor into the camera, which means the cost savings is probably minimal. That translates to a slightly lower price for the buyer, but not as significant as you might imagine.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"Wants state of the art stills specs, does not want to pay for state of the art video specs." :)
With a mirrorless camera, you literally need all the video processing steps except encoding.

What do you think is the difference between recording 8K 30p RAW video and capturing 45 MP 20 FPS stills? What's the difference between good video AF and tracking and good stills AF and tracking? You pay for those in any case and with video, the cost to develop them is spread over a greater customer base, reducing what you actually have to pay for them.

LiveView / EVF display are just a kind of video output. And the encoding hardware shouldn't be adding an immense amount of cost, especially considering the additional sales that ability to capture video generates. Otherwise, I don't see why Cameras like the M50 would have gotten 4K video, since it clearly is aimed at a market segment that is budget focused.

Upvote 0
I think it's great that you and your clients (I wish I had some!) are happy with your output, and wouldn't discern any difference between using your gear and the “latest and greatest”. There's truth in the phrase, “it's the Indian and not the arrow”.
Nevertheless some of us, including many amateurs, (many as old as I am) derive pleasure from being more easily and more often successful in capturing the image we see.
I guess I wonder why you would bother following a thread like this.
Cheers! :)

It's called Covid-19, I've only recently started browsing these forums again after about a 3 year hiatus. If we weren't all on lockdown, I'd be out. Again, spend your money however you wish but I don't think I ever advised anyone to NOT buy this camera when it drops. Alot of things have changed on this forum, we would debate the relative merits of a new piece of kit for days in the past some for, some against. I simply provided an alternative viewpoint which I now know is frowned upon here, I won't break the rules again.

Cheers :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R5 Definitely an amazing camera but I am not a video photographer I wanted to know if Stills photographers will also get some significant camera to replace like the EOS 5DSR for example

no, Canon will not. At least not if you ask most of the forum users here. And no, you are not allowed to even ask. ;-)

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
not nearly. got a 5D3. want a clear and significant improvement. New sensor, around 40 MP, low speed/fps, great DR, latest AF (face, eye, etc.) and state of art EVF.

EOS R with re-used 5D4 sensor and mutilated user interface does not cut it for me. Neither will R6 with only 20 MP.

R5 all fine and dandy, but not willing to pay for lots of video stuff i'll never even touch.

there are many users just like myself: amateur/enthusiast pure stills photogs, Canon has to come up with suitable EOS R models for us, if they want our money and buy-in into R system.

This thread has truly devolved into pure comedy for me. There is simply no remaining logic to this discussion. You just described the EOS R right down to the EVF which you can pick up right now from Canon with a warranty for $1600 yet you want to hold out for a mystical camera that will somehow be even cheaper because it has no video features.

I have the 5D4 and had the 5D3 before that; I don't know what more you could possibly want from a sensor that is not already there; the user interface in the EOS R looks just like the user interface in any other Canon..same menu system, just a few more options. And with the RF glass that "re-used 5D4 sensor" can be made to look even better.

Now if you had said things like it only has a single card slot, you want the joystick from the 5D series, you are not sold on an EVF for photography, you hate the function bar, etc. then at least I would understand; because these are the reasons why I did not get the R...actual hardware problems that make it hard to justify the purchase; but to describe a camera that you wish existed and to have it match down to the letter of a camera that actually does already exist and that same said camera is even cheaper than your stated entry price is where all logic leaves the discussion.

R5 Definitely an amazing camera but I am not a video photographer I wanted to know if Stills photographers will also get some significant camera to replace like the EOS 5DSR for example

You do realize that the photography specs for the R5 haven't even been announced yet right? And at 45MP, the R5 is pretty much there in terms of 5DSR image resolution. Canon is really hyping the video specs for now because Sony, Panasonic, and Nikon have been eating their lunch in that department for years. This is Canon's way of trying to triage the bleeding while they prepare to launch the camera. I'm sure in the next few weeks we will learn about the photography side of things as well. At the very least we already know it will have amazing AF, Canon's color science, dual card slots, same ergonomics as the EOS R no function bar, RF glass, etc. Plenty of photography specs can already be derived from what we already know about the camera. At the very least you can look at the EOS R's specs bump that up to 45MP and start there.

I don't know why some people are so overwhelmed by the video specs that have been released so far that they think this will not be a stills camera as well. It would make more sense if we were talking about the C300 MK II and saying we hope a stills camera is somewhere in the pipeline. These are very exciting times in the Canon photography and video world, how anyone can possibly find anything to complain about right now is completely beyond me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

View attachment 190042
re-write this post.

There's been rumors for the last year of a high MP RF camera - so yeah somewhere around 80 to 100MP is the rumors.

Since the R5 can punch out 900 million pixels per second - we're looking at somewhere around a completely insane maximum 10 to 12 fps for it.

I would imagine it will be like the 5D - built on the 5D ergos - so take the EOS R5 and add an "S" or an "SR" to it i guess.

but really if you didn't need the higher res the R5 is going to be a crazy good stills camera at 45MP.
- 45MP
- 12fps with mechanical shutter with full AF/AE
- 20fps (most likely 12 bits instead of 14) with electronic shutter with AF (no word on AE,but probably so)
- AF includes the normal AF modes, plus Person and Animal AF. Animal AF uses AI for dogs, cats and BIRDS. No one else does birds.
- AF modes include head/body/eyeAF
- IBIS works with OIS for up to 8 stops of stabilization (IBIS + IS for both RF and EF lenses)
- Articulating screen

There's not much really that we don't know.. it's pretty damned good so far.

You can argue that it doesn't match 5D ergonomics and I agree it does not. But other than that, it takes the 5DIV out back to the woodshed *if* the performance and operational speed of the camera is there.

I'm personally waiting for the high res version of this camera, so the R5 is not for me. But it's a damned impressive stills shooting machine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Interesting! What did you see in the IBIS options?
There was an option for Image Stabilization and digital image stabilization. I don't recall it being specifically labeled as In-Body, but it obviously was as it was clearly distinct from the digital option. Seems like both could be toggled on or off. Honestly, there wasn't that much to see.

Upvote 0
Yup, I found it too, but that one removed the menus parts it seems.
ohh they got spanked.
we made copies of the some of the menus on our article about it.

sadly not enough pictures though.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There was an option for Image Stabilization and digital image stabilization. I don't recall it being specifically labeled as In-Body, but it obviously was as it was clearly distinct from the digital option. Seems like both could be toggled on or off. Honestly, there wasn't that much to see.

The movie menu also showed the 'Zebra' option many video people have been wanting. But not vectorscope, waveform or any other video helpers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hoe much money and time do jou waste on switching brands?

It's a new world. We no longer have to completely change systems.

I'm one of the folks who mostly switched to Sony last year. I kept 13 EF lenses, though, and used all of them via the excellent Sigma adapter. Unless the cripple hammer sneaks up in some crazy manner, I'm going to be buying a couple R5s and moving back to Canon bodies. Salivating.

I'll sell a couple Sony bodys, and 4 E-mount lenses. Current used prices indicate I'll lose about 20 percent on those. When you look across the entire kit, this means that I'll have paid a tax of about 10 percent on everything to have gone from Canon to Sony for a couple years and then back again. It's no longer the case that you sell everything. Canon EF lenses are the common currency among most systems. I was even able to spend a couple months experimenting with the Panasonic S1R without needing to buy any glass. It's pretty liberating (and educational).

To get 60 megapixels at 10 fps on one body and 20fps with silent shooting on another has been well worth it to me. I recognize that, for others, this isn't terribly useful.

Being a Canon fan, as I am, you take the good with the bad. The good is they come up with crazy stuff like dual pixel AF. The bad is that they to rest on that for the next few years. With the new world of adapters, you can have the best of both worlds - at least until you start buying RF lenses, like I'm about to. I think we'll look back at the 2018-2020 time period as the golden moment you could freely move between systems without the normal switching costs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0