Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
ha jeah, true! I can remember it so clearly, all these guys laughing at canon because "noboy needs the Cnon 5Ds with 50mp". And now its expected to have at least 40mpixel in any model and the 20mpixel from the 1DX III is suddenly a disaster :-D

Newer generations will allways have "more" in something and thats a good thing. One day the Megapixel war will finaly be over, but than other things will get important like even finer color details or maybe perfect 3D (without glasses).

I think any image (photo or video) right now is still very far away from perfect (technicaly speaking). As long as I can distinguish between looking out of a window and looking onto a screen, it is not perfect. Only if this distinction is completely impossible for a human, the imagereproduction is technicaly perfect and wont need improvement. Until than, more "something" is sill necessary and will certainly happen.
I am not realy sure whats the main problem of images being not perfectly lifelike. <snip>

Goodness....I really don't WANT images to look 'real' like you're describing....I post process my images, to try to look BETTER than real life, nice contrast, colors that pop....removing unwanted objects (or people) in scenes....

I think I prefer the results of my photography projects to be more like 'art'....to give myself (and hopefully others) a break from "real life"....we get enough of that every day we wake up!!
;)

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Actually, I came from the 5D Mark III to the R as a pure stills photographer. Canon got my money and I was happy to give it. Many here have done the same. As much as I loved my 5D mark III, the R is better to me. I have taken no video with it. Is the menu system cluttered with video features? Not to me. I just skip that section of the menu and it takes zero time at all to do so. Do I bemoan the fact that I might have paid for features I'll never use? Not for a second. I'll never use auto mode for stills either. We can look at it and say that still shooters are subsidizing video shooters, but maybe it is the other way around.

It is interesting to me that you have a 5D mark III with video features, but are now complaining about not having a pure stills camera to choose. I understand what you want, but you ain't gonna get it... ever. Never. Ever. Right now, you are just beating a dead horse. While you may never buy into the R system, the fact remains that you already own the style of camera you are making protests about. ;) I believe the last FF Canon DSLR without video was the 5D circa 2010. They can be had on Ebay for under $300. That is the only way you are ever going to get what you are pining for. I had the same obsession as you do several years ago. I posted a thread here on this forum that I just wanted a pure stills camera and bewailed that I must surely be paying for things I'll never use. Oh well. You'll always be paying for things you'll never use unless you have a custom camera built just for you. That would run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You say there are many users like yourself who want a pure stills camera. How many? How many is "many"? See, that's the problem. Not enough.

I was about to say...he could maybe look towards Leica...they're still mostly photographer centric, although most of their cameras DO have some video capabilities.

IN fact, I don't know of ANY other manufacturer that had ILC's that today don't have some sort of video capability...some more than others but from all the reviews I'm watching on YouTube (I like to watch and dream and scheme).....they ALL have VIDEO.

I'm thinking if no one else does a photo stills ONLY camera, why would Canon do so?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I'm thinking if no one else does a photo stills ONLY camera, why would Canon do so?

If nobody is trying to grab the video free high quality camera market segment, maybe that is telling us something. Like maybe you can’t save much money building a camera without video. Or you can‘t get people to buy high end cameras without video, unless you sell them for less than it costs to make them. Or something.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I would also be very interested in this gigapixel ultra dynamic range sensor, but only once the 240fps global read version is done. Also I am hoping he can generate a new compression scheme to keep image sizes down to, oh, a few megs per shot.
Have you looked into the HEIF format? It's supported by Apple & Canon (and others I'm sure) but is not supported by most things I use (eg DXO photolab or Costo photo upload).

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
What about the Nikon DF stills only camera that took the photographic world by storm in 2014 ? Demand seem to have been so high that Nikon can’t keep up with production; has anyone tried to get hold of a new one ? Or maybe it was just quietly dropped from production ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I believe that artificial limit of less than 30 min, is due largely to EU having rules that if it records 30min or greater, that it is taxed at a higher rate?

Did they get rid of that rule?
Not yet, as I can see, but they have already lowered the import duty to 1.6% (from 4.9% before). The stills camera are duty free (VAT still applies to both).

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Goodness....I really don't WANT images to look 'real' like you're describing....I post process my images, to try to look BETTER than real life, nice contrast, colors that pop....removing unwanted objects (or people) in scenes....

I think I prefer the results of my photography projects to be more like 'art'....to give myself (and hopefully others) a break from "real life"....we get enough of that every day we wake up!!
;)

C
Ha jeah, I agree :)
I was strictly speaking from a technical standpoint. If the technology wants to be perfect it has to be able to mimic real life without a chance to distinguish it from photos.
Photography is (besides some very technical reproduction jobs like uncreative pack-shots) certainly about creating something creative and some kind of art :) Actualy, I think as well that this is the nice thing about photography. Workside is often less funny though :-D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I was about to say...he could maybe look towards Leica...they're still mostly photographer centric, although most of their cameras DO have some video capabilities.

IN fact, I don't know of ANY other manufacturer that had ILC's that today don't have some sort of video capability...some more than others but from all the reviews I'm watching on YouTube (I like to watch and dream and scheme).....they ALL have VIDEO.

Somewhere around here he keeps mentioning Sigma cameras. I knew they make cameras, but...

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I’m still trying to figure out why I have to pay extra for a stupid Mode dial when all I ever need is full Auto. Cmon Canon, get out that Cripple Hammer and save me some money! And so much simpler.
Or at least remove some of the “scenes.” I don’t shoot in some of those scenarios, so why should I have to pay for them?

Upvote 0
It's good to hear that people/companies in Canada can up & decide to develop such ambitious visual sensor chips, and be in a market that can sustain such development.

But since this is an online thread for average camera users (well, the remaining more affluent ones at least) I am wondering if you are considering leveraging your considerable sensor R&D to also make bigger & better sensors which could be used for future cameras for our use? There are still aggressive existing camera companies, such as Sigma, that are still trying to develop competitive cameras and may be a perfect partner for you to supply your advanced sensors to. Then they could do better, you could do better, and we could enjoy even better cameras than exist now.

You shouted out "TRY AND BEAT THAT LMCO & RAYTHEON!!!!!!". So now I challenge you to "PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!!!". Make some great sensors that make their way into a camera good enough for us to buy!

---

Already did that!

There's a Pro-Level Medium Format Combined Stills and Video Camera with a 56 mm x 42 mm Global Shutter sensor at 50.3 megapixels (8192 x 6144 pixels) at 16-bits per channel 4:4:4:4 RGBA RAW with a 4:3 aspect ratio used for stills that also records DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixels) video at 16-bits per RGBA/YCbCrA (64-bit colour) at up to FULL 4:4:4:4 RAW 60 fps (up to 240 fps if you lower the colour depth to 4:2:2) that is coming out soon enough. Both will come out with a very nice f/1.0 50 mm cinema prime lens (i.e. YES! it's an F/1.0 with proper iris and focus rings, T-stop divisions AND no breathing) as part of the above prices! The larger locking-mount sizes allow much faster lenses to made MUCH EASIER AND CHEAPER than on EF, RF or E-mounts!

It has Intraframe and Interframe Video and Still Wavelet Compression and common output file formats and frame sizes at various user-specified colour bit-depths and frames rates. It will be priced at $8888 US. There is a 2nd camera that is the Full Frame version where the only difference from the above is the sensor and lens mount size. It will be set at $5555 US. Both cameras have the fancy handgrips and swivel OLED DCI 4K live view screen AND digital OLED viewfinder which will work VERY WELL for pro-level sports, action, wildlife, portrait, landscape AND do high-end pro-level video with all the image monitoring goodies and video/audio/data inputs/outputs you could want and need!

AND THERE ARE ALSO

Two IP-68/Mil-Spec 810-G rugged form-factor large-sensor 8K Super-Smartphones where one has a 2/3rds inch sensor and the other has an APS-C sized sensor on the back. (Smaller 12 and 16 megapixel ones on the front). They have DCI 4K 120 Hz OLED touchscreens with high-level stills and video capabilities and lots of RAM memory and onboard storage (and extra dual storage cards and multiple USB 3.1 connectors for add-on drive space) that are GREAT for games, apps, video, audio, realtime data, etc.

AND FINALLY THERE ARE

A series of desktop supercomputer systems coming out with One to Sixteen Processors on the motherboards where each 128-bits wide combined CPU/GPU/DSP chip has 1024 single-threaded 128-bits wide cores (i.e. 1024 threads) with onboard array-processor 128-bits wide Signed and Unsigned Integer, Floating Point, Fixed Point values processing and 4-bit/8-bits per number BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) math acceleration. At 575 TeraFLOPS PER CHIP, these are the fastest desktop CPUs ever made BLOWING AWAY every Intel, AMD, Samsung, ARM, UltraSPARC, MIPS, IBM Power-9/10 etc cpu out there!

All this is coming out soon enough!

YUP! We put our money where our mouth is!

And we designed, coded and manufactured it ALL right here in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (i.e. fully ITAR-free!)

AND for the kicker, we do have an in-house-built SSTO (look it up!) for our own imaging caopabilities. These take the largest digital photos ever at 128k by 128k resolution at 64-bit colour RGB + Radar Distance pixel (i.e. 17+ gigapixels) AND YOU HERE ON CANONRUMORS will get the imaging gear and tech benefit of some eccentric 50+ megamillionaire who keeps under the radar and keeps funding our crazy research and development antics! (I would say he is the Canadian version of Jim Jannard who founded Oakley and Red Camera, but is a LOT MORE PRIVATE and secretive in his projects --- He's not a multi-billionaire, but he has enough cash to hire the best local all-Canadian computer systems, aerospace and imaging talent around!)

It's a SWEET DEAL for me --- I designed and coded the fancy Wavelet codec and YOU get to see its results !!!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Purely sarcasm, sir. This is the first time on this form where I’ve seen people actually arguing for Canon to get out the so-called Cripple Hammer and reduce the features of a new, greatly-improved product.
yup.. some folks need a justification for ditching the R5. So they keep coming up with more and more "innovative" ideas around what they are unhappy with: be that inclusion of video features, price will be too high, or whatever. I see a trend here. It is a new normal :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
---

Already did that!

There's a Pro-Level Medium Format Combined Stills and Video Camera with a 56 mm x 42 mm Global Shutter sensor at 50.3 megapixels (8192 x 6144 pixels) at 16-bits per channel 4:4:4:4 RGBA RAW with a 4:3 aspect ratio used for stills that also records DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixels) video at 16-bits per RGBA/YCbCrA (64-bit colour) at up to FULL 4:4:4:4 RAW 60 fps (up to 240 fps if you lower the colour depth to 4:2:2) that is coming out soon enough. Both will come out with a very nice f/1.0 50 mm cinema prime lens (i.e. YES! it's an F/1.0 with proper iris and focus rings, T-stop divisions AND no breathing) as part of the above prices! The larger locking-mount sizes allow much faster lenses to made MUCH EASIER AND CHEAPER than on EF, RF or E-mounts!

It has Intraframe and Interframe Video and Still Wavelet Compression and common output file formats and frame sizes at various user-specified colour bit-depths and frames rates. It will be priced at $8888 US. There is a 2nd camera that is the Full Frame version where the only difference from the above is the sensor and lens mount size. It will be set at $5555 US. Both cameras have the fancy handgrips and swivel OLED DCI 4K live view screen AND digital OLED viewfinder which will work VERY WELL for pro-level sports, action, wildlife, portrait, landscape AND do high-end pro-level video with all the image monitoring goodies and video/audio/data inputs/outputs you could want and need!

AND THERE ARE ALSO

Two IP-68/Mil-Spec 810-G rugged form-factor large-sensor 8K Super-Smartphones where one has a 2/3rds inch sensor and the other has an APS-C sized sensor on the back. (Smaller 12 and 16 megapixel ones on the front). They have DCI 4K 120 Hz OLED touchscreens with high-level stills and video capabilities and lots of RAM memory and onboard storage (and extra dual storage cards and multiple USB 3.1 connectors for add-on drive space) that are GREAT for games, apps, video, audio, realtime data, etc.

AND FINALLY THERE ARE

A series of desktop supercomputer systems coming out with One to Sixteen Processors on the motherboards where each 128-bits wide combined CPU/GPU/DSP chip has 1024 single-threaded 128-bits wide cores (i.e. 1024 threads) with onboard array-processor 128-bits wide Signed and Unsigned Integer, Floating Point, Fixed Point values processing and 4-bit/8-bits per number BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) math acceleration. At 575 TeraFLOPS PER CHIP, these are the fastest desktop CPUs ever made BLOWING AWAY every Intel, AMD, Samsung, ARM, UltraSPARC, MIPS, IBM Power-9/10 etc cpu out there!

All this is coming out soon enough!

YUP! We put our money where our mouth is!

And we designed, coded and manufactured it ALL right here in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (i.e. fully ITAR-free!)

AND for the kicker, we do have an in-house-built SSTO (look it up!) for our own imaging caopabilities. These take the largest digital photos ever at 128k by 128k resolution at 64-bit colour RGB + Radar Distance pixel (i.e. 17+ gigapixels) AND YOU HERE ON CANONRUMORS will get the imaging gear and tech benefit of some eccentric 50+ megamillionaire who keeps under the radar and keeps funding our crazy research and development antics! (I would say he is the Canadian version of Jim Jannard who founded Oakley and Red Camera, but is a LOT MORE PRIVATE and secretive in his projects --- He's not a multi-billionaire, but he has enough cash to hire the best local all-Canadian computer systems, aerospace and imaging talent around!)

It's a SWEET DEAL for me --- I designed and coded the fancy Wavelet codec and YOU get to see its results !!!

V
After reading your response, there was so much far-out stuff claimed that I first thought that this was a really good practical joke. On second thought it must be an April 1st joke. On third thought it's too late for that so maybe it's just an April month joke. On fourth thought I'm starting to wonder if you're actualy serious (at the great peril of being the the butt of enormous laughter at possibly taking this seriously).

I happen to be a retired video arcade programmer & designer and video console programmer, so I've had a lot of experience in the earlier days of technology that touches on what you mention. So I've got a few comments to mention about what you've said:

I did a lot of work on image compression. My favorite technique for fast stills compression & decompression was wavelet compression. So your mention of it made me wonder if this is for real.

You mentioned a 575 teraflop per chip development. I did a lot of low level assembly programming on advanced 128 bit SIMD (single instruction multiple data) processors. The one thing you mentioned which makes me wonder about your story is your use of BCD (binary coded decimal) - whose usage seems an echo of long ago years and I see no use for it in current designs, and it makes me think this is indeed a ruse. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

You mentioned your company has an in-house SSTO (single stage to orbit) reusable vehicle which you imply is currently working for your use. Does this have anything to do with SWALA Aerospace, or John Hollaway? This is a really really far out thing to say your company has working. So please convince me otherwise.

You have mentioned a ton of inside information about remarkable technoloy, without mentioning the company for verification. But anyone in your industry should be able to figure out who it is by the city and details you've mentioned. So why not mention it here? All in all, you can see why I am very wary of the validity of what you mention.

Your statements are remarkable, either in the very advanced technology developed if true, or the sheer informed brilliance of your ruse if not. When this pandemic and travel restrictions are over, I (& my wife) are planning a trip to the Glacier N.P. and Banff areas as well as the Pacific northwest of the US & Canada. If what you say it true, I would love to stop by and meet you, and get a tour of your facilities if that's allowed. ... Interested?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
There's a Pro-Level Medium Format Combined Stills and Video Camera with a 56 mm x 42 mm Global Shutter sensor at 50.3 megapixels (8192 x 6144 pixels) at 16-bits per channel 4:4:4:4 RGBA RAW with a 4:3 aspect ratio used for stills that also records DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixels) video at 16-bits per RGBA/YCbCrA (64-bit colour) at up to FULL 4:4:4:4 RAW 60 fps (up to 240 fps if you lower the colour depth to 4:2:2) that is coming out soon enough.

Why on earth would a camera record RGBA files? What are you using the alpha channel for??

Upvote 0