Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Remember the "crazy" R1 specs that were leaked a while ago? I'm starting to think they aren't that crazy.

Not naming this the R1 because of the 1DX III is not a valid business reason to create a new line, so I doubt that as well. You don't hold back new technology in a highly competitive market because someone may not be happy their camera was replaced after a couple of years. They were also able to reuse much of the tech (Sensor, Processor, Software) in the R6 and R5. They have recouped their investment. The people who these cameras are designed for don't care... they don't buy them anyway. The companies that do can justify the cost by the return. An R1 will likely make that workstream more efficient which makes the cost negligible. They also don't have an ego about the number plastered on the front of the camera. They are just tools. I think the market for the R3 are professionals that buy their own gear (ie not employed by a large organization) and people like us who have enough money and passion to want a better camera but may balk at the likely $8k price tag of the R1.

As far as the A1 goes... most direct comparisons show the R5 holding its own against the A1, this one will likely crush it. I'm quite sure Canon doesn't see the A1 as a competitor for the R1. That camera likely doesn't exist. Camera bodies are developed over years. Companies also have a good idea what their competitors are up to. You can be sure they knew the A1 was coming for quite some time. The move to mirrorless is, I'm sure, a program with multiple projects each with specific deliverables and likely is scheduled out at least 5 years. Covid likely delayed some portion of the R5/R6 projects which probably held this one up as well. Expect to see it before the Summer Olympics with a US cost of just under 6k. I expect to see the R1 arriving before the Winter Olympics in 2022 at around USD 8K.
You may be right about R3 pricing but am hoping for $52-5495.00 USD

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Ok i might be wrong . Maybe canon really making 100mp 30fps sport camera ,becouse they can.
Sport photogrpahers are screwed .Who ever wanna be sport photographer nerd can do their job with 70-200mm . No need tigh framing skills or talents anymore.
Well it would explain why they didn't bother to make those converters fit! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As I said in another comment. There’s a lot of people who buy what they want. Not what they need. And Sony probably understood that better than Canon.
You can see a lot of influencers being excited about the A1. It’s still a small camera but great on paper. They wouldn’t use anything like R3 or 1Dx. And other people tend to buy in brands that their favorite YouTuber uses. That’s why you can hear most young people talking about Sony rather than Canon. Maybe we don’t care about it but if canon doesn’t have enough money for R&D in ten years this may be part of it. But I can see that Canon is getting better with marketing.

Nonsense. What it sounds like is, you're confusing what you want with what the market wants. Do you think Canon just randomly chooses what features to include? They don't do market research? Who sells more cameras, remind me?

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I don't have any objection to a crop sensor RF body, I hope they do release a modified R6 with the 90D sensor for those 7DII users. But it does sound like the R3 is being marketed towards these users as they are saying the new RF superteles will pair well with it.
I hope you do get your R7 but time will tell.
I'd love to have the R3 but probably too expensive and I can't afford the superteles , maybe the R7 could be a budget version with smaller body with built-in grip and stacked crop senser - I can but dream and wait to see what magic Canon comes up with

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Interesting. Since you own both, can you share during which photo event, would you pick the 1Dxiii over your R5 body and why?
When I am hiking during iffy weather I will take the 1dx3. If I am shooting wildlife in my blind I will usually take the 1dx3. That being said I find shooting video with the R5 better than the 1dx3. I don't find the quality better but the autofocus is better. I usually don't have oof footage with the r5, but with the 1dx3 there usually is some to cut. I don't really have overheating issues with the R5, but I usually shoot 8k DCI instead of raw. Battery life is rough with the R5 and video. I ended up buying a Jackery and solar panel for my photo blind.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Nonsense. What it sounds like is, you're confusing what you want with what the market wants. Do you think Canon just randomly chooses what features to include? They don't do market research? Who sells more cameras, remind me?

Not random, but arbitrary based on their market segmentations and production capacity & investment.

Who knows, if they actually produced a camera based on thorough market research they might sell even more! I was ready to buy into the Canon MILC range three years ago and... still haven't seen a camera from them that is compelling enough.

Amongst my group of Canon-shooting colleagues, only one has bought an RF camera. One out of twenty is a poor ratio and is simply the result of wilfully ignoring what photographers actually want.

And look at the chorus of shooters crying out for DO lenses. Response? Silence. But here are some non-DO telephotos on which we stuck an RF adapter, be a good consumer and buy them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I suspect that the R3 will have 20.1mp @ 30 fps and the R1 will have 30.1mp @ 30 fps. Assuming the evolution of the Dual digic X data throughput capabilities. It's usually the processor's through put that defines the camera's spec. Namely 600mb/s and 900mb/s. Those two figures define your mp / fps numbers, cut your pie how you market segment needs it. For Sports, up the fps ratio / reducing the max mp. For landscape, lower the fps and up the mp. Recently Canon have been matching their Mp to fps in their 1 series cameras. For cameras like the 5D / R5 range, there is a double Mp to FPs ratio.
I can't imagine it being only 20 mp. May as well get R6 with grip and be done with it. Sure, you won't get 30 fps, but still not much difference. At 20 mp, would it even need a stacked sensor?

Upvote 0
Not random, but arbitrary based on their market segmentations and production capacity & investment.

Who knows, if they actually produced a camera based on thorough market research they might sell even more! I was ready to buy into the Canon MILC range three years ago and... still haven't seen a camera from them that is compelling enough.

Amongst my group of Canon-shooting colleagues, only one has bought an RF camera. One out of twenty is a poor ratio and is simply the result of wilfully ignoring what photographers actually want.

And look at the chorus of shooters crying out for DO lenses. Response? Silence. But here are some non-DO telephotos on which we stuck an RF adapter, be a good consumer and buy them.
I'm seeing more and more people in my circle moving to the R5. The biggest impediment has been availability or cost. There are some older users who don't want to give up their OVF (without even trying an EVF) and that group won't buy any mirrorless camera. Considering that Canon is selling the R6/R5 faster than they can make them almost a year later tells me they did their research. You could buy a Z6 II at any random store they day they came out. Get ready for the threads about people complaining they can't get their hands on an R3.

As far as the DO lenses, that chorus is coming from people like us... If the pros who buy the F4 lenses were clamoring for them you can bet they would be available. Canon listens to their pro customers. They are the main market for these lenses and they must not be asking for them. I do agree that the new 600/400 was a bit of a punt, but I suspect that they are a placeholder and the pros they consulted told them they liked their current lens (because they're fantastic) but didn't want to mess with an adapter if they went to RF.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
In most European countries, the R5 costs $5000 (no kidding).
So, we could only dream of cheap $5000 for the R3, which, in my opinion, will be around $6500, if we're lucky...:(
$5800 here, nonetheless :cry:
I'll hazard an uneducated guess we get the official announcement in early June, have it for photogs to test at Olympics, and an official release in the beginning of August maybe.
"This is not the Olympics Year you're looking for". We may not have an Olympics Summer games this year at all, due to the 4th COVID wave in Japan :(
Time will tell.

Upvote 0
I am not surprised with the stacked sensor - Canon has been filing patents for this tech for some time. Petapixel showed one of these patents back in January.
hah. petapixel? I've discovered and talked about most of the stacked sensor patents including that one. You know .. the source of petapixel's article? ;)

No, that one wasn't the key though this here is the key to Canon doing stacked sensors:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I suspect that the R3 will have 20.1mp @ 30 fps and the R1 will have 30.1mp @ 30 fps. Assuming the evolution of the Dual digic X data throughput capabilities. It's usually the processor's through put that defines the camera's spec. Namely 600mb/s and 900mb/s. Those two figures define your mp / fps numbers, cut your pie how you market segment needs it. For Sports, up the fps ratio / reducing the max mp. For landscape, lower the fps and up the mp. Recently Canon have been matching their Mp to fps in their 1 series cameras. For cameras like the 5D / R5 range, there is a double Mp to FPs ratio.
I don't think so.

Just because of the Olympic games 8K is a big thing.

so for one or both of them not to be able to do 8K seems like a weird omission. however canon will have to bring back mRAW and sRAW options I think.

I still haven't wrapped my head around what Canon could bring to the Olympics and then turn around and "make better" in 1-2 years for the R1.

Global Shutter is definitely in the table, because if Canon can now do stacked sensors, any limitation on global shutter sensors just literally flies out the window. There can be no DR penalty with a stacked global shutter sensor. It's just technically difficult, therefore, expensive. But people think that because the sensor is expensive, then the camera will cost thousands more, probably not really the case.

This is where I wish chipworks now techinsights was actually better at what they did as they work 10 years ago because it would be damned nice to see them take apart this R3 sensor and see how it ticks.

I have to write up a "what this means" kind of summary I think, but I have to look through patents now.. I'm late today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
There are some older users who don't want to give up their OVF (without even trying an EVF) and that group won't buy any mirrorless camera.
While I switched to the R5, I must say: the viewfinder is realy disapointing. Compared to my 1DX the EVF in the R5 is reeeealy tiny. I also had a Panasonic S1H and the EVF is a night and day difference to the R5. Feels like twice the size, much brighter...
I think when Canon finaly implements a good and big(!) Viewfinder, this will accelerate the swich to mirrorless. I expect to see finaly a good viewfinder in the R1. The R3 once again looks like they implemented this ant-viewfinder from the R5. Though I hope I am wrong.
If the R3 offers the same features like the R5 but with the 1DX Buttonlayout, full-size-hdmi and (most important) non overheating 4k0 and 4khq (maybe 4k raw!) than this would be an instant buy for me. I would change one R5 in a heartbeat and keep the other one for travel =)

Upvote 0
I can't say I'm a seasoned and tech savvy observer of the digital imaging market, but I suspected something like this would happen. Canon R&D may be a straight line with a positive slope in the lab, but shipping products can take great leaps that do not follow step-wise from the last product cycle. I would not be surprised if the 1R is that global shutter, quad pixel beast everyone dreams on. And it will work out of the box because that seems to be how Canon rolls. Of course, I would be wholly in the dark without the excellent reporting provided by Canon New and Canon Rumors!
I am. I would have thought we would have seen BSI first, before Canon jumped all the way to stacked. I was waiting for that indicator to show that Canon was ready. You can't really do stacked sensors until you do BSI. (there is one method of using FSI sensors and stacked, but it's pretty complicated - no one does it)

This sensor is going to have a very low yield just because of the technologies that Canon has to bring to the table that they've never done before. it's not just a matter of shoving two chips together and calling it a day, BSI itself is a complicated process, and then on top of that you're going to do a stacked design, and usually on your second (and third layer) you have a much smaller design rules - something that Canon didn't have in house. Therefore, when Canon finally releases the R3, and you want it - preorder it fast.

We haven't seen any engineering proofs, or any IEEE papers, notta. Canon was clearly on FSI sensors even in their engineering papers.

But yes, quad pixel? on the table. Global shutter? on the table.

Global shutter is what Canon is gunning across the board for their video cameras and also their stills cameras. It allows canon to completely remove any mechanical hindrance to their cameras, improve their video cameras immensely, which of course reduces design, manufacturing, QA/QC, and also maintenance and warranty support.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
But yes, quad pixel? on the table. Global shutter? on the table.

Global shutter is what Canon is gunning across the board for their video cameras and also their stills cameras. It allows canon to completely remove any mechanical hindrance to their cameras, improve their video cameras immensely, which of course reduces design, manufacturing, QA/QC, and also maintenance and warranty support.
I 100% expect Canon to talk about "infinite shutter life" when the R1 gets announced with a global shutter some day. It's a big selling point that the camera would have absolutely 0 moving parts and (basically) just can't break on its own.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Good grief, this doesn't answer many of my own questions!

"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras. "

I forget who said it in the last thread, but they were bang on when they guessed that Canon was trying its best to not "replace" the 1DX immediately.

Considering that this is a stacked sensor dual-pixel design, I definitely think the R1 is still coming further down the line with a global shutter and quad-pixel AF. The only question is if that's next year or the year after.

This is going to make my choices much more difficult. I was sold on replacing my 1DX2 with an R1, but clearly Canon isn't yet ready to call this camera a 1-series camera if they say it's between the R5 and 1DX in their lineup.
Maybe you should wait for the R1 ll. I'm sure it will be much more advanced than the R1.

• Haha
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think the market for the R3 are professionals that buy their own gear (ie not employed by a large organization) and people like us who have enough money and passion to want a better camera but may balk at the likely $8k price tag of the R1.

This is where I'm at at the moment. For all my paid freelance work, I use my own gear.

Back when I was freelancing full-time, I was more than happy to get the $6500 1DX mark II shortly after release to make the move up from the 5D mark III to a 1-series camera for my sports/breaking news work, and got plenty return on that investment. But now that I have a full-time video job with my freelance work on the side, it's a little more tricky to justify $7000-8500 on one camera for my part-time freelance work.

That said, I do want to fully move my system to the RF mount, and have been planning on selling some of my EF line-up to move my 1D over to the RF mount when the time comes. I have some of my EF gear lined up to sell for around $6500, having expected I'd probably have to drop an extra $1000 out of pocket for a $7500 R1. If Canon releases the R3 for $5500, it will make far more business sense for me to get the R3 and use then use the extra $2000 to pick up the RF 24-70mm.

At the end of the day, I think something like the R3 is an excellent way to help mid-level pros transition to the RF mount with extra money to spend on lenses, if it does come in under the 1DX3's price.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Interesting. Since you own both, can you share during which photo event, would you pick the 1Dxiii over your R5 body and why?
I'm not who you're replying to, but for me I use my 1DX mark II as my wide-angle body with my EF 24-70L II, with my R5 on the RF 70-200. I don't tend to crop my wide-angle news photographs much, so I don't mind the lower resolution on it. The newspapers I work with all downscale their final images to 2000 pixels on the long end, which is only 2 megapixels anyway.

I also have been in a few situations for breaking news during an absolute downpour where I've only grabbed the 1DX mark II and ran into the rain, since I'm not very worried about a 1D camera in the rain. The R5 has never given me problems in the rain, but it's still not a 1D and in certain situations I'd rather not risk it. I have high-end weather covers, but sometimes news happens too fast to put those on.

Once or twice I've also used my 1DX2 as my primary camera on huge all-day cross-country sporting events where I know I won't need to crop, and would rather have 8000 20-megapixel raw files than deal with 8000 45-megapixel raw files. But I've upgraded my laptop and doubled all of my storage drives to make up for the doubled filesize, so it's less of a problem now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Well, that's why I wrote it. Most people think opposite, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

First of all, this is following very close to the release of the 1DXIII, and it doesn't sound like it is meant to replace that.

Secondly, with the R5, Canon has demonstrated they have technology for very fast sensor-readout now, even using non-stacked design. The readout speed from R5's 45MP sensor is actually very similar to the 12MP sensor in Sony A7S3 and to the 24MP stacked sensors in the A9II (and much much faster than the 20MP sensor in R6/1DXIII). So why waste stacked sensor design on a low megapixel sensor, unless it is for a completely insane fast camera? And yes, the promised 30fps is really fast, but not insane fast.

My guess is R3 could be using a stacked variant of R5's 45MP sensor design.

Yes, we are all guessing and speculating :)
I‘m thinking the same thing: a stacked variant of the R5.

Upvote 0