Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

May 12, 2011
Anyone complaining about the video please buy a Sony A7SII. I shot video on the 5D2 and 5D3 for years and still do sometimes, but I don't regret switching to Sony for video one bit. It's light years ahead of the Canon in terms of video quality, DR and low-light capabilities. I still love my Canon's for shooting stills and love my Canon glass, but for video I've moved on.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
M_S said:
My thoughts on the matter.
Concerning the actual facts that have come out and comparing that to my Mark III.

Pros:
* Resolution is a welcome upgrade. I expected more in the region of 32-36 MP, but I am fine with that.
* AF system: very good indeed
* face tracking looked incredible good in the videos
* touchscreen all the time: looks very good, although I guess I would use it only for pinching in and using the Q-Menu, as these fields a bigger and easier to push as the unaltered old menu system. And with the adjustments I made to the button layout I am satisfied with speed I get in changing settings already.
* WIFI
* GPS
* USB 3 (although USB C would have been nice too)

Cons:
* Starting price here in Germany. Way to high for me, making an instant buy impossible and other options more attractive
* no 50/60fps in 4K. Would have been nice
* no 100/120fps in 1080. This is a bit disappointing.
* no 4k over HDMI (one thing even ML can't fix, as this seems to be a hardware limitation of the interface v.1.3). And this is really a big bummer as you are very restricted then. For me the biggest con.
* 4K video codec will fill up your card very fast. With no way of getting the data out of the camera to an external recording device with better codec. Very big bummer.
* UHS I on the SD side is a huge letdown and what Canon thought of that is beyond me
* buffer size in conjunction with the slower card-interface will possibly cause some problems in certain situations, but that has to be seen

Unsure:
* sensor performance.

I had planned to upgrade from my Mark III, but looking at that list I have to sleep over it. For sure I will wait for Photokina and see whats planned elsewhere and descide from there.

RayValdez360 said:
The cameras are more than crippled. It's like they cut the limbs off...

Thoughtful, well-reasoned comment vs. asinine, hyperbolic rant. I trust you can appreciate the difference. Hopefully you don't feel picked-on.

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
Anyone complaining about the video please buy a Sony A7SII. I shot video on the 5D2 and 5D3 for years and still do sometimes, but I don't regret switching to Sony for video one bit. It's light years ahead of the Canon in terms of video quality, DR and low-light capabilities. I still love my Canon's for shooting stills and love my Canon glass, but for video I've moved on.

----> YESSSS! +1 TY so much!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
M_S said:
Jack Douglas said:
Regarding the insanity, it's primarily caused by folk with lower posting numbers that that fly in and fly out, generally with little positive to offer. Otherwise CR is a pretty decent place to frequent, especially outside the gear threads. Of course there are exceptions. And then there is our beloved Dilbert.

Jack
You know, that comes with the tone here. It is "shut up" and "cry if you can, nobody cares", if you have a different opinion or follow a different line. Some guys simply say what they expected and get bashed down for being ignorant and selfish. Having read a lot in the forum in the last half year, I can clearly say, that that neuro guy is one of the worst pickers here. So in all due respect: if thats not pissing people off, i don't know. Open minded people will react in another way and argue differently than writing crap under the hood of irony and sarcasm.

If you live by the sword you die by the sword. Respect begats respect. It seems you haven't been around CR posting long enough to understand that while we get sick of the massive, often unjustified pointless inane bashing, we are generally fair, respectful and open minded. And as much as you don't like it I'm guessing you will be fly in fly out. If not, stick around and you'll see things settle down and more enjoyable and informative exchanges will be the norm.

Jack

Upvote 0
Guillaume GLEIZE said:
Axilrod said:

----> YESSSS! +1 TY so much!

There are lots of rumors circulating about the next Sony A7's too. We'll see. I won't be buying this 5DIV. I was hoping it would be better than it is.

Upvote 0
AdamWCohenVisuals said:
It looks like a very decent upgrade from every perspective, but in the end the only way to really evaluate this camera isn't by its specs but by its operation and execution. I'll be at Melville, NY on Monday with some of my favorite lenses (35Lmk2, 85mk2, 100Lmacro, 70-200 f2.8Lmk2), a pair of 600exrts, a tripod and my 5D3 so I can take some side-by-side shots and check out things like AF performance, low-iso noise, buffer, the touch screen, low-light AF captures, et cetera. I hope I can give it a workout. I'm looking forward to feeling its weight difference (it's a little lighter).

Of course it will be better than the 5D3. How much better in use and IQ, I wonder? The 5D3 price will fall now so the Big Q for me is about which Price:performance ratio is going to be more compelling. I have a pair of 5D3s, but this might be an ideal time to pick up another and keep enjoying this camera for another couple of years. The 5D4 isn't going to get me more work, but if I feel like my hit rate will be better or if the IQ really stands out to me, I may jump on this new thang.

Absolutely.

For others: this is the kind of newbie that gets appreciation round here. Not Canon praise, but a bit of perspective and ability to see different viewpoints. Those moaning about being picked on: the people who've posted most here have been around the forum a long time, and have seen countless accounts set up just to moan, or propose a boring and generally untrue line (take your pick: Canon is doomed/screwing us/incapable of competing with Sony are the main themes). If you create a new account and immediately launch into an unhinged tirade, expect people to challenge you. That's not bullying, it's a reasonable response.

Upvote 0
It is a pity that this camera is still using the the old USB 3 connector and not the more versatile USB-C which can used as an USB, HDMI and network connection and that all at the same time/concurrent. Probably Canon is not yet on speed which the Canon 5D MKIV to offer current technology.

Only one connector for all is the future that is already present.

Upvote 0
msatter said:
It is a pity that this camera is still using the the old USB 3 connector and not the more versatile USB-C which can used as an USB, HDMI and network connection and that all at the same time/concurrent. Probably Canon is not yet on speed which the Canon 5D MKIV to offer current technology.

Not really the "future". The future technology will be fiber optic.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
msatter said:

LOL
USB-C is the past, Thunderbolt 3 / 4 / 5 etc... is the future. I would prefer a direct connection to my brain although.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
Jopa said:
msatter said:

LOL
USB-C is the past, Thunderbolt 3 / 4 / 5 etc... is the future. I would prefer a direct connection to my brain although.

Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C as a physical connector. So it's not that out of context.

Upvote 0
Has anyone thought about what the dual pixel raw feature could mean? Focus stacking could be possible at lower ISO's with zero to little focus breathing and in the same frame which is great if you have something moving through the frame. This means you could shoot at the optimal aperture of your lens (f8 or so) and get more depth of field without the degradation (diffraction) that comes into play by shooting at f16 or whatever. I'm re-thinking. I may buy this camera but I'll wait till we have more information.

Upvote 0