Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

I get the point about a comma after Dual Pixel RAW***

However, there is no point in adding 'DLO during JPEG shooting' as a prominent bullet when that has been present in the 5D previously. This may well be a much more advance form of DLO and diffraction correction but the concern is that it is limited to in-camera JPEGs

Upvote 0
A word of advice, don't believe any of the canon affiliated YouTube videos about it, wait for Independant reviews. I love my 1dx2 but believed all the early video hype about it being a stop cleaner high iso than the 1dx, so, that was bs in hindsight, they flat out lie to u, including those fancy photographers, basically anyone that gets it before release is compromised

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
eoren1 said:

However, there is no point in adding 'DLO during JPEG shooting' as a prominent bullet when that has been present in the 5D previously. This may well be a much more advance form of DLO and diffraction correction but the concern is that it is limited to in-camera JPEGs
No it wasn't. DLO is only in the 1dx mark ii.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
unfocused said:
davidj said:
Body only: $3,499
Body + 24-105 kit: $4599
24-105: $1,099

Why buy the kit? If my maths is right, it saves no money than buying separately (and actually costs a dollar more).

I noticed this too. It's pretty much the same with the 24-70 as well. I don't recall if this is typical or not, but I don't think it is.
Maybe this will change quickly. Also this situation may be different in Europe where prices are much higher...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
eoren1 said:

Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.

They are listing three different image-correction features. DP-RAW writes out RAW files (twice the size of regular RAW files), not JPGs.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
eoren1 said:

I stand corrected, DLO could be set to ON in the 5DmkIII but required DPP in post
In the 5DmkIV, DLO can be done in-camera on JPEGs

For those who only shoot RAW, it barely deserves the bullet point let alone any glorification as Dual Pixel RAW.

I hope I'm wrong in my reading and that Canon truly has something useful to do with that new tech.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
eoren1 said:

Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.

They are listing three different image-correction features. DP-RAW writes out RAW files (twice the size of regular RAW files), not JPGs.

Oxford comma would have been very helpful here ;)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Talley said:
I read it as you may not get any dual pixel raw benefits if your taking landscapes but it's more for portrait... says results may vary type thing depending on the shooting situation.

I think without a doubt it will be a focus shift AND allow for greater and/or tighter DOF adjustment albiet small changes.

Sure it's going to vary. Your latitude to adjust peak focus is going to be a whole lot bigger if you shot at f8 on a 24mm lens, 20 feet from your target vs f2 on a 135mm at 3 feet. I'm sure it wont matter whether you shoot landscape or portrait. It's going to depend on focal length, distance to target, and aperture (DOF)

Upvote 0
You are exactly right! All these "Explorers of Light" and ANYONE that gets anything from Canon or ANY brand in advance, are not to be trusted.

KiagiJ said:
A word of advice, don't believe any of the canon affiliated YouTube videos about it, wait for Independant reviews. I love my 1dx2 but believed all the early video hype about it being a stop cleaner high iso than the 1dx, so, that was bs in hindsight, they flat out lie to u, including those fancy photographers, basically anyone that gets it before release is compromised

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Pompo said:
You are exactly right! All these "Explorers of Light" and ANYONE that gets anything from Canon or ANY brand in advance, are not to be trusted.

KiagiJ said:

I shot with both. Maybe he was using his wrong. Or never used one...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
eoren1 said:
rrcphoto said:
eoren1 said:

I stand corrected, DLO could be set to ON in the 5DmkIII but required DPP in post

For those who only shoot RAW, it barely deserves the bullet point let alone any glorification as Dual Pixel RAW.

I hope I'm wrong in my reading and that Canon truly has something useful to do with that new tech.
I have no idea how you are reading that.

Dlo in camera is a big thing. It does 18 different corrections for AA filter, aperture, diffraction, and lens abberations. And no you don't set it in camera in the 5d mark iii either. It's like having dxooptics pro in camera for jpeg only shooters.

Alot of people ARE jpeg shooters.

There is a comma there,so I have no idea why you think they are related

Upvote 0

marvinhello

Canon 1D C user
Feb 28, 2012
UK
eoren1 said:
rrcphoto said:
eoren1 said:

On 5D III, peripheral illumination correction and chromatic abberation correction can be applied to JPEGs in camera (if the lens is compatible), it also applies in real time during video shooting as well.

Since 7D II, 5DS/R and 1DX II, Canon added diffraction correction and distortion correction, these two new corrections cannot be used when shooting video.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
marvinhello said:
eoren1 said:
rrcphoto said:
eoren1 said:

On 5D III, peripheral illumination correction and chromatic abberation correction can be applied to JPEGs in camera (if the lens is compatible), it also applies in real time during video shooting as well.

Since 7D II, 5DS/R and 1DX II, Canon added diffraction correction and distortion correction, these two new corrections cannot be used when shooting video.

That's not DLO.

here's a description of DLO .. since there's obviously some confusion.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dlo/effect/index.html

Edit: the 7D Mark II does not have in camera diffraction correction and I don't think it's in the 5Ds either.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
PureClassA said:
I'm sure it wont matter whether you shoot landscape or portrait. It's going to depend on focal length, distance to target, and aperture (DOF)

But it will matter whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation, because of the directionality of the dual pixels.

does make sense.

Upvote 0
Pompo said:

KiagiJ said:

Very true. And true for all brands. If you get the camera early, you are beholden to the company and probably get a nice discount too. Hard to be 100% honest when you have a financial tie and privilege.

The Sony, Fuji and Olympus ambassadors are especially egregious because every one of them (that I've seen) uses the word "Review" in their product launch articles. This is to make readers (and Google) think those are bona fide independent reviews and not directly tied to a manufacturer's marketing launch. It effectively sucks up all the initial Google searches for actual reviews of the product. Some include a disclaimer about their affiliation at the top, but some sneakily put it at the bottom or on their bio page.

Product launch articles are not Reviews and should not be titled as such. Misleading. Misleading. Misleading. I sincerely hope the Canon ambassadors don't play this phony "Review" game.

Upvote 0