Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

'Since 7D II, 5DS/R and 1DX II, Canon added diffraction correction and distortion correction, these two new corrections cannot be used when shooting video'

It's annoying u can't have distortion correction during video, and doesn't make sense. I noticed on my 1dx2 there's a live feed of distortion correction in live view, so, why can't it just record that at the same time? ugh

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
PureClassA said:
Well that confirms pretty much everything. Kudos to CR again for getting it all out in advance.

Looks like a great camera. Off to buy a 1DX2 instead ;D

I'm kinda leaning that way too (but I'll get a 1Dx). I'm not a fan of full sized, but i can get used to it, and am getting a 600/4 with which it will pair nicely.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
3 hours before dpreview puts the camera down as the fail of the year and does a shoutout to sony.. 8)
DPR dude is still recycling same articles written comparing 1dx2 with D5 during 1dx2 release. He even claimed video is not important for D5 target group when competing camera 1dx2 went big with video features. ;D ;D . Then complained about lack of some video features on 1dx2 compared to competition. After all the stuff he wrote about importance of low ISO DR, he declared D5 low ISO DR is not a problem except for hardcore landscape shooters. He even compared D5 DR with 6D for his satisfaction. ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ritholtz said:
rrcphoto said:
3 hours before dpreview puts the camera down as the fail of the year and does a shoutout to sony.. 8)
DPR dude is still recycling same articles written comparing 1dx2 with D5 during 1dx2 release. He even claimed video is not important for D5 target group when competing camera 1dx2 went big with video features. ;D ;D . Then complained about lack of some video features on 1dx2 compared to competition. After all the stuff he wrote about importance of low ISO DR, he declared D5 low ISO DR is not a problem except for hardcore landscape shooters. He even compared D5 DR with 6D and expressed his happiness. ;D ;D

not to mention there was no mention really outside of the DR page of the D5's simply incredibly horrible banding.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
ritholtz said:
rrcphoto said:
DPR dude is still recycling same articles written comparing 1dx2 with D5 during 1dx2 release. He even claimed video is not important for D5 target group when competing camera 1dx2 went big with video features. ;D ;D . Then complained about lack of some video features on 1dx2 compared to competition. After all the stuff he wrote about importance of low ISO DR, he declared D5 low ISO DR is not a problem except for hardcore landscape shooters. He even compared D5 DR with 6D and expressed his happiness. ;D ;D

not to mention there was no mention really outside of the DR page of the D5's simply incredibly horrible banding.
Yah. He chooses the context to put Canon down. When it comes to Nikon, he goes with different context and brings target group into criteria if needed. They started saying how 80D specs are inferior compared to competition who are offering superior video specs. Then for D5, he says video is not important for that target group. I do not know why Canon bothered putting in so much effort into video on 1DX2 if it is not important.

Upvote 0
It really depends upon the quality factors and usability factors.

For video, canon DIGIC 6 and non-oversampled video even match the old A7R II 4k for quality or will it be soft or waxy as usual? Did they even leave C-LOG out too? Did they once again leave out the most basic, low level usability features such as 100% live zoom box for focusing, focus peaking and zebras?

For stills will the sensor stand up to what Nikon gets out of Exmor?

Just going by 5D3, 1DC, 1DX2, 80D I unfortunately have doubts, but it would be awesome if they do deliver all the above and would be a hell of a camera.

Would also be about time they linked metering to AF point. If it does all of the above though I can forgive linked metering though. If it doesn't do all of the above then it seems a bit crippled for this late of an arrival (sensor performance still not a match for best of 4 years ago, video not as good as that from more than a year ago, still no metering to AF point, etc.).

If the fact you can set LCD color temp also implies it's fairly well calibrated that would be a very, very handy thing indeed. The apparent all points f/8 with extenders and tons more high precision AF sounds good. 7fps is OK, may quickly seem a touch weak for the class though, but if they actually do pull off all of the above, not the end of the world since if you got top quality and usable 4k video, an Exmor sensor quality and calibrated LCD and Canon UI and Canon lenses 7fps not being 8-9fps can easily be overlooked.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
3kramd5 said:
PureClassA said:
Well that confirms pretty much everything. Kudos to CR again for getting it all out in advance.

I'm kinda leaning that way too (but I'll get a 1Dx). I'm not a fan of full sized, but i can get used to it, and am getting a 600/4 with which it will pair nicely.

Feeling a little that way myself. I haven't had a 1-Series since a 1D MkIV, retired it only last year.
Just sitting tight for the full, complete, unabridged spec list on the 5D MkIV, but have to say that 1DX MkII is looking good.

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
3kramd5 said:
PureClassA said:

Feeling a little that way myself. I haven't had a 1-Series since a 1D MkIV, retired it only last year.
Just sitting tight for the full, complete, unabridged spec list on the 5D MkIV, but have to say that 1DX MkII is looking good.

-pw

Same here, and to be honest I am not blown away by the specs. iso range from 100-3200 ... does this mean no improvements (or even worse) iso performance? If so, 1DXII here i come!

Upvote 0
"This sounds weird though...
*** When lens diaphragm setting is fully open, adjustment volume and compensation effect are emphasized. Sufficient adjustment volume and compensation effect may not be achieved, depending on lens in use and shooting conditions. Adjustment volume and compensation effect vary depending on camera position (landscape or portrait). Sufficient adjustment volume and compensation effect may not be achieved depending on the shooting conditions."

I agree. That one totally baffled me! lol

Upvote 0
From DPReview on Dual-Pixel RAW:

Dual Pixel Raw

For the first time, the 5D IV will be able to save double-size Raw files that store data from the left- and right-facing separately. This information can then be used in a variety of ways.

Micro Adjust

Because the left and right-facing pixels see a slightly different perspective of the scene, it's possible to take advantage of this slight separation. Just as Lytro's light field camera split light across multiple pixels to capture where the light had come from, the Canon gains a tiny bit of insight into the direction that the light has arrived from. And, like the Lytro, this then allows you to render the image as if focused on a slightly different point, but with a very different trade-off being struck between resolution and degree of refocusability.

This means you can render an image with a very slightly different point of focus, as you process in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. With the Lytro, you gained greater refocusability when you shot close-up (just as you usually get shallower depth-of-field in conventional photography), so we believe the degree to which you can effectively correct focus to be commensurate with how shallow the depth of field is in your shot.

Even so, we expect the degree of correction to be very small, which would explain Canon's repeated concerns about comparisons to Lytro or suggestions that focus itself was being changed.

Bokeh shift

Another use of the two slightly different views is the ability to view the out-of-focus regions of the image from either perspective. You can shift the position of the bokeh slightly, from one position to the other. We're not entirely sure why, but you can.

Flare reduction

It's actually the least exciting sounding use of the Dual Pixel Raw that may be the most useful. Because flare tends to come from light coming in from one side of the lens, it means that it will only be seen by either the left or right-looking pixels. This means that information from the other half of the sensor can be used selectively to cancel-out the effect of this flare (on those occasions where it wasn't an intentional part of your capture.)

Upvote 0