Canon Announces the EOS M6

I'm exactly on this wagon. I really like the M5 because of the EVF, but I still own the original M and I've been able to go thru any security check while going to concerts or events, because most people think that it's a regular point-and-shoot camera and I've great photos that people hardly believe I've taken with that little thing. With the embedded EVF I doubt that I would have such luck to sneak it in. To me the M6 is perfect for that need, plus the M has been the perfect travel companion that I've scarcely taken my old 60D on the road. Canon can take my money now ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Just noticed there is no drag AF on the M6, so I will be getting the M5.

As an aside for those with objections to the M5 downward flipping screen, I have a cheap little gizmo from Tethertools that slips in the hotshoe and gives you a 1/4 20 threaded hole to mount on a tripod, just shoot upside down and invert the picture or footage, you get a screen that flips 'up'.

https://www.tethertools.com/product/rock-solid-mighty-mount-hot-shoe/

Upvote 0
Zv said:
The only question that remains now is - do I want the black one or the silver one? ;D

We go for a silver one, plus 22mm lens :) Still have to think about EVF, as version 1 is ugly as hell, version 2 does not tilt (typically stupid Canon). As for getting one with some kit-lens, I just don't know - 15-45 is cheaper, but not so universal, 18-150 kit seems to be much more expensive. In overall, not sure about the quality. We bough 18-135 with our 70D and now it sits in the corner, at least for our studio work - not decently sharp ...

Upvote 0
niraj_photo said:
I have a few doubts.
1. Who is the M6 really targeted to - beginners, prosumers? or can a professional in wedding/portrait photography use it as well.
2. If the external electronic view finder is attached, how does someone attach a radio trigger for off camera flash?

thnx

We do also weddings and I plan on M6 as an backup and all arounder. As for external EVF - I am tempted to get one but exactly the same thing worries me. We use Elinchrom ELB 400 with high speed sync. I still might get external EVF for other purposes, but with no-tilting Canon made the decision a bit easier - not getting one and no, DC1 ugly beast is not an option ...

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
privatebydesign said:

sorry private, dont get it - can you please explain ... "no drag AF" ?
do you mean, that unlike M5, one cannot select and drag AF point around on touchscreen (with thumb)
while loklong into EVF) on M6?
i have seen in specs that M6 LCD is slighty smaller than on M5 (3" vs 3.2) and lower rez, but nothing re. AF user interface? can you point out source for this info?

this is something that would let me hesitate too, whether M6 or M5.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
privatebydesign said:

do you mean, that unlike M5, one cannot select and drag AF point around on touchscreen (with thumb)
i have seen in specs that M6 LCD is slighty smaller than on M5 (3" vs 3.2) and lower rez, but nothing re. AF user interface? can you point out source for this info?

I would also like to know this though not a deal breaker. My guess is that since it doesn't have an EVF built in that feature would be missing. Though if they're using the same sensor and AF as M5 you'd think the feature would exist somewhere in the firmware. Maybe something they could update in the future? Seems a bit odd to disable that though now I think about it.

It's almost like Canon doesn't want you to use the optional EVF (high price and lack of features suggest this) and instead want you to buy the M5 instead. ::)

Not this guy though! Don't care for EVFs, more than happy with M6 specs so far.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
one more question, maybe someone here has already an answer to it:

New BR-E1 bluetooth remote: specs/articles explicitly state it is compatible with both EOS 77D and 800D ... but M6 is not mentioned. Does anyone know, whether or not it will work with M6 and/or M5?

I would be interested in this BT remote control - even at 50 Euro - as it would free me from line of sight infrared ... currently I use RC-1 IR remote with both my 5D3 and EOS M 1st gen. With BT remote I could trigger camera also "from behind" and from some distance. With IR I have to point remote control at front of camera [receiver window in front-grip].

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
AvTvM said:
privatebydesign said:

Unlike the M5, the drag AF is mentioned nowhere by Canon in its published M6 features or specifications. So it is more by this omission that it is assumed it isn't present.

It may be a restriction of using the smaller LCD, but given that it has no EVF they probably feel it can be omitted as most M6 users will not buy the external EVF. And heck they need some plus points to persuade people to buy the more expensive M5.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

AvTvM said:

New BR-E1 bluetooth remote: specs/articles explicitly state it is compatible with both EOS 77D and 800D ... but M6 is not mentioned. Does anyone know, whether or not it will work with M6 and/or M5?

I would be interested in this BT remote control - even at 50 Euro - as it would free me from line of sight infrared ... currently I use RC-1 IR remote with both my 5D3 and EOS M 1st gen. With BT remote I could trigger camera also "from behind" and from some distance. With IR I have to point remote control at front of camera [receiver window in front-grip].

Today I wrote this exact same question to Canon. hopefully they will respond soon. I also asked, if the BR-E1 is not compatible with M5/6 currently if it is planned to change this via firmware update.

Once I have build my own radio trigger for my EOS M. I combined a RC-1 with a yongnuo 602 radio trigger. This way I was able to release the camera from a distance of approx. 30feet and without the need from line of sight.-> http://mx5-twins.de/Bastelecke/EOS_M_Funkausloeser.pdf

Frank

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
jjesp said:
Tried to see in the specifications, with no luck... No Back Button Focus? There is an AE lock. Maybe you can customize this button to do the focusing instead of the shutter button?

M6 and M5 have exactly the same Button layout on back. I'd certainly think "*" Button can be configured for "back button AF" - as in other EOS cameras.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Photorex said:
AvTvM said:

Today I wrote this exact same question to Canon. hopefully they will respond soon. I also asked, if the BR-E1 is not compatible with M5/6 currently if it is planned to change this via firmware update.

Once I have build my own radio trigger for my EOS M. I combined a RC-1 with a yongnuo 602 radio trigger. This way I was able to release the camera from a distance of approx. 30feet and without the need from line of sight.-> http://mx5-twins.de/Bastelecke/EOS_M_Funkausloeser.pdf

Frank

very nice! Thanks! Looking forward to Canon's response.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2016
AvTvM said:
jjesp said:
Tried to see in the specifications, with no luck... No Back Button Focus? There is an AE lock. Maybe you can customize this button to do the focusing instead of the shutter button?

M6 and M5 have exactly the same Button layout on back. I'd certainly think "*" Button can be configured for "back button AF" - as in other EOS cameras.

Great, thanks! I am thinking, this could be a nice street camera for me, with the 22mm f/2. But lets see how far that setup is from the Fuji x-100f in price. As I can see there will be no M6+22mm kit... And then it will be close to the Fuji, when it comes to the price. (I know, very different cameras)

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
This is getting interesting: The M6 has no drag AF, *and* it has a smaller, lower-res LCD monitor?

So it's sounding like it's *not* quite "an M5 without the built-in EVF" after all!

If true, this makes me swing back to preferring the M5.

Anyone know of any other shortcomings of the M6, like those cited above (apart from the smaller body)?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Photorex said:

Frank
Answer from Canon Germany today:
Unfortunately we have to tell you that this information regarding the comptibility of the BR-E1 with already existing products is not available as of yet.

So we have to wait until someone tried it or Canon releases this info maybe together with selling start of the BR-E1.

Frank

Upvote 0