Canon announces the PowerShot Golf Laser Rangefinder

As someone who golfs, I think this product is 10 years too late. I would think GPS based phone/smartwatch apps would do this far better.

I use the golf app on my Garmin, watch and it works very well. The course map is already loaded into the watch, and the app uses GPS to tell me how far away from the pin I am. This lets you account for obstacles and any dog-leg turns. You can place a cursor in the app on the landing spot you are aiming for, and the app tells you the distance. This is MUCH better than trying to shoot a laser at some distant object.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
When search this product in youtube, it will shows other regular brand. That means it has its own market.
But is it a large market for Canon to make it?

I don\'t understand why they use the powershot name.
The camera is 400mm. People can\'t take a photo next to him to play golf!

Upvote 0
This product would have made way more sense as a wildlife device that has animal AI tracking and third party animal and bird ID support/SDK for popular wildlife identity apps.
I think that it excatly what this is! As a birder I've been looking for a small binocular to carry in my golf bag. Now I can have a range finder that allow me to switch to 12x magnification when I want to look at an overflying raptor or small bird on a branch. And as a bonus I can document it and further investigate any non-obvious species at home. Perfect for me!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This product would have made way more sense as a wildlife device that has animal AI tracking and third party animal and bird ID support/SDK for popular wildlife identity apps.
as mattias mentioned using one that way I suspect that it is the same going from all the other brands I am familiar with basically make 1 type of range finder and brand them in 2 lines as either wildlife/hunting rangefinders or golf. Sometimes they have slight different features in firmware regarding focus but a lot of the time it seems to just be colourways that differentiate them.

Upvote 0