Canon Announces the PowerShot SX520 HS & SX400 HS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/07/latest-powershot-cameras-deliver-super-zoom-reach-and-creative-imaging-features-to-inspire-endless-photographs-and-videos/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/07/latest-powershot-cameras-deliver-super-zoom-reach-and-creative-imaging-features-to-inspire-endless-photographs-and-videos/">Tweet</a></div>
<i style="color: #000000;">With an Impressive 42x and 30x Optical Zoom, respectively, Canon’s new PowerShot SX520 HS and PowerShot SX400 IS Digital Cameras Provide High-Quality Imaging Tools to Meet Varying User Needs</i><span style="color: #000000;"> </span></p>
<p style="color: #000000;"><b>MELVILLE, N.Y., July 29, 2014</b> - Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced two new compact, super-zoom cameras: the PowerShot SX520 HS and the PowerShot SX400 IS digital cameras. Designed to give users the versatility and telephoto reach they need to capture subjects from far distances, these new cameras are packed with impressive features. The new PowerShot SX520 HS digital camera includes a high-powered 42x Optical Zoom lens (equivalent to 24-1008mm) and the Canon HS SYSTEM for clear sharp images and Full HD Video. With a 30x Optical Zoom (equivalent to 24-720mm), the PowerShot SX400 IS digital camera allows photographers to capture the moments that mean the most to them quickly and easily, even at long range.</p>
<p style="color: #000000;">“Our goal is to provide people who are passionate about photography with the imaging tools they need to capture the moments that inspire them,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “The PowerShot SX520 HS and PowerShot SX400 IS digital cameras offer users features that help produce high quality-images and video with ease allowing them to capture their most creative shots.”</p>
<p style="color: #000000;"><strong>Preorder: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068608-REG/canon_9544b001_powershot_sx520_hs_digital.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">PowerShot SX520 HS at B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068606-REG/canon_9545b001_powershot_sx400_is_digital.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">PowerShot SX400 HS at B&H Photo</a></strong></p>
<p style="color: #000000;"><!--more--></p>
<div style="color: #000000;"><b>The PowerShot SX520 HS Digital Camera</b></div>
<p style="color: #000000;">Building on the features of the PowerShot SX510 HS digital camera, the PowerShot SX520 HS digital camera incorporates a 42x Optical Zoom with Canon’s Optical Image Stabilization, ideal for active families that want to take high-quality close-up shots of their children’s soccer game or dance recitals. In addition to featuring a powerful optical zoom range, the SX520 HS digital camera combines a 16 Megapixeli High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and Canon’s DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to create the Canon HS SYSTEM allowing for excellent low-light performance.</p>
<p style="color: #000000;">Giving users the ability to capture life in motion, the camera features a dedicated movie button so users can easily record 1080p Full HD video utilizing the camera’s full 42x optical zoom capability. The camera also features an enhanced grip for added handling comfort. Additionally, the camera’s Intelligent IS automatically chooses from one of eight modes to help optimize image stabilization for virtually shake-free images in various shooting conditions. The camera’s High Speed AF allows users to achieve fast autofocusing speeds to help capture every shot with ease. The PowerShot SX520 HS digital camera’s advanced Zoom Framing Assist feature intelligently controls the lens, making it easy to locate the main subject by zooming out, and then zooming back in quickly and automatically for dramatic close-ups with face detection where applicable.</p>
<p style="color: #000000;">Upgraded from its predecessor, the PowerShot SX520 HS digital camera features Canon’s Creative Shot mode that uses a combination of lighting, color and composition from the original image to create unique, artistic images. Smart AUTO technology selects 32 different pre-defined scenes for still shots and 21 scenes for video without the need to switch modes, making it possible to take beautiful images and video in a variety of situations. The Hybrid AUTO mode featured in the PowerShot SX520 HS camera creates a beautifully stabilized HD video clip (up to approximately four seconds) every time a user shoots a still image, then compiles the clips into a single movie that forms a “highlighted reel” for the day. This new camera is equipped with a built-in mini-HDMI port that makes it easy to connect to an HD TV set at home or on the road so everyone can comfortably enjoy viewing the footage.</p>
<div style="color: #000000;"><b>The PowerShot SX400 IS Digital Camera</b></div>
<p style="color: #000000;">With a compact design and a powerful 30x Optical Zoom range with Optical Image Stabilizer, the PowerShot SX400 IS digital camera is a versatile camera that can be used daily anytime, anywhere. The 16 Megapixeli CCD sensor and DIGIC 4+ image processor combine with Canon’s Intelligent IS system to provide users with outstanding functionality, while the updated grip design improves handling comfort. With Smart AUTO, the camera identifies an ideal image setting by intelligently selecting from one of 32 pre-defined modes for still shots and 21 scenes for video.</p>
<p style="color: #000000;">The PowerShot SX400 IS digital camera is always ready for action with a dedicated movie button to easily stop and start recording 720p HD video. Additionally, like the PowerShot SX520 HS camera, the PowerShot SX400 IS camera can record even far distances through the use of the camera’s full 30x zoom range. The PowerShot SX400 IS digital camera’s High Speed AF, upgraded from the previous model, helps to reduce lag time so that the perfect shot can be captured quickly and with ease.</p>
<div style="color: #000000;"><b>Pricing and Availability</b></div>
<p style="color: #000000;">The PowerShot SX500 HS digital camera will be available in September 2014 for an estimated retail price of $399.99.</p>
<p style="color: #000000;">The PowerShot SX400 IS digital camera will be available in August 2014 in black or red for an estimated retail price of $249.99.</p>
<p style="color: #000000;"><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

The pricing for the SX520 seems over priced compared to the competition. The Panasonic FZ70 has a 20-1200mm f2.8-f5.9 lens vs the SX520 with 24-1000mm f3.4-6.0. The FZ70 also comes with an EVF and 1080p60 video, both of which are missing on the SX520. The FZ70 came out at the same list price as the SX520 although you can get it for less than $300 now.

Both of these models seem like they are too little and too late to market. This doesn't bode well for the SX60.

Upvote 0
hoodlum said:
The pricing for the SX520 seems over priced compared to the competition. The Panasonic FZ70 has a 20-1200mm f2.8-f5.9 lens vs the SX520 with 24-1000mm f3.4-6.0. The FZ70 also comes with an EVF and 1080p60 video, both of which are missing on the SX520. The FZ70 came out at the same list price as the SX520 although you can get it for less than $300 now.

Both of these models seem like they are too little and too late to market. This doesn't bode well for the SX60.

Even the SX50 outperforms FZ70 continuous AF. Why won't it bode well for SX60? SX50 is even sharper.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ70_FZ72/outdoor_resolution.shtml

Even in the noise department, your FZ70 pales in comparison.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ70_FZ72/RAW_noise.shtml

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
verysimplejason said:
hoodlum said:

Even the SX50 outperforms FZ70 continuous AF. Why won't it bode well for SX60? SX50 is even sharper.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ70_FZ72/outdoor_resolution.shtml

Even in the noise department, your FZ70 pales in comparison.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ70_FZ72/RAW_noise.shtml

That was no contest: the SX50 murdered the opposition in noise and sharpness! Thanks for the links.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Anyone have thoughts about the CMOS versus CCD sensor difference between these two cameras? The CCD sensor may be a reuse from the Elph line, which might be discontinued as Canon pulls out of the low end of the point-and-shoot market. The sensors are the same size, so I am wondering why the same CMOS sensor was not used in both...

Upvote 0
This is sad.

More PowerShots?

Does anyone else not think Canon is fully asleep at the wheel?

I'm a 1DX owner for goodness sake. Where is high MP? Where is innovative mirrorless? Where is any innovation at all?

Please spare me the "it's coming" hooey. There is very little coming. They are in turmoil internally selling into their installed base and ignoring the competition.

Upvote 0
chmod said:
This is sad.

More PowerShots?

I'm a 1DX owner for goodness sake. Where is high MP? Where is innovative mirrorless? Where is any innovation at all?

Please spare me the "it's coming" hooey. There is very little coming. They are in turmoil internally selling into their installed base and ignoring the competition.

Don't worry, they'll come soon enough. If you can't wait, feel free to switch to Nikon. You might want to try 6D first for the meantime. It's not as high-DR/MP as the D810 but it's the best Canon can offer if you're looking for IQ/MP.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
verysimplejason said:
chmod said:
This is sad.

More PowerShots?

Don't worry, they'll come soon enough. If you can't wait, feel free to switch to Nikon. You might want to try 6D first for the meantime. It's not as high-DR/MP as the D810 but it's the best Canon can offer if you're looking for IQ/MP.

The 6D? what the hell?

Upvote 0
slclick said:
verysimplejason said:
chmod said:
This is sad.

More PowerShots?

The 6D? what the hell?

Yup. I've said it. It's not 5D3 nor 1DX. That is if you're not considering AF. If you're shooting stationary (to very slow moving) objects @ apertures not bigger than F2.8 then 6D will give you the best IQ (Moire excluded) among Canon FFs. You can swear a lot more but that's the reality.

Upvote 0
All Canon is rebadge old products and call them new! They have got to release new stuff at some point. It seems competitors are coming up with more new stuff. But I guess just beacuse it's new doesn't mean it's better.

The 30x zoom formula of SX500 and SX510 has finally gone due to HX60/SX700. Now all they have done is put a bigger zoom on it and increased the MP, and of course removed the wifi???? I was hoping SX5xx range was dead now SX700 is out.

SX400 is just a SX500 without any of the manual controls, and somehow it's more expensive???

My future predictions are SX60 with all the bells and whistles, and some sort of SX45 which will be a version with all the controls taken away. SX530 will have wifi and that's it.

Upvote 0

I think I said I own a 1DX. Why would I want to downgrade? You may love the 6D, but it's already out of date.

My 1DX is very, very close to being out of date for the simple reason of Canon wishing to sustain their professional channels. This is their prerogative.

They could have a new high MP unit in the channels NOW. They could have an innovative mirrorless body in the channels NOW.

Instead, they announced new PowerShots? A lame cloud storage system? A partnership with MS? A new iteration of DPP?

You may be happy with these new announcements, and that is your right.

I am not.

Upvote 0