Canon Announces Two New EF Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses and White EOS Rebel SL1 Digital SLR Camera

Jan 22, 2012
Re: Canon Announces Two New EF Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses and White EOS Rebel SL1 Digital SLR Came

16-35 f2.8II was the first lens I ever bought when I got into photography again after 15 years. I was very excited that I had bought (without reading any reviews) a great Canon lens. It was expensive. And then reality hit hard after I took my first few pictures. I could not believe how bad the corners were. Then I slowly realized it was a bad lens and got rid of it. Attached is the photo which I took. Hated the corner sharpness.

Now I have the Zeiss 15mm and 35mm. Canon 24-70 II. But I think this new lens is very tempting.

Attachments

• Jump-Wide-2.jpg
    Jump-Wide-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,066
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Re: Canon Announces Two New EF Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses and White EOS Rebel SL1 Digital SLR Came

Sabaki said:
I must say I just love, love the level of knowledge and the eagerness to share.

I'm a little confused about Lee filters though and was wondering if somebody could just educate me please?

1. The vignetting mentioned in earlier posts at longer focal lengths, is it software removable or is it the actual adaptors that enter the frame?

2. Would a current filter system work with a 12-24 or 14-24 or would a new system need to be developed, based on the dimensions of the front element?

3. Can a filter system be 'adapted up'? Say you purchase a 77mm system and your next lens has a 82mm thread, would a step up 82mm adaptor make the 77mm usable?

4. Kinda similar to question 3. So I can buy a 16-35ii now for a good price and I'll then invest in a Lee system. But if Lee had to create an unique system for the 12/14-24, does that mean having to buy a whole new filter system again?

3. You don't get a 77mm system, you get a system with a 77mm ring adapter. Then you just have to get the 82mm adapter.

2 and 4. Probably unfortunately, either a custom solution or a solution like wonderpana, etc, (when and if it is introduced)

Upvote 0

Maximilian said:
EF 16-35mm IS: 1.019,- €

This is less than expected and good news for the Canon system, obviously Canon doesn't want to go "double the price" premium on all lenses after all.

Upvote 0

tron said:
3. You don't get a 77mm system, you get a system with a 77mm ring adapter. Then you just have to get the 82mm adapter.

2 and 4. Probably unfortunately, either a custom solution or a solution like wonderpana, etc, (when and if it is introduced)

Much appreciated Tron, thanks for answering.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Marsu42 said:
Maximilian said:
EF 16-35mm IS: 1.019,- €

This is less than expected...
yes, I thought that, too.
Seems, that this is the MSRP in Germany.

Upvote 0

Just checked one of the main dealers in Ireland..Wait for it.....

Euro1399 yes thats $1920

In B&H
$1199 = Euro874

I could book a return flight to New York buy the lens and it would be cheaper. Outragous!

In the same shop the 16-35 2.8 is 100 euros more than the f4 version.

Upvote 0

It is interesting to note in the recent B+H article on the new 16-35 F4 Is:

"The EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens has been introduced as an alternative to the current 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens and incorporates an Optical Image Stabilizer."
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-two-new-canon-wide-angle-zoom-lenses?cm_mmc=EML-_-NewAnnouncement-CanonLenses-_-140513-_-Body_Explora_Canon-EF-16-35mm-Lens-ReadArticle

Rather than most of the chatter that it is a replacement for the 17-40.

Upvote 0

sanj said:
16-35 f2.8II was the first lens I ever bought when I got into photography again after 15 years. I was very excited that I had bought (without reading any reviews) a great Canon lens. It was expensive. And then reality hit hard after I took my first few pictures. I could not believe how bad the corners were. Then I slowly realized it was a bad lens and got rid of it. Attached is the photo which I took. Hated the corner sharpness.

Now I have the Zeiss 15mm and 35mm. Canon 24-70 II. But I think this new lens is very tempting.

Excellent shot Sanj - it tells a great story!

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland

sanj said:

I love the 16-35 f/2.8 II for the creative possibilities it provides but full agree with the corner image quality comment and share the same frustration - see bottom left corner in the picture below. I like doing inside architectural work where I've recently tried to use the TS-E 17mm f/4 instead of the 16-35 f/2.8 II. For this I consider the new 16-35 f/4 with a 4-stop IS superior over the 16-35 f/2.8 II - even more so if the corner quality is as good as the MTF charts suggest.

Attachments

• IMG_2362_RoR.jpg
    IMG_2362_RoR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 860
Upvote 0

sagittariansrock said:
The B+W filters are made of brass, the step up rings are anodized aluminum.
Keep a filter wrench handy ;)
Ruh-roh, Raggy! I guess I've been lucky not to crank down on them whee using them. Thanks for the heads-up!

Upvote 0

JustMeOregon said:
The only brass step-up rings that I know of are the ones from Heliopan -- more expensive then the B+W's, but way cheaper then gear with damaged threads... I've used nothing but the Heliopan's for awhile now, and I honestly can't recall ever having them stick.
Thanks for the recommendation. Now... Off to buy some pricey brass rings! Better safe than sorry!

Upvote 0

I think for many photogs this might be the ultimate UWA.

My reasoning is that people tend to focus on IQ and the exotic. The Nikon 14-24 is a wild gem, but you can't put filters on that beast, and do you really need 2.8 for an UWA? Further you gain only an extra 2mm on the bottom end but lose 11mm on the top end compared to a 16-35. I'd contend it's more of a specialty lens, despite the popularity.

This lens is much more versatile ...

• 16-35mm is huge range, having 35mm makes it usable for more than just UWA landscape.
  • IS
  • weather sealing with a sane 77mm
  • Compact size, etc

I use the 16-35II most of the time, this one I think will be on my camera even more. UWA for all the scenery I shoot, and 35mm for the people shots. If I need more light I've got plenty of flashes.

Upvote 0

Tiosabas said:

Euro1399 yes thats $1920

In B&H
$1199 = Euro874

I could book a return flight to New York buy the lens and it would be cheaper. Outragous!

Order it online from Germany/Luxemburg/Holand!.....

Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013

Just wrote this in another thread, so I copy and paste it here.

If you want to compare prices you need to value in customs duties and taxes.

I live in the Netherlands.
For non-EU imports we have to pay customs duties.
Cameras and lenses are 6.7%
On top of that there is the value-added tax (VAT or BTW in Dutch) which is 21%.

The USD – Euro exchange rate today is about 0.73 so $ 1,000 is € 730
€ 730 + 6.7% customs duties = € 779
€ 779 + 21% VAT = € 942

American prices are without tax, so if you want compare these with Dutch prices you need to multiply the USD price by 0.942 => € 1,199*0.942 = € 1,129 which is pretty close to the € 1,099 price tag.
The customs duties in my calculation are based on the retail price, so in reality they will be less because it will be based on what the retailer is paying and not the price you pay in the shop.

If people want to compare prices they need to figure out if they have to pay customs duties and taxes and how high they are for the country they live in.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Sabaki said:
I must say I just love, love the level of knowledge and the eagerness to share.

I'm a little confused about Lee filters though and was wondering if somebody could just educate me please?

1. The vignetting mentioned in earlier posts at longer focal lengths, is it software removable or is it the actual adaptors that enter the frame?

2. Would a current filter system work with a 12-24 or 14-24 or would a new system need to be developed, based on the dimensions of the front element?

3. Can a filter system be 'adapted up'? Say you purchase a 77mm system and your next lens has a 82mm thread, would a step up 82mm adaptor make the 77mm usable?

4. Kinda similar to question 3. So I can buy a 16-35ii now for a good price and I'll then invest in a Lee system. But if Lee had to create an unique system for the 12/14-24, does that mean having to buy a whole new filter system again?

1 = mechanical elements in the FOV. Not correctable through lens vignetting algorithms -- more like a clone tool fix, but I am a rookie with using these. Others may have slicker tricks.

2 = the kick in the butt. Apparently around 15mm (FF) focal length, most manufacturers give up on front-filterability and the Lee system will not work. So if you are using Lee (there are alternatives), their 100mm system is the one most of us use (for the 16-35 II, 24 primes, 17-40, many Zeiss wides, etc.) Well, apparently Lee thought the Nikon 14-24 was worth engineering a specialized workaround for, and they made the SW150 system just for that lens: (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-sw150). As I understand it, it's not as fully functional as the 100 system as it doesn't support something important.. was it a CPL? It's something non-trivial for landscape folks.

3 = as stated my someone else, you get adaptor rings for the lens' filter diameter. That's really the only added cost once you've invested into the system. $50-60 or so if memory serves.

4 = See #2. The Lee 100mm setup is for front-filtering lenses only. That generally means you are locked out of the fun on lenses with a wide end under 16mm or so (FF, I mean). You could hand-hold certain items in front of wider lenses, but depending on the FL, a 4"x6" (i.e. 100mm) filter may not be wide enough to cover the entire FOV. The next time you have a wide angle lens in your hands, look down over the top of it and imagine the comically wide V of the field-of-view, then imagine how big the flat things in front of it need to be when you get 15, 25, 35mm away from the front element. So a lot of really wide angle shooters (say, with the 16-35), have to thin up their Lee holder to only allow one creative tool instead of stacking two or three.

- A

Upvote 0

Zv said:
My thinking is that Canon will make something new like a 14-24 or 12-24 f/2.8 instead of just updating the 16-35 II. If you think about it from a marketing point of view making a version 3 of the same lens is like saying "oh man, it took us three attempts to get it right! Doh, but here you are now!" Or they can be like "hey, look here's something completely new that we cooked up" to help you forget about the version 2.

Also, now with this new 16-35mm f/4 IS anyone needing this particular focal range but not the f/2.8 aperture in a way already have an updated option.

yea the 16-35 f/2.8 II is a conundrum to me, and I suspect Canon's arrogance to continue as well without a version III. They can divert attention from the version II shortcomings by producing key answers to Nikon's present offering as you mention. Those who really want steller IQ at the edges in this focal length range will have several other ways to fulfill their needs. meanwhile the version II will continue to ride on Canon's reputation and the soft-ball glowing reviews that don't want to point out its weaknesses, preferring instead to use such language as "L quality" and "flagship".

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

dilbert said:
Make sure that you understand sales tax in the USA.

In New York City, buying the 16-35/f4L IS over the counter will cost you over $1300.

Except...you can't buy one today, since the lens is only available for preorder. So, you'd need to have it shipped to your location later, and unless that location is in New York or New Jersey, B&H/Adorama won't charge you sales tax on it (although you're likely responsible for paying sales/use tax in your home state).

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012

dilbert said:
Tiosabas said:

Euro1399 yes thats $1920

In B&H
$1199 = Euro874

Make sure that you understand sales tax in the USA.

Sales tax is NEVER included in any advertised price. It is included when you get to the cash register.

In New York City, buying the 16-35/f4L IS over the counter will cost you over $1300.
That's still only approx 2/3 of what we're going to be paying this side of the pond. It was a similar situation with the Sigma 50mm Art - which I decided against buying - if it had gone on sale in the UK at an equivalent price to that in the US, I'd have bought one.

Also, some states do refund sales tax to foreign visitors... (edit) only Louisiana and Texas, and that appears to have complications...

Upvote 0