Canon Announces Two New EF Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses and White EOS Rebel SL1 Digital SLR Camera

Re: Canon Announces Two New EF Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses and White EOS Rebel SL1 Digital SLR Came

neuroanatomist said:
Etienne said:
...but f/2.8 in ultra wides is all about more light and nothing about shallow dof.
I'd have to disagree. With close subjects (albeit generally not people), I get shallow DoF with my 16-35/2.8, even at 16mm.

+1, a f2.8 wa definitely has a place in the lineup - with my 17-40L/4 you can get *some* bokeh (for me, usually light circles through leaves in the background) but I'd really like to have some more if possible. Focus stacking also solves the thin dof problem if shooting uwa macro, there are definitely creative possibilities here.

I hope all you people start selling your old, outdated 16-35L/2.8 lenses so I can buy one ... think of the horrible corner performance and sell before it's too late! :)

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Re: Canon Announces Two New EF Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses and White EOS Rebel SL1 Digital SLR Came

Marsu42 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Etienne said:
...but f/2.8 in ultra wides is all about more light and nothing about shallow dof.
I'd have to disagree. With close subjects (albeit generally not people), I get shallow DoF with my 16-35/2.8, even at 16mm.

+1, a f2.8 wa definitely has a place in the lineup - with my 17-40L/4 you can get *some* bokeh (for me, usually light circles through leaves in the background) but I'd really like to have some more if possible. Focus stacking also solves the thin dof problem if shooting uwa macro, there are definitely creative possibilities here.

I hope all you people start selling your old, outdated 16-35L/2.8 lenses so I can buy one ... think of the horrible corner performance and sell before it's too late! :)

Actually I did so yesterday and ordered the 16-35mm f/4 IS. The camerashop expects that soon more people will sell the f/2.8 version so the value price for occasion will drop. That is interesting for those who long for the f/2.8 version. I got a nice price.
I found mine too soft in the corners. And, not using it much for indoor or evening events.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Etienne said:

You can force some bokeh out of almost any lens, some people even talk about bokeh on their 1/3" camcorders, but I don't see the point, it's not that impressive. I don't find it very impressive at 2.8 on a FF ultra-wide either, so I stopped trying on the 16-35. The 24 1.4 is the exception, you can get good bokeh relatively easily, and still have a lot of flexibility of composition. Anyway, my point was that shallow DOF is not the drawing card for UWA lenses, but everyone wants more light on the sensor.

Upvote 0

Etienne said:
You can force some bokeh out of almost any lens, some people even talk about bokeh on their 1/3" camcorders, but I don't see the point, it's not that impressive.

For my requirements, I don't need impressive super-"bokehlicious" beautiful background creaminess, but simply some motive-background separation.

Depending on the camera-motive-background distance relationship, f2.8 could make the difference between a usable and unusable "mobile-phone" infinity-dof style picture. Admittedly, you really need to be careful with the setup or the dof is too thin to be usable for higher export/print size.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Etienne said:
...my point was that shallow DOF is not the drawing card for UWA lenses...

Not for you, but then, you're not 'everyone'.

Fine, if shallow DOF in ultrawide is your thing, have at it. But you'd get better results with a 24 1.4, than 2.8 zoom

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK

Etienne said:
neuroanatomist said:
Etienne said:

Fine, if shallow DOF in ultrawide is your thing, have at it. But you'd get better results with a 24 1.4, than 2.8 zoom
In some situations a prime and/or 24mm focal length won't do, even for those who want a large aperture. In those scenarios a zoom covering the range which is as fast as is practical is the best option. f2.8 is still a whole stop up on f4. A whole stop in every respect, including the effects on DoF.

Upvote 0

Etienne said:

You're missing the point here :). My photos aren't made by my lenses, but by me. For some situations, you need an uwa, you cannot move the wall behind you or elevate the motive if you're lying on the ground and shooting upwards.

Plus 16/17mm does have a very distinctive and interesting "non-p&s" look... even if it's not that much difference from a wide 24mm (whatever this is, for example the current 24-70L2's wide end is longer than 24-70L1 or Tamron).

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Etienne said:
neuroanatomist said:
Etienne said:

I agree with you.

Upvote 0

Lol....UK pricing for the 16-35 f4 LIS seems to be nearly as expensive as the f2.8 version!
While I'm sure the UK price will fall dramatically once the product is on the shelves, i really thing that canon urgently needs to refresh it's UK RRP policy.

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics said:
Lol....UK pricing for the 16-35 f4 LIS seems to be nearly as expensive as the f2.8 version!

Usually retailers try to get away with a as large "early adopters premium" as possible. If I'd be out for a new Canon/premium brand lens I'd calculate about 6 months wait time before EU prices settle to a reasonable level.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK

GMCPhotographics said:
While I'm sure the UK price will fall dramatically once the product is on the shelves, i really thing that canon urgently needs to refresh it's UK RRP policy.
It's a tax for the impatient.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011

rs said:
GMCPhotographics said:
It's a tax for the impatient.

I've been an early adopter in video game systems and that's about it. I've been able to not go nuts and buy camera gear at launch.... which I believe shows great moral character... though I'm the only one that would believe that.

Upvote 0