Canon Australia halting sales of the Canon EOS R5C

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Halting sales does not sound like a production issue.
If so Canon would halt production.
The Canon email states "we want to ensure that the product is of the highest standard from a quality perspective".

So, what form of "quality" are they referring to? Could it be related to cosmetic finish of part of the body? Or is it more likely to be related to image quality or performance?

It's really weird that this apparently only affects bodies sent to Australia. AFAIK the spec of Oz-bound cameras is the same as those bound elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see whether orders for cameras bound for other countries also get put on hold.

Just seems like a very weird excuse for supply chain issues, unless Canon Oz knows something that the rest of the world has yet to learn about.

Reactions: 1 user

Australisblue

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2016
Canon probably figured out that due to the economic downturn, many Australians could no longer afford the overinflated prices of RF gear, being twice the amount relative to the US prices when compared to median income. If they're not selling, why ship more? Maybe people there are ordering directly from the US instead, as it's definitely cheaper, even with international shipping! Not sure if the warranty covers them though. :confused:

What I've just said above may be a tongue-in-cheek statement, but consider any of the 'unavailable' Canon RF gear that is almost impossible to get in the US, check the AU stores and its all just sitting there for some reason... :oops:
I know you weren’t entirely serious and maybe things have changed more recently but I bought my Canon R5 and a bunch of RF lenses and extenders in Australia new (but on sale) for less than (or very similar to) what I could find them in the US (and I was still on a wait list at a store in the US for an RF 100-500 about 12 months after I’d received mine in Australia). A number of years ago I couldn’t imagine this being the case and even remember overhearing a store manager complaining to a Canon rep that he could buy Canon gear from the US at retail prices cheaper than Canon was selling him gear directly.

I got my RF 100-500 for $2,591 USD equivalent in Australia with free shipping (genuine Australian stock with 5 year warranty). I haven’t noticed as many sales in more recent times so I’d expect to pay more locally than the US now though..

Reactions: 1 users

analoggrotto

EOS RP
Aug 27, 2016
You mean the guy who was 100% correct about the fake overheat timer that Canon used in the R5, that the fanboys were in groupthink collective denial about??? :oops:

He might be an angry guy that bluntly states the facts, but that doesn't logically follow that he's wrong, as we have seen after all the evidence mounted up to vindicate his position, and Canon issued a firmware update which then magically made the overheat warning time vary with actual temperature!

Have no idea what his "R5C prophesy" was, and couldn't care less. Each argument stands on its own logic and the evidence behind it, not on the personality of the messenger. But hey, why let reason get in the way of a good ad hominem attack! :ROFLMAO:
I said nothing about an R5C prophecy, but rather his general "Canon is D00med" prophecy, Andrew must surely link this R5C sales pause to that same old theme we all know and love, I was just taking the first stab at what he does.

Here, he concludes the following post with "There may not be a next Spring." Prophetic much?

Canon in the midst of coronavirus and the industry wide downturn in camera sales including the continued obliteration of p/s sales, posts a sharp drop in profit and Andrew wastes no time promoting himself as their would-be savior, bellowing "COOPERATE WITH ME". And all the while honestly confused as to why Canon doesn't ask for HIS feedback; who on earth does he think he is?

I furthermore said nothing of the R5 overheating fiasco, and yet you drag that into this thread, as most Andrew Reid acolytes do whenever anyone takes a swing at his obvious problems he proudly displays. "Bluntly states facts" is a generous way to put it.... this is the guy who somehow links an alleged media-wide cover-up of Philip Bloom's domestic abuse record as evidence to some similar cover-up of that same EOS R5 temperature fiasco. He deleted this bizarre post among others about suing Canon in small claims court rather quickly. He knows what he posted.

Ad hominem "attacks"? Or his he the only one allowed to indulge in satire, however ineffective?

What possesses him to call another reviewer (who actually has a bloody audience) "lumbersexual"?

Here's another one of his bizarre hateful attacks against Chris and Jordan of DPR ...

Other men's sexuality seems to be on his mind quite a lot...

And in this piece of recent brilliance, he has the gall to mention Canon in the same discussion as the recent Ukraine invasion as if Canon's executives are somehow comparable to Putin? Relevance?
https://www.eoshd.com/news/what-happened-to-previous-video-war/

I don't know what on earth people see in this guy for opinions or industry commentary. He is pure humor for many hence the massive amount of page views I gladly give him and his boneheaded rubbish as he complains endlessly in his own distorted echo chamber stuffed with a shrinking handful of his favorite pity doling sycophantic "fanbase".

Last edited:
  • Wow

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I said nothing about an R5C prophecy, but rather his general "Canon is D00med" prophecy, Andrew must surely link this R5C sales pause to that same old theme we all know and love, I was just taking the first stab at what he does.

Here, he concludes the following post with "There may not be a next Spring." Prophetic much?

Canon in the midst of coronavirus and the industry wide downturn in camera sales including the continued obliteration of p/s sales, posts a sharp drop in profit and Andrew wastes no time promoting himself as their would-be savior, bellowing "COOPERATE WITH ME". And all the while honestly confused as to why Canon doesn't ask for HIS feedback; who on earth does he think he is?

I furthermore said nothing of the R5 overheating fiasco, and yet you drag that into this thread, as most Andrew Reid acolytes do whenever anyone takes a swing at his obvious problems he proudly displays. "Bluntly states facts" is a generous way to put it.... this is the guy who somehow links an alleged media-wide cover-up of Philip Bloom's domestic abuse record as evidence to some similar cover-up of that same EOS R5 temperature fiasco. He deleted this bizarre post among others about suing Canon in small claims court rather quickly. He knows what he posted.

Ad hominem "attacks"? Or his he the only one allowed to indulge in satire, however ineffective?

What possesses him to call another reviewer (who actually has a bloody audience) "lumbersexual"?

Here's another one of his bizarre hateful attacks against Chris and Jordan of DPR ...

Other men's sexuality seems to be on his mind quite a lot...

And in this piece of recent brilliance, he has the gall to mention Canon in the same discussion as the recent Ukraine invasion as if Canon's executives are somehow comparable to Putin? Relevance?
https://www.eoshd.com/news/what-happened-to-previous-video-war/

I don't know what on earth people see in this guy for opinions or industry commentary. He is pure humor for many hence the massive amount of page views I gladly give him and his boneheaded rubbish as he complains endlessly in his own distorted echo chamber stuffed with a shrinking handful of his favorite pity doling sycophantic "fanbase".
The "Canon is D00med" prophecy is a Sony fanboy thing, it predates the person in question, who may lack finesse and eloquence in his expression, and may have a polarising personality. You obviously don't like the guy, that's apparent. If you think his antics are questionable, then don't do the same. The bandwagon logical fallacy is one which goes along the lines of "they're doing it, so it's right for me to do it too". An ad hominem attack remains one under all circumstances and the bandwagon fallacy doesn't negate it.

Satire is different to name calling, it requires the use of wit, humor, irony, sarcasm, or ridicule to criticize something or someone.

There is an inherent danger in judging the veracity of facts based on the person delivering them. Simply put, nobody is 100% right or 100% wrong all of the time.

What you've correctly pointed out is that on some other forums, the people there or in some cases the admins, aren't very polite to each other. I've seen rude behaviour and personal attacks often between members on a site who will go unnamed, it starts with "D" and ends with the word "review", use your imagination. I hope I am speaking for everyone when I say that "we" don't want to be like them, so we treat people much better here, even Sony users lol! ;) (...and that last bit is a joke, many of us own and use Sony gear too!!!)

Last edited:

analoggrotto

EOS RP
Aug 27, 2016
EosHD is exceptional in that it's founder and admin/moderator takes task of insulting reviewers on other websites and users of his own should they contradict him. Top that off with his conspiracy theories and advanced espousement with Canon is Deumed rhetoric to such an absurd degree of mentioning it in a video about Putin and that makes him quite a deserving target. But this is fast becoming a moot argument if his last post, just yesterday carries any merit for the future of ThcHD.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
It's really weird that this apparently only affects bodies sent to Australia.
This a leak, not a press release.
Canon Inc could have sent the same notice to other regions.
Australia has a timezone advantage when to comes to leaks.

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
I really hope the R5C isn't delayed by much. I'm getting tired of this new world where everyone has to wait a year to actually purchase anything that's been announced. At the rate technology is moving, it almost seems like cameras become obsolete before they've even shipped.

Oct 12, 2011
www.carolineculler.com
I really hope the R5C isn't delayed by much. I'm getting tired of this new world where everyone has to wait a year to actually purchase anything that's been announced. At the rate technology is moving, it almost seems like cameras become obsolete before they've even shipped.

Been in the market for a GPU lately?

• Haha

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
EosHD is exceptional in that it's founder and admin/moderator takes task of insulting reviewers on other websites and users of his own should they contradict him. Top that off with his conspiracy theories and advanced espousement with Canon is Deumed rhetoric to such an absurd degree of mentioning it in a video about Putin and that makes him quite a deserving target. But this is fast becoming a moot argument if his last post, just yesterday carries any merit for the future of ThcHD.
The great thing about the internet is that people can choose what they view and what they don't. Content creators can put up the content that they want to put up, for their own satisfaction, to provide useful information, to attract a larger audience or any combination of these. We as photographers can waste our time on the shenanigans and internal bickering that goes in the online photography world, or spend it viewing educational and informative online content, which will make our time more productive and creative when we step away from the computer, grab a camera, and do what we love doing. Life is too short for paying attention to all te things that don't matter on the sidelines, don't get pulled into it! Resist, lol! :)

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
EOSHD has been around a long time.
Long before Sony Alpha became popular.
We could start a long, off-topic thread about who created the "Canon is D00med" phrase, but ultimately, it is a non-issue and isn't relevant to the discussion, so I won't bother... If EOSHD has created memorable phrases, sayings , quotes or expressions that have cemented themselves into the online photography world, and people want to correctly attribute them to the original author, then all power to them (preferably in another thread). :)

analoggrotto

EOS RP
Aug 27, 2016
The great thing about the internet is that people can choose what they view and what they don't. Content creators can put up the content that they want to put up, for their own satisfaction, to provide useful information, to attract a larger audience or any combination of these. We as photographers can waste our time on the shenanigans and internal bickering that goes in the online photography world, or spend it viewing educational and informative online content, which will make our time more productive and creative when we step away from the computer, grab a camera, and do what we love doing. Life is too short for paying attention to all te things that don't matter on the sidelines, don't get pulled into it! Resist, lol! :)
And nowhere in that am I not allowed to take a sideswipe at someone who beckons such attention on a subject common to him and this forum. My original jab resonates with some folks just as yours has. Its called F-U-N! If Andrew Weed of ThcHD is indeed making an exit, his lunacy will be missed by many. I may cry :cry: .

;)

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
And nowhere in that am I not allowed to take a sideswipe at someone who beckons such attention on a subject common to him and this forum. My original jab resonates with some folks just as yours has. Its called F-U-N! If Andrew Weed of ThcHD is indeed making an exit, his lunacy will be missed by many. I may cry :cry: .

;)
You can do as you like, if you get off on name calling people on other forums, well, that's a reflection on you! :oops:
Alternatively, you could equally make a useful contribution to this forum while you're here, and them go argue with Andrew on his forum, where he has the chance to reply, and you'll be doing the same thing to each other, while thinking you're not the same lol... :ROFLMAO:

Mar 19, 2022
Got my R5C two days ago here in Japan. It was the first batch to be delivered to customers around Tokyo. Sadly it has major AF problems :
・focus is pumping even with face and eye recognition
・it can recognize the subject but the focus guide option is not working properly.

I made different tests before calling the shop and was informed several customers had the same issues and that those cameras will be recalled. There is already 5 to 6 months delay in Japan so adding those problems will be a real nightmare for people expecting this camera.

Reactions: 1 users

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
There is already 5 to 6 months delay in Japan so adding those problems will be a real nightmare for people expecting this camera.
Thanks.
This sounds like a firmware issue.
It should delay the initial release but not impact manufacturing at all.

tiggy@mac.com

R5
CR Pro
Jan 20, 2014
Thetford, VT
www.camnostic.com
Got my R5C two days ago here in Japan. It was the first batch to be delivered to customers around Tokyo. Sadly it has major AF problems :
・focus is pumping even with face and eye recognition
・it can recognize the subject but the focus guide option is not working properly.

I made different tests before calling the shop and was informed several customers had the same issues and that those cameras will be recalled. There is already 5 to 6 months delay in Japan so adding those problems will be a real nightmare for people expecting this camera.

Explains, perhaps, the Australia communication. Sounds like Panasonic's DFD.

Mar 19, 2022
Explains, perhaps, the Australia communication. Sounds like Panasonic's DFD.
Yes, I'm pretty sure at least a part of Australia's Canon cameras come from Japan.

At the moment the AF is even worst than my first Panasonic GH4. I'm not a heavy user of autofocus but it's always useful in works like multi-cam interview.