Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

Will anyone speculate on a very realistic price points of these bodies?

I am fairly certain they will cost about 10% more than the introductory price of the models they are replacing. :)
Edit: Added the introductory price of the dSLR bodies that the mirrorless bodies directly replaces

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
This is exciting news!

>> The source claims that the new APS-C RF mount camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”.

The first two sound like the mirrorless 7D many of us have been wishing for. Not sure what "videography" means. 4K and a flippy screen? I'd expect that to be a given at this point.

It sounds like a crop sensor R5
This is exciting news!

>> The source claims that the new APS-C RF mount camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”.

The first two sound like the mirrorless 7D many of us have been wishing for. Not sure what "videography" means. 4K and a flippy screen? I'd expect that to be a given at this point.

It sounds like a crop sensor R5. Leave out the 8K. Maybe up the framerates.

Upvote 0

I am fairly certain they will cost about 10% more than the introductory price of the models they are replacing. :)
  • $7,199 R1
  • $4,099 R5s
  • $1,999 R7
Happy to join the speculation, for fun, I would go as follows:
  • $7,199 R1 - I reckon they may just want to beat the $7k level - so, $6,999
  • $4,099 R5s - maybe a bit more of a premium over R5 price, so, say, $4,250
  • $1,999 R7 - agree with you (though to judge by apparent demand on CR, they could charge $3,000 and get many takers.
Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

• $7,199 R1
  • $4,099 R5s
  • $1,999 R7

I think the R1 will come in under $7k for sure. $2k for the R7 is probably right, although I highly doubt it would stay that price for long. We would probably see a price drop to $1800 pretty quickly. Nikon likely has a higher end Z70 in the works, and there is no way Sony is going to let Fuji and Canon run free in the pro tier APS-C market. Also, full frame bodies are cheaper now than they ever have been, no longer making a high end APS-C body an obvious upgrade. As for the R5s, it's hard to say, but I think probably under $4k, unless it totally eats the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • $1,999 R7 - agree with you (though to judge by apparent demand on CR, they could charge $3,000 and get many takers.
Cheers!
Will those price points help surpass 8,461,490 ILCs shipped in 2019?

For 11 of 12 months of 2020 CIPA reports only 4,789,371 ILCs shipped thus far as COVID-19 disrupted the supply chain and disrupted events that required purchase of new camera hardware.

December numbers will be out after Jan 21.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Cheers!

The only one I've given any thought to is the R7. Much as I'd love to see it for $2000, that's about the same as the 7Dii intro price ($1799) adjusted from 2014 dollars to 2021. My bet is $2300.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2020
If the R6 had the same build quality and ergonomics (e.g. shoulder display, stills/video switch) as the R5, I would switch over from Nikon. One thing that Nikon got right is that they kept the exact same body for Z6 and Z7 just with different sensors and video specs. Sadly, there is nothing on the horizon that could match the Z6II in that regard. Also, even though it is probably the 1DXIII sensor, 20MP for €2600 is really disappointing, especially given that the Sony A7IV will most likely have a brand new 30MP sensor...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My wallet is tired already! Add to that the 100-500 and that's it. It will have to rest for a year after that.
And no more cameras for me. My R5, 5DIV, 5DsR and 90D told me that they will not tolerate anything else!

Just think how sweet that 100-500 will be with the crop body.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
"APS-C RF mount camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”."

This is amazing news for me personally. Hope I can replace my 200d to have much better video features while keep using my current glass with an adapter. Hopefully it will include sharp detailed 4k 60p 10 bit, 1080 120fps, IBIS, C log and animal eye AF. I am willing to pay for it even if it's similar priced as the R6.

This would be a perfect hybrid camera for me which is also more economical than switching to FF.

Hopefully we see it in 2021.
I do hope so - to get Sony and Nikon moving with their own versions. I don't see why Canon feels need to do all this in one go - space it out, is there a need to do a 90mp R5 in 2021.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Edit: Added the introductory price of the dSLR bodies that the mirrorless bodies directly replaces
I'll play.

$6,499 for the R1 -- Canon will keep these two at about the same price. The buyers of the 1 series bodies are Canon's most conservative customers and aren't really clamoring for a mirrorless. Canon can't charge a premium for mirrorless and expect to gain acceptance of mirrorless by 1 series owners.

Agree with about $4,099 for the R5s, but not because of the 5Ds, but rather because it needs to be more than the R5, but not that much more.

Agree with @mdcmdcmdc that the R7 will be closer to $2,300, maybe more. This is a niche body that Canon is offering to satisfy wildlife, bird and sports photographers, and they will make those buyers pay a premium for the body. This will not be a bargain like the 7DII was. If the full frame R5s is around $4,000 and this body has similar specs, it will be an incredible bargain at $2,300. If it doesn't have similar specs, the target audience won't buy it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Mostly I'm just pleased that we may finally be getting some clarity to what Canon is planning. From a personal standpoint, I'm planning a post-retirement trip of a lifetime in mid-2022 and plan on new bodies and lenses for myself and my wife. Having clarity about the R series will help me plan.

Upvote 0