Canon confirms discontinuation of EF and EF-S lenses

The discontinuation of the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM is also strange as it is used as small system when doing macro - especially underwater - as the EF100mm/2.8L and full frame body make it a significantly larger system.
Of course, you can use either of the EF100mm macro lenses on APS-c bodies if you wish.

Upvote 0
The list of currently available EF-s lenses on the Canon Japan website are:
EF-S10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM => still on available Canon Japan list but listed in the "Recently Discontinued EF Lenses" Canon Rumors site
EF-S17-55mm F2.8 IS USM => still on available Canon Japan list but listed in the "Recently Discontinued EF Lenses" Canon Rumors site
EF-S18-55mm F4-5.6 IS STM
EF-S18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S24mm F2.8 STM

I think that it is clear that the only EF-s lenses left are the wide angle ones. This would support the idea that they would be used (adapted) to cover the wide angle requirement of a R mount APS-c body

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think that it is clear that the only EF-s lenses left are the wide angle ones. This would support the idea that they would be used (adapted) to cover the wide angle requirement of a R mount APS-c body
It also supports the idea that those are the additional lenses most people (of the relatively few who go beyond the kit lenses) actually buy. The two-lens kits outsell the single-lens version, at least domestically. Since that provides a standard and a telephoto zoom, it makes sense people would expand to a wider angle zoom, a faster lens (the EF 50/1.8 is very popular), or buy a lens with a broader zoom range than the kit lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It also supports the idea that those are the additional lenses most people (of the relatively few who go beyond the kit lenses) actually buy. The two-lens kits outsell the single-lens version, at least domestically. Since that provides a standard and a telephoto zoom, it makes sense people would expand to a wider angle zoom.
Agreed.
The EF-s 10-22mm was the first EF-s lens that I purchased (second hand) for my first DLSR. I only had the EF24-105mm/4L prior to that.
If they want longer lenses then the EF range makes more sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Agreed.
The EF-s 10-22mm was the first EF-s lens that I purchased (second hand) for my first DLSR. I only had the EF24-105mm/4L prior to that.
I skipped the kit lenses with my first DSLR (a T1i/500D). Instead, I bought the EF-S 17-55/2.8 and the EF 85/1.8. My 3rd lens was the EF-S 10-22.

Upvote 0
DSLRs comprise 40% of ILC sales. Canon holds the majority of that. Remember when the consumer DSLR would be dead in 5 years? I think that was 2013.

Soon is relative.
Canon could discontinue DSLRs and bring back film SLR's on EF mount so that optical purists can continue to have their mode of expression.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
A LOT of moaning about the M line here, what's the % of owners vs well, just moaners?
It's a lower level, non professional line, why all the emotion as if it should be full like EF?
Folks just like to moan, even though I occasionally put CR in an elevated status, it's the still just the internet I have to remind myself. We should be better than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
The one strange discontinued lens is the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. It is the smallest lens in the EF ecosystem and there is no alternative. You would think that the R mount would lend itself to a very small pancake lens as adapting the EF40mm doubles the cost/weight/size.
Indeed, the RF 50/1.8 is smaller than the EF40 + adapter. Actually it's not all that much bigger than the EF40 *without* the adapter, so perhaps Canon considers it a reasonable alternative.

But the difference between 40mm and 50mm is significant, and I'd love to see a really small RF40 pancake lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Considering the EF version was released in 1996 and wasn't updated in over 25 years I suspect it wasn't a big seller. Undoubtedly loved by those who owned it if it doesn't make money it isn't going to get any kind of priority.
I doubt any of the prime lenses was a big seller in the past decade. The EF 135mm f/2 has excellent IQ, possibly Canon thought it didn't need an update. My bet is its a low priority due to being small enough for owners not to complain about using it with an adapter.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Agreed.
The 10–22mm was the only EF-S lens that I bought for my Rebel beyond the kit lens that came with it. I got excellent results with it. It was the last lens with which I actually made some money, shooting interiors for a realtor. Otherwise, I got EF lenses, which of course I can still use today. I didn’t necessarily intend to go to full-frame when I bought them. They were just the right choice for what I wanted.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
But some people can only view the world through the lens of their own opinions, and for some people that lens is radically undercorrected and causes severe distortion (of reality).
Yup, the TS-E people seem the things are straight even if they are not so... ;)
The one strange discontinued lens is the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. It is the smallest lens in the EF ecosystem and there is no alternative. You would think that the R mount would lend itself to a very small pancake lens as adapting the EF40mm doubles the cost/weight/size.
I hope so. Had M50 had an USB charger I would have replaced 40@6D with 22@M50.
A LOT of moaning about the M line here, what's the % of owners vs well, just moaners?
Most of M users don't care about opinions at a niche forum (and we shouldn't either ;).

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Indeed, the RF 50/1.8 is smaller than the EF40 + adapter. Actually it's not all that much bigger than the EF40 *without* the adapter, so perhaps Canon considers it a reasonable alternative.

But the difference between 40mm and 50mm is significant, and I'd love to see a really small RF40 pancake lens.
I never understood the use of a tiny pancake lens on a big DSLR camera. If one wants to travel light and incognito ala for street photos, turning to 22mm on a M6ii would be much more ideal.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I never understood the use of a tiny pancake lens on a big DSLR camera. If one wants to travel light and incognito ala for street photos, turning to 22mm on a M6ii would be much more ideal.
The 22mm + original M could fit in my jeans front pocket. They sadly stopped producing both the M and the jeans with those size pockets :(

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
There was a time (late 2012) when 6D+40mm was, by a large margin, the best option to have a reasonably sized FF DSLR combo with all the last techs available (in fact, the smallest and lightest at the time of 40mm launch). At that time, M system was far from being the success it became about 5-6 years later, and far from giving the results that gave even M5 and M6, for instance. Whatsoever, 6D is still better and more reliable for intensive usage and overall image quality than an EOS M50 of 2018.
Though, by now, I agree the 40mm may be much less interesting... and that's probably one of the reason why Canon has stopped producing it, some other reasons being probably :
  • the fact Canon is leaving EF mount production (something that was announced back in 2020, I think)
  • the fact that there are so many 40mms that were sold and are probably still working fine,
  • the second hand market is just enough to find one + not enough people are interested in buying one new.
Only around my city, there is always 2 or 3 40mms to sell at a reasonable price since at least 2020 (including mine :D).
Anyway, to add a very personal point of view, my own replacement for the 6D+40mm combo would never be M6II+22mm pancake (even if it's a pretty good one for its usage). It would be Nikon Z6+40mm F/2 which btw is even better than 6D+40 was... (at least to my sense, just hoping it will be as durable).

Upvote 0
I'm a full time professional photographer. Canon's apparent abandonment of the EF mount is in my view premature.
I always been an early adopter, and was one of the first to jump on the EF system from the FD mount over 3 decades ago.

Problem is that for my work, mirrorless is not ready yet. My workhorse is the 5D Mk4. I have the R5 and hate it. Cannot stand it. It is too small, it eats batteries like chocolate cake and it simply doesn't give me any advantages over the 5D Mk4 in my line of work. The R5 will be a great travel camera though.

Lenses are also lacking. I much much prefer the 100EF macro over the RF100 macro. Again it has features that are superfluous for my needs, while making it unnecessarily heavy, and expensive, while distance between front lens and subject as close focus distance is worse on the new lens.

I just bought the RF 14-35mm L. It has shocking barrel distortion. I read that DPP will correct this, but DPP will not install on MacOS for a reason, and is a common issue I found out.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
I'm a full time professional photographer. Canon's apparent abandonment of the EF mount is in my view premature.
I always been an early adopter, and was one of the first to jump on the EF system from the FD mount over 3 decades ago.

Problem is that for my work, mirrorless is not ready yet. My workhorse is the 5D Mk4. I have the R5 and hate it. Cannot stand it. It is too small, it eats batteries like chocolate cake and it simply doesn't give me any advantages over the 5D Mk4 in my line of work. The R5 will be a great travel camera though.

Lenses are also lacking. I much much prefer the 100EF macro over the RF100 macro. Again it has features that are superfluous for my needs, while making it unnecessarily heavy, and expensive, while distance between front lens and subject as close focus distance is worse on the new lens.

I just bought the RF 14-35mm L. It has shocking barrel distortion. I read that DPP will correct this, but DPP will not install on MacOS for a reason, and is a common issue I found out.
Valid points, I think there are still many photographers that are simply using still great overall techs of at least five years ago (computer techs included). With the launch of many techs that forced obsolescence, Apple, with the cycle they've been thru these last years, gives only two real years of valid support to their OS, each version being mature only 1 year after launch and being considered obsolete for support after only 3 years.

Upvote 0