Canon confirms discontinuation of EF and EF-S lenses

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Especially when a simple fact checking at this right time is enough to see that none of the EF-M lenses has been discontinued anywhere, and that most gears of the system are still available new nearly everywhere (with the exception of 18-55mm kit lens, that has been discontinued long before now, for some other reasons )...
It looks like some here wants EOS M line-up to die since the beginning, and I'm still wondering why... :D
Everything has an end, for sure, but if this system can talk, it would have kept saying "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" since last five years at least...

Some people, especially some people in the APS-C crowd, act as if they're afraid they can't have their R7 while EF-M exists. Fortunately many others among them are far more rational.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Some people, especially some people in the APS-C crowd, act as if they're afraid they can't have their R7 while EF-M exists. Fortunately many others among them are far more rational.
There is also the fact that the previous owner of this website had, in some people's opinion, a "thing" about the M System and gave credence to rumors about its demise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Illogical segues are a common CR member trademark. It's rare a thread stays OT.
Well, since we're already well OT, perhaps an even more radical drift is in order.

I just took a closer look at your profile pic (on my Mac instead of my iPhone), which I now realize is quite apt for your username. I really enjoyed the time I spent in Switzerland (about 3 months total spread over 2 years).

I'll see your Blue Zurich with a Blue Luzern:

"Kapellbrücke at Night"
Kapellbrücke at Night.jpg
EOS 1D X, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM @ 50mm, 20 s, f/11, ISO 200

...and raise you a Blue Basel panorama:

"Rhine Basel"
Rhine Basel.jpg
EOS 1D X, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM @ 59mm, 10 s, f/9, ISO 400; 13 shots in portrait orientation

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I am sure Canon prefers to sell more RF cameras than DSLR or M cameras.
Why would that be?
Money is money.
Canon is investing more into mirrorless because they project a better return on investment.
I have no doubt that Canon makes more money from a single 1DX III sale than a single R6 sale.
If Canon could sell as many 1DX III DSLRs as they do R6 mirrorless I have no doubt that they would.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Need and money making rarely go hand in hand. If the 135 f2 had been a big seller there is every reason to think there would have been iterations just as there were with the superteles, the 2.8 zooms, the 85 f1.2, the 35 f1.4, the TS-E's, etc etc.

Zooms are an entirely different animal than primes. Fifteen years ago if anyone had suggested that even a higher end zoom could compete with a mid-grade prime on IQ they would have been laughed off this forum. That's no longer the case.

Super Telephotos have improved much more in terms of weight and balance, and IS than in terms of IQ.

The TS-E lenses were updated to incorporate the new variable on-the-fly adjustment of the tilt and shift axes relative to one another. Canon calls it TS Rotation.

The EF 85mm f/1.2 was updated with a faster AF motor, at least relative to the original model that was excruciatingly slow.

The big difference with most other non-ST primes has been to move from labor intensive hand assembled designs to machine assembled designs.

That, and the whole idea that has taken root over the last decade or so that the only measure of a lens' worth is how well it images a flat test chart.

The EF 135mm f/2 L already had outstanding IQ in the areas that a fast 135mm lens is typically put to use. Two-dimensional reproduction work is usually done with shorter focal lengths, or with larger formats and scanning backs.

There's no pressing demand to reduce the size/weight of the EF 135/2 when compared to more recent offerings from Sigma et al that dwarf the Canon lens.

As telephotos go, it's a fairly simple design that wouldn't benefit as much from automation as other, more complex designs, such as a retrofocus 35mm f/1.4, do.

Compare the block diagram of the EF 135mm f/2 L

ef335-lens-construction.gif

to the block diagram of the EF 35mm f/1.4 L II

ef452-lens-construction.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I have 5DMkiv and R5. Nowadays my photography is purely for my own pleasure, but I'm often shooting in tough environments, and many of my photographs are unrepeatable. There's no second chance, so above all I need dependability. Yes, the R5 freezes occasionally and chews batteries, but otherwise is fine, and offers me advantages in certain situations. I keep the 5DMkiv because I know that it's utterly dependable, and I can absolutely understand anyone who prefers DSLRs and doesn't want the expense (and the learning curve) of switching to mirrorless.

I also agree about the 100mm macros - the EF version is more than sharp enough for the R5 sensor, and I rarely need to go closer than 1:2. The aspherical aberration control on the RF version may be of value to portrait or wedding photographers, but it's wasted on me.

But although I will continue to buy certain EF lenses that I prefer over the RF versions, I'm not at all bothered about what you call their "premature" abandonment. Sure, quite a few of the lenses have been discontinued, but there are tens of thousands of them available in pristine condition on the secondhand market. I bought my TS-E 24mm and my 180mm macro secondhand, and any others that I want will be available secondhand for many years to come. Why buy new, when there are so many mint secondhand lenses available?

I've noticed that since Canon has discontinued many EF lenses, the used market for those same lenses has gotten tighter. In some cases it's also gotten more expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
How is the 85mm f1.8 still in production lol

It's probably not actually in production. They've still got remaining stock to sell, though. It's a pretty good lens, especially for its price point, in real world usage as long as you're not looking for flat test chart reproduction bragging rights.

Canon used to stockpile their most popular lenses in huge batches. If you're interested, look for groups that compare and compile serial number and lens code (date/plant/rev) databases. Some fairly popular lenses have holes for as long as 2-3 years when apparently none were produced, then a bunch were produced in a six month span, then no more for another couple of years.

2010311041LR.JPG

Street shot outside a bar on Halloween. Sodium vapor lights on street plus just a bit of flash either camera mounted or held wide in my left hand. Hand held, EOS 5D Mark IV + EF 85mm f/1.8, 1/80, f/2.2, ISO 3200.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
True, although we don't know when the plan to update the M50 to the M50 mkII actually started, and, in terms of investment in the M system, the last real investments imho have been in 2019 (M6 mkII and M200) and 2018 (32mm and etc.)

To be clear, I do not wish the M mount to wither away, but I do think that it will, in fact, decline, regardless of our or Canon's wishes, unless Canon does something material about that, and I also think that the likelihood of Canon doing something material about that is low.

The entire EOS-M system is marketed at folks who might buy a camera and a couple of lenses once every five years or so. They then use it without constantly worrying about who has a newer/brighter/cooler/better camera coming out next week. They're not gearheads. They're people who want more than a phone for those special moments when their kids have birthday parties or they go on a nice vacation or visit the zoo. Just because a few gearheads buy an EOS M camera to use as a small, lightweight "pocket camera" when they don't want to tote their pro gear around does not mean they are the primary buyers of EOS M systems. They aren't.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am sure Canon prefers to sell more RF cameras than DSLR or M cameras.

I am at least equally sure that Canon also prefers having products to sell to people who would never, ever consider an RF mount camera and half a dozen RF lenses. That's who the EOS M line has always been aimed at. Those who are looking for a compact, lightweight, and relatively inexpensive camera and lens or two that will last them for a few years.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Only when it was in focus :D
[EDIT] (Sorry, to be more precise, I mean : "Only when it was not out of focus", in fact )...

90% or more of the folks that base lens purchases on test chart results (that is to say, about 85% of all lens purchasers these days) have no clue that MTF and other "sharpness" tests are done with manual focus.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
This was almost immediate; if I recall, the second or third comment started talking about EF-M

It was the first comment after the initial post. But it was, in fact, positive about the EOS-M system and said:

"It's no surprise to me that M lenses continue to be produced, as the cameras sell extremely well, especially in Asia."

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If 6 EF-S lenses are still in production, that might indicate the Canon still intends to release (or at least, continue manufacturing) APS-C DSLRs. Even the lowest priced new RF model will likely be at least twice the cost of a budget crop DSLR.

It's no surprise to me that M lenses continue to be produced, as the cameras sell extremely well, especially in Asia.
The DSLR lives on! Not. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm surprised that the ef 135mm f2.0 L has been discontinued. However...we all know that Canon have been holding back a revision for it for years. I'm guessing a new RF version with IS, closer MFD and slightly brighter is on the RF lens slate.
The 135L is one of the most versatile tele's available. 135mm is a sweet spot for portraits. Pop a 25mm extender on it and it can pass for a general walkabouts macro lens. Pop a 1.4x TC and you have a 190mm f2.8. Pop a 2x TC and it's a 270mm f4. It's light and small. Rugged enough and it's IQ is excellent.
I often choose this lens over my 70-200 f2.8 II LIS. The difference between 135mm and 200mm isn't that great, often a few steps forwards (where possible). If I have a 24-70 on my other camera then the 135L make a nice tele. A lot less bulky than my 70-200 f2.8 II LIS.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just before the new year, a canon executive confirmed that the 1Dx mkIII was the last carnon DSLR. That means no more EF mount bodies will be developed. There is no point in keeping the cheaper penta-mirror line. They will produce, and sell, these items as long as they make money off them but they will be gone. And they will be replaced with RF counterparts, if they are replaced at all; people are not as interested in ILC's now as they were 10 years ago.
DSLRs (the lenses) will be popular again in 20-30 yrs. There will be countless forums and facebook groups dedicated to them. People will get giddy about the "look" of a DSLR taken photo and opine for the good old days when there were "real" cameras.

That's how I duped myself into believing I just had to have 50+ year old lens tech (over 50 of those old dogs) adapted to my digital cameras. ;)

I've since grown up. :)

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
90% or more of the folks that base lens purchases on test chart results (that is to say, about 85% of all lens purchasers these days) have no clue that MTF and other "sharpness" tests are done with manual focus.
Indeed. To be more precise about what I think of the 35mm 1.4 Sigma : I bought it, partly because of those charts. Tried it and found pictures to be so flat (I was used to 135mm F/2, or simply the Canon 50mm 1.4, so it was hard for the Sigma when it comes to comparison). Then came the autofocus concerns on sessions... brought it back and had a cash-back to buy the Canon - the first version that was so worst than the Sigma, as you could read everywhere on the internet when the Sigma was launched. Ok, pixel peeping, the Canon was a tad less sharper than the Sigma on the 6D, but everything else was better, by far, especially colours and contrasts. And autofocus was usable, at least :D. Lesson learned. Some Sigma lenses are correct, but their quality/price ratios have nothing special and most of the time is far worst than Canon's. The only problem with Canon is you usually need to put more bucks on the table to enter. I tried several Sigmas since then, and the only one I kept is the EF-M version of their 56mm 1.4. It's a great lens, no doubt (with excellent colours, contrasts and correct autofocus, wow :D !).

Upvote 0