Canon direct store drops 5D body only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2011
Was noticing today that Canon has dropped the 5d body only option from their direct store. Could this be a sign of something coming, or just reflective of stock issues due to the ongoing situation in Japan?

Usually (yes I've checked in recent weeks), the bodies will say "out of stock," then recently they said "n/a," now they've disappeared altogether. Refurbished and new.

Thoughts?

Updated w/link:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252#

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
transpo1 said:
Was noticing today that Canon has dropped the 5d body only option from their direct store. Could this be a sign of something coming, or just reflective of stock issues due to the ongoing situation in Japan?

Usually (yes I've checked in recent weeks), the bodies will say "out of stock," then recently they said "n/a," now they've disappeared altogether. Refurbished and new.

Thoughts?

Updated w/link:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252#

Canon stopped selling refurbished 5d MK II's about a week after the quake when it became apparent that repair parts were going to be hard to get. I'd rather that they conserve what spares they have to repair customers cameras.

Apparently production is starting up again, but the warehouses are likely empty, and refilling the pipeline will be a long term thing. I really do not expect them to announce a new 5d model right now, but a 1Ds might happen.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, based on this information, it seems like it would be very difficult for them to launch a new product right now due to parts issues as you say. They could get away with producing a more expensive, lower volume camera like the 1D, but it would be tough to obtain the component supply needed for a hot selling, high volume item like the 5Diii.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.