refurbished 5d III, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refurb 5D MK III arrived yesterday.

It's here!

Beautifully boxed and pillowed in custom shaped foam container. All new sealed accessories and books. The camera itself is immaculate and the battery had 80% of full charge. Long serial number, 0820200606.

I won't have time to test it until tomorrow, unfortunately. When I have something further to report, I'll post here. No idea of picture count, of course.

Fred

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Re: Refurb 5D MK III arrived yesterday.

Freddie said:
It's here!

Beautifully boxed and pillowed in custom shaped foam container. All new sealed accessories and books. The camera itself is immaculate and the battery had 80% of full charge. Long serial number, 0820200606.

I won't have time to test it until tomorrow, unfortunately. When I have something further to report, I'll post here. No idea of picture count, of course.

Fred
CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to the exciting full frame world of 5D MK III

Upvote 0

jrh

Aug 19, 2012
I am a big fan of the high end refurbished gear (when the price is right) and purchased a 5Dmk3 earlier this week. The L lenses and high end bodies are built to perform in environments beyond what I will use them in. There is no reason for me to pay full price for a tool I use for a hobby and pleasure if I can get a moderately used one at a good savings. If they have been thoroughly reviewed by a Canon technician and certified to meet specs I will buy these items all day when they are 15% or more marked down off the refurb price. The only time I buy new is if Canon or Apple release a game changer product - and neither has done so recently IMHO - or the new product is discounted significantly. Another good source, I have found, for used items is LensRentals.com. Watch their sale listing as they will mark items down that don't move.

Upvote 0
So far, so good.

Although not really very far so far.
It works fine and have managed to RTFM several times and feel comfortable with the operation of it.
The images are slightly different from and maybe accept a bit more sharpening than the files from my 2008 vintage 5D MK II. Only time will tell. I do like the new feature set.
The MK II will become a single purpose tool for a while doing real estate HDR while I shoot the more fun things with the MK III. If the MK III turns out to be a decent wildlife body, I might sell the 1D MK IV. I never shoot at the full 10fps speed anyway.
Hopefully, I can do the MFA this week and see how accurate the MK III AF really is. First tests with the 500 looked very good. Unfortunately, we won't be going anywhere I can really test for a couple of weeks while the 90-day warranty ticks down.
Fred

Upvote 0
I watched the site obsessively for weeks...

scrappydog said:
I bought my 5D2 refurbished from Canon and it was a great deal. The camera has served me well. No issues.

I was hoping for the full 20% discount they offered late last year. However, after the 15% discount showed up over the weekend, I called at 6AM our time on Monday morning and ordered the camera because they can run out of stock very quickly sometimes. Their website won't accept our small town address as being in the FedEx database so I always have to call.
It looks like the stock lasted for a week this time. Not too bad.
Fred

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Re: I watched the site obsessively for weeks...

Freddie said:
scrappydog said:
I bought my 5D2 refurbished from Canon and it was a great deal. The camera has served me well. No issues.

I was hoping for the full 20% discount they offered late last year. However, after the 15% discount showed up over the weekend, I called at 6AM our time on Monday morning and ordered the camera because they can run out of stock very quickly sometimes. Their website won't accept our small town address as being in the FedEx database so I always have to call.
It looks like the stock lasted for a week this time. Not too bad.
Fred
I've tried to get one with the Canon Loyalty Program before, but they were not available yet. I see a Nikon D3 for $1800 locally, I've been thinking about buying and playing with it, but then I do not want to go back to 12mp.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.