Canon Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
AcutancePhotography said:
I honestly do not know what the OP wants any more.

Best of luck to you. Hope you can take some nice photographs. :)
Nor do I. OP stated he "needs opinions", gets them and then is very unhappy with the results.
Best of luck to him. With this attitude I'm afraid he is in for more disappointment down the road with whomever he deals with.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Dude,

Sometimes cameras die for no particularly good reason. Shit happens! I just swapped out a pair of hard drives.... they failed after about a year's usage. I could go on a rampage about how unreliable Western Digital hard drives are because these two barely made it to the end of the warranty.... but the other 478 drives in the array are chugging along just fine.

Why did those two die and not the others? They were all the same temperature, they all saw the same duty cycle.... what was different?

NOBODY can manufacture to perfect tolerances. Things either fail almost instantly, or they follow a bell curve. Your camera died on the near side of the bell curve, but not excessively so. We do not know all the mitigating factors and neither do you. Some possibilities were suggested, and mitigating actions were suggested to help alleviate this problem in the future, but even if we did know what happened, IT DOES NOT MATTER AS THE CAMERA IS DEAD!

I am not being harsh, I am being realistic. Shit happens, deal with it. Learn from it. This can happen to any piece of gear from any manufacturer.

Nothing new (including this post) is being said. This thread has gone nuts and will start attracting squirrels soon....

Attachments

• D15A0032.jpg
    D15A0032.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0
Skatol said:
AcutancePhotography said:
I honestly do not know what the OP wants any more.

Best of luck to you. Hope you can take some nice photographs. :)
Nor do I. OP stated he "needs opinions", gets them and then is very unhappy with the results.
Best of luck to him. With this attitude I'm afraid he is in for more disappointment down the road with whomever he deals with.

Based on the impressive amount of screen space used by all of the OP's lengthy posts in response to everyone in a thread he started, I guess he wants the attention. That and some kind of validation from this forum to the same points he made in the beginning which he continues to stubbornly repeat in an attempt to somehow make them sound more justified. And with each repetition, the points become more personal and therefore more deeply entrenched. From a psychological standpoint, it's rather interesting. I'm not saying this in a negative or critical way, it's just an observation of how things seem to be progressing. But I'm wearing my fire coat so flame away if you like.

And I also hope you make many beautiful images in the future using whatever photo gear helps you love the hobby. After all, the whole point is to enjoy the craft, the comradery and fellowship. Right? I wish the OP all the best in that regard. :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
RustyTheGeek said:
...Based on the impressive amount of screen space used by all of the OP's lengthy posts in response to everyone in a thread he started, I guess he wants the attention. That and some kind of validation from this forum to the same points he made in the beginning...

...From a psychological standpoint, it's rather interesting...

Yes, I have to admit I have a morbid attraction to these kinds of train-wreck threads., although at some point they tend to veer off into territory that usually has me feeling pity for the wives and families of the posters (not being sexist, but it is usually male posters who go seriously off the rails.)

Remember the guy who wrote in mad as hell at his wife, because she bought him a 5DIII, when he wanted an older model 1D?

Or there was the guy who took his new 6D out in a speedboat in the ocean in the rain. People kept telling him to put it away and he kept saying, "don't worry, it's weatherproof"...except of course, it wasn't and he was shocked...shocked...when it quit working.

As I recall, these guys didn't get the validation and sympathy they were looking for either. Magnardo's complaint is a little easier to understand, but it seems that what really irritated him is that that people disagreed with him.

My observation is: if you want sympathy, call your mom. If you write to an internet forum, expect people to disagree with you.

Upvote 0
Magnardo said:
We are past making sense now,...and that's fine.

I've read a few moronic things from these last few contributors.

The most accomplished moronic thing was comparing condensation to a nail. Great one Einstein.

Also to everything I said, there's 10 different responses from reoccurring people that complain that I am wasting their time.

Dude,...You do not have to be here. Please stop helping me with your negativity. Go and play with yourself. Do something important,... Go and see your proctologist.
That should clear things up for you.

Some people were willing to help and I thank them for it.
Others needed an outlet for their brain farts.

Some, who probably failed Debate classes in high school, came here just to argue.
Nothing in particular,..just anything they could.
People with unhappy lives, looking to spread their own misery like pixiedust.

The call me idiot and other names but fail to do the first intelligent thing required in any conversation and the backbone of any Debate.
In order to participate successfully, you have to have the ability to Listen, in this case, to have the patience to read the entire paragraph of the guy you think you are arguing with, to know what you have to counteract.
For those failed debaters: That's how you destroy someone's opinion about something.
First step is you need to understand what they are saying so you can compose a game plan.
Otherwise you embarrass yourselves like you just did here.

Moving on.

Warranty is not a contract.
A contract cannot be binding when only one side signs it.
I, as a consumer, have absolutely no say in it.
Warranty could be a contract but it is not necessarily.
Mainly, it is a promise of honor to honor a product in case it is defective.

I, myself, have sold something to someone before, with no warranty.
It broke. I took it back.
I was able to identify the product was faulty, indifferent of their usage.
That is the honorable thing to do.
Now I could have said,..I told you no warranty,....but I did not, because it did not feel right.
There is an internal clock with an arrow inside everyone and it points to what is correct.
It is up to everyone in particular if they decide to act on it or just ignore it.
Did I have to give that guy's money back?
No.
But, for me, that would have not been fair.
In the future, if I will have anything to sell, they will probably trust me as an honest seller and come back.

Anyways,...

My camera broke.
There could be many reasons why.
One of them was Condensation.
Was it Condensation?
Maybe.
Was it for sure?
Nobody knows.
If Condensation was in my house, should affect other cameras that lived in identical environment.
Probably.
Was it possible that it might have been a faulty circuit board?
Yes it was.
Can anybody know for sure?
No.Nobody knows.
If the repair people wanted to investigate the cause could they?
Probably.
Did they investigate the cause?
Who knows?! But not likely.
Are investigating and fixing something two different activities?
Yes they are.
Was the camera past it's warranty promise?
Yes it was.
Did Canon have any incentive to investigate the real cause of the camera breaking down?
No, they did not.
(and By the Way, They never said that my camera went bad because Condensation. Their exact words were: " One of the reasons for why a circuit board goes bad is if it's submerged underwater or it could be because of condensation.")
If the circuit board was bad to begin with and they sold me a bad camera to begin with, should have they assumed responsibility?
It would have been nice.
Would that have been smart?
Probably.
Is that how Apple won over many consumers, by going beyond the minimality of their service?
Yes it is.
Now, if I took my camera in an unhealthy environment and did not take care of my camera properly, would it be right for me expect Canon to fix the camera for free?
No. It would be not.
Can anybody asses properly that my house has high levels of humidity which damaged the camera?
No, they cannot.
Is it likely?
No it is not.

That's it.
And that's all.

Too many people concentrate on the specifics and minute exact details and try to outsmart each-other, instead of trying to find the truth,.... behaving the same way like the lawyer that put OJ back on the street because the glove did not fit.
Nobody cares about Justice, Honor, Truth Decency and other things.
These are terms from out of space.
It is all a game to outsmart one another through tricky contracts, excuses and overusing cliche blind corners.
Credit cards writing things in fine print that you can barely read. etc.

The most funny thing for me, when I meet fake people, is their Hypocrisy.
They all wave around like flags, big notions they do not understand, and talk really loud like they are the keepers of the universal knowledge but mostly, they repeat things they have been told or heard somewhere, without truly processing information.

I see a lot of the same things here,...
I understand that a few of you do not understand and will not understand because you cannot understand and If you were ever close to understanding, your brain would explode.

Simple thing is: I can do whatever I want with my money.
Canon can do whatever they want with their cameras.

If I am happy with their equipment, I will buy more.
If i'm unhappy, I will stop buying.

We are both right. Nobody is wrong.
Everything else is a coincidence.

Again,... The good people that were trying to help.
This was not intended for you.

It was written for the flaccid minds jealous of anything that sits straight.

I have read most of this thread and just wanted to let you know that I support the sentiments you have expressed in this and other posts. I think you have been perfectly reasonable in your opinions and conduct.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a lot of unwarranted negativity in this and other photographic forums, especially if someone is voicing some criticism about one company or another. It's still a mystery to me why this is, but you're probably right that some of it can be attributed to planted shills. Others may simply be easily influenced, have shares or certain leanings that compel them towards a combative approach. As I said, I don't get it, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your observations.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
RustyTheGeek said:
...From a psychological standpoint, it's rather interesting...
Yes, I have to admit I have a morbid attraction to these kinds of train-wreck threads.

My main interest in these is that I'm curious if I was right about a specific poster, and alas, in this case I was: Somebody starting off a bit strange tends to spiral down further and further in progress of the discussion.

unfocused said:
My observation is: if you want sympathy, call your mom. If you write to an internet forum, expect people to disagree with you.

"If you want a friend, buy a dog" ... having said this, I find CR the most civil forum around, save some dr trash threads nobody can really take seriously. So any complaints of the op are really over the top.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Dude,

Sometimes cameras die for no particularly good reason. S___ happens! I just swapped out a pair of hard drives.... they failed after about a year's usage. I could go on a rampage about how unreliable Western Digital hard drives are because these two barely made it to the end of the warranty.... but the other 478 drives in the array are chugging along just fine.

Why did those two die and not the others? They were all the same temperature, they all saw the same duty cycle.... what was different?

NOBODY can manufacture to perfect tolerances. Things either fail almost instantly, or they follow a bell curve. Your camera died on the near side of the bell curve, but not excessively so. We do not know all the mitigating factors and neither do you. Some possibilities were suggested, and mitigating actions were suggested to help alleviate this problem in the future, but even if we did know what happened, IT DOES NOT MATTER AS THE CAMERA IS DEAD!

I am not being harsh, I am being realistic. S___ happens, deal with it. Learn from it. This can happen to any piece of gear from any manufacturer.

Nothing new (including this post) is being said. This thread has gone nuts and will start attracting squirrels soon....

Attachments

• 154A1406_DxOM (3).jpg
    154A1406_DxOM (3).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
neuroanatomist said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
Don Haines said:
Dude,

I think it was probably condensation that killed your hard drives :p

I bet it was a nail.

Yeah, but there was probably condensation on the nail

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Magnardo said:
Like I said, past making sense.

To whom? I think you are confusing "makes sense" with "says what I want it to say" (something like: you're right, no one should recommend canon since all their cameras are susceptible to mysterious deaths that they'll suggest may have occurred due mythical phenomena).

The fact of the matter is: nobody knows whether it failed because of something they did wrong, something you did wrong, or just bad luck. They met you half-way on a repair when they had no obligation to do so, and to me that's good customer service.

Magnardo said:
Only on this tread cameras break very often because of condensation.

It's a well understood and recognized failure, hence the specific instructions on how to avoid it. Where was stated that it's a common failure?

Magnardo said:
I do not think I have strong condensation in my house.

If you have air in your house, you have vapor in your house. However, there is no reason to assume that any vapor which may have condensed in your camera came from or did so in your house unless the camera never left your house.

Magnardo said:
Personal Conclusion,...Condensation does not happen very often, under normal circumstances, except on this tread.

Preposterous. Go outside and look up. Condensation happens all the time. That doesn't mean it leads to damaged electronics all the time. You may have been unlucky.

Magnardo said:
350$ means more then it did before.
Let me repeat, before I had kids, I had no kids.

So don't fix it now.

Magnardo said:
If the circuit is bad, even if it's out of warranty, it's the manufacturer's fault.

Also preposterous.

If it came to you bad, of course it's either their or a middle man's fault. If that is the case, by all means show them.

Magnardo said:
For me, that's not enough, if what they sold was bad to begin with.

The operative term is *IF*

Upvote 0
As is well known, the squirrels restore sanity in anachronistic discussions.

Does the weather sealing it is enough to protect your camera from squirrel pee? :eek:

article-2033427-0DB47AD200000578-774_634x390.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.