Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 with SoftFocus

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't hear much about the Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 with SoftFocus, but it sure sounds interesting.

We all know that most of the newest lenses are extremely sharp. So much so that they can be unflattering to women. Very unflattering.

Then I happened across a couple of reviews of this lens. I looked at the flickr photo pool and can see where soft focus can be a useful tool (stretch marks, lines, wrinkles). There was a woman in her late 40's I shot some photos of a few months back that was pretty good looking, however the lines and wrinkles on her face became dark canyons. I couldn't show her the photos at all. Some fill flash would have been a good idea I think.

I have a little film camera (Voigtlander Vito) that requires one to estimate the distance to the subject to get proper focus. Sometimes the effect of getting it wrong can be pleasing in a portrait.

The 135 f/2.8 SF is a very old lens and I have only seen it in stock a few times and that was a couple of years ago. I know the effect can be recreated in photoshop.

Still I am left wondering what some of you that have used this lens think about it and also if you think a frosted (?) filter does just as good a job.

Thanks guys!

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I know the effect can be recreated in photoshop.

I suspect that's the main reason for the lack of popularity for the lens.

You are right. A couple of articles I read said so also. Have you used it Neuro?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
CanonFanBoy said:

You are right. A couple of articles I read said so also. Have you used it Neuro?

It's not that sharp even without the softness turned on and it has an old arc form motor for AF which isn't very accurate. The build is lacking as well. Now with that said it can be a very cool creative tool in the right hands just as any lens can be.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
slclick said:
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
CanonFanBoy said:

It's not that sharp even without the softness turned on and it has an old arc form motor for AF which isn't very accurate. The build is lacking as well. Now with that said it can be a very cool creative tool in the right hands just as any lens can be.

Hey, thanks for the responses guys. :)

Upvote 0
I wondered about buying this lens for the same reasons as you ... But ultimatley decided to use Photoshop.

Once you catch the image in camera you can't change it ... reduce it or selectively apply it. However you can do all this and more in Photoshop.

If you really want to shoot diffusion in camera, get hold of a cheap diffusion filter - screw fit. Ideally get three different strengths. Don't worry about price, get a cheap one as you are degrading the image. That said, you can pay a lot for some Softar diffusion filters made by Zeiss etc.

The diffusion look as very popular in the 1980's in the time of Dynasty and Dallas on tv. Many a Hollywood leading lady loved the effect as it made them look younger.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Nitroman said:
I wondered about buying this lens for the same reasons as you ... But ultimatley decided to use Photoshop.

Once you catch the image in camera you can't change it ... reduce it or selectively apply it. However you can do all this and more in Photoshop.

If you really want to shoot diffusion in camera, get hold of a cheap diffusion filter - screw fit. Ideally get three different strengths. Don't worry about price, get a cheap one as you are degrading the image. That said, you can pay a lot for some Softar diffusion filters made by Zeiss etc.

The diffusion look as very popular in the 1980's in the time of Dynasty and Dallas on tv. Many a Hollywood leading lady loved the effect as it made them look younger.

Personally, I'll take 'in camera' over post for most everything. That's why I like Holga, pinhole cameras, Lensbabies, etc.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
Pookie said:
Back in the days this was done by stretching a nylon pantyhose or some other similar material over a lens. I've even seen thin spreads of vaseline used on lenses for this effect... wouldn't recommend but I've seen it done.

Not that I would do this, but you could designate a protection filter for Vaseline duty if you really wanted to try it. Just be careful putting it on and taking it off.

Upvote 0