Canon EF 135mm f/2L Replacement [CR1]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
So 112mm would be the bare minimum. At f2 that puts the current lens front element at a minimum of about 68mm. So there ya go. Almost double the size. Cost $3500? Not gonna happen. f2 is just dandy.

privatebydesign said:
m8547 said:
Yeah, a 135mm f/1.2 would probably be about the size of the 200mm f/2.

From what I've read, the current design is optically excellent, so I don't see much room for improvement. The old 35mm did leave plenty of room for improvement. I look forward to an updated design coming out, anyway, so I can get an old 135mm cheaper!

The front element of a 135 f1.2 would need to be 112mm, 12% bigger than the 200 f2. It isn't going to happen, and if it did, we couldn't afford it!

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014
jebrady03 said:
I know people say this all the time, and then eat their words when a replacement is released but...

I can't possibly see what Canon could do to a 135mm lens that would make me consider replacing the EF 135mm f/2L. It's BY FAR my favorite lens and there are no flaws that it exhibits in my own personal shooting which make me pine for a replacement. The AF is fast and INSANELY accurate and consistent. It's sharp as a knife, even at f/2, it's not too heavy/light, large/small. Even the flare and ghosting is attractive, when desired!

I suppose I'd actually LOVE for Canon to release a lens which would make me want to replace my 135L, because I can't even fathom how amazing THAT lens would be!

Agreed! It is already a wonderful lens!
In future, I would love to see Sigma create a 135mm f/2.0 Art lens at a fraction of the Canon price with the sharp optical quality that manifests in their new series.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
et31 said:
jebrady03 said:
I know people say this all the time, and then eat their words when a replacement is released but...

I can't possibly see what Canon could do to a 135mm lens that would make me consider replacing the EF 135mm f/2L. It's BY FAR my favorite lens and there are no flaws that it exhibits in my own personal shooting which make me pine for a replacement. The AF is fast and INSANELY accurate and consistent. It's sharp as a knife, even at f/2, it's not too heavy/light, large/small. Even the flare and ghosting is attractive, when desired!

I suppose I'd actually LOVE for Canon to release a lens which would make me want to replace my 135L, because I can't even fathom how amazing THAT lens would be!

In future, I would love to see Sigma create a 135mm f/2.0 Art lens at a fraction of the Canon price with the sharp optical quality that manifests in their new series.
Can you be certain that if they make such a lens it will focus consistently?

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I was always under the impression that the 135 f2L was the best lens in my kit as well. But since the version II lenses have been making their way into my kit it's fallen on the way side because it can't keep up optically or AF. I like to use my 135 for sports a lot so I need a good performer and this news that a new version might be coming is right up my alley. Sharpness and contrast are what stands out about the 70-200 f2.8L IS II versus the current 135 f2L. I have no doubt this new 135L will go right back to the top of the kit.

Still waiting on news on replacements for the ooooollllllddddd non-L primes though, like 20mm, 85mm and 100mm. Pretty sure I'd buy the 20 and the 85 non-L primes on the DAY they come out if they ever do.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014
tron said:
et31 said:
jebrady03 said:

Can you be certain that if they make such a lens it will focus consistently?

The Sigma 24mm Art f/1.4 and the 50mm Art f/1.4 already speak for themselves.
The technology and the algorithms are already there.
With continued software and engineering optimization, I'm sure that the company can deliver.
Their new 85mm f/1.4 Art lens is next on their production line.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Every lens has its place. 70-200 2.8 Mk II is the sports lens with it's AF and IS. 135L is the portrait lens. So if you're shooting more sports, then I can see why you favor the 70-200. I do more portrait work and the 70-200 can't match the look of the prime. One doesn't replace the other, just different lenses for different purposes.

Pixel said:
I was always under the impression that the 135 f2L was the best lens in my kit as well. But since the version II lenses have been making their way into my kit it's fallen on the way side because it can't keep up optically or AF. I like to use my 135 for sports a lot so I need a good performer and this news that a new version might be coming is right up my alley. Sharpness and contrast are what stands out about the 70-200 f2.8L IS II versus the current 135 f2L. I have no doubt this new 135L will go right back to the top of the kit.

Still waiting on news on replacements for the ooooollllllddddd non-L primes though, like 20mm, 85mm and 100mm. Pretty sure I'd buy the 20 and the 85 non-L primes on the DAY they come out if they ever do.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Never used the Canon 135mm L lens but I have an old 135mm 1.8 from "Weltblick" which is quite a mess on CA and sharpness but has wonderful Bokeh. So I tested my 85mm 1.2L II with an 1.7x Kenko Teleconverter, which gives me a "free" 145mm f2. So there never was and never will be need for a native 135mm again ;D

Sadly Canon makes no new bold statements to what's possible like in the beginning of the EOS-System. We hope for a 50mm 1.4 but expect a 50mm 1.8 IS, what a shame. There should be a new 50mm L 1.0 or f0.95, a 200 1.8L again or 85L 1.2 IS. All calculations which already existed in the Lens Lineup (except of the last). New technologies and optical breakthroughs could improve upon the old ones...

Come on Canon, you can do better than that. The 11-24L was a great sign for your skills.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
m8547 said:
Yeah, a 135mm f/1.2 would probably be about the size of the 200mm f/2.

From what I've read, the current design is optically excellent, so I don't see much room for improvement. The old 35mm did leave plenty of room for improvement. I look forward to an updated design coming out, anyway, so I can get an old 135mm cheaper!

The front element of a 135 f1.2 would need to be 112mm, 12% bigger than the 200 f2. It isn't going to happen, and if it did, we couldn't afford it!

If it did, I'd take one. ;D

Upvote 0
AE-1Burnham said:
An aside: My mind wants to use the metaphor of cars: the current 135L is the 6 litre naturally aspirated engine with direct power connected to a hard suspension and no traction control, whereas the 70-200 2.8L II IS is like a fancy turbo charged, cushy S-class (and equally oversized and heavy,-and costly!). 8)

Great analogy. I'll take the naturally aspirated 6 (in fact I recently did). The 135L is one of my favorite lenses; it would be my favorite if I shot lots more 135. Hell, it is still on the "OK with 5DS-r list". I don't need image stabilization on this lens if it means being out $1000 to get it. As the OP implied, give me the non-turbo 911.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
YuengLinger said:
What? Of all lenses...The only possible reasons I see for changing this are performance at much higher resolutions than on the 5DIII, or it uses an older manufacturing process that now is too costly, or...IS.

This might be one of those lenses that could be technically better, but at the cost of its magic...

I too love this lens. And it focuses so FAST!

Picture of baby taken at F/2, minor adjustments in LR.

I agree!

Attachments

• Celia 7 WEB.jpg
    Celia 7 WEB.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 440
Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Etienne said:
vscd said:
I tested my 85mm 1.2L II with an 1.7x Kenko Teleconverter, which gives me a "free" 145mm f2. So there never was and never will be need for a native 135mm again ;D

And as a bonus, you have time to get a coffee while you wait for your lens to grab focus !

No, not for the intented purpose. The 85 1.2L is for portraits. Portraitsmaybe change something like 20cm forward/backward. The 85L catches really fast any movements in this range, you just shouldn't let it hunt from horizon to minimal distance. So this is nothing for sportactivities.

But on sport I would rather use the 70-200L IS II anyway...

Upvote 0
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8557270335/master-of-one-mitakon-speedmaster-135mm-f-1-4-pre-production-sample-gallery

DSC05280.acr.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TeT said:
Does anyone have an idea of what they might be able to do that would improve the 135? What are the 135's week spots?

I think that 1.8 would not be an improvement, just different (and bigger).

Sharper, modern coatings, BR element, weather sealing. Compare the 35/1.4L to the new MkII to get a sense of what's possible.

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
TeT said:
Does anyone have an idea of what they might be able to do that would improve the 135? What are the 135's week spots?

I think that 1.8 would not be an improvement, just different (and bigger).

Sharper, modern coatings, BR element, weather sealing. Compare the 35/1.4L to the new MkII to get a sense of what's possible.

IF they could make a 35L to 35L II type improvement, this could easily become Canon's best IQ lens...

Upvote 0