Canon EF 135mm f/2L Replacement [CR1]

John said:
i love this lens and use it all the time. it is great for sports and portraits. if u can get a good copy of the lens for a great price, then go for it. personally, i am hoping to sell mine later this year and buy the updated version (assuming that it comes out).
Do people notice much sample variation? For purposes of AF it actually feels like my sharpest and most reliable lens outside of user error.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I have the 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 135L. They are not the same. If you enjoy portrait work, there is no substitute for that 135L. The 70-200 does a fine job, but it doesnt achieve the 3 dimensionality and gorgeous bokeh the 135 does.

Random Orbits said:
cellomaster27 said:
hmm. I have the opportunity to buy a very new 135L for $600... should I buy or not??

I would. The 135L will slot nicely below the 70-200 f/4 IS. If you had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, then the decision would be harder.

And even if you don't use it much, you won't lose much (or more likely gain) reselling it.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
I have the 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 135L. They are not the same. If you enjoy portrait work, there is no substitute for that 135L. The 70-200 does a fine job, but it doesnt achieve the 3 dimensionality and gorgeous bokeh the 135 does.

Random Orbits said:
I would. The 135L will slot nicely below the 70-200 f/4 IS. If you had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, then the decision would be harder.

And even if you don't use it much, you won't lose much (or more likely gain) reselling it.

Which is why I said the decision would be harder because it is not the same. The closer lenses are in their specs, the more muddy the use cases between them. What you highlight is a specific use case where the 135L wins handily, but if one more limited financial constraints and can't have both the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and the 135L and shoots all different types of photography, then the case for the 135L isn't as strong.

Upvote 0