Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

Re: Canon EF135mm f/2L USM

briansquibb said:
JR said:
This is a really difficult question indeed CHL! I have the mk II version of the 70-200 2.8 zoom and the IQ is preatty much on par with the 135L, minus the extra stop that the 135 provide you. I am getting the 135 anyway because I am looking for something lighter to carry.

I dont have experience with the version I of the 70-200mm zoom but I am told (and you cant read in these forums) the current version was a big improvement in the IQ. If you already find you use the 70-200mm zoom a lot for your purposes, I would think you might be better getting the mk II first instead of getting the 135L.

Keep in mind if you buy it before Dec 31st at B&H you get $400 off! ($1974). This is a good buy! (the link is on the main CR page).

Hope this helps.

Fabulous on the 5DII, the 135L is that bit smoother than the 70-200 II. IQ of the 135 is better but not with the huge gap there used to be. The 135 makes a good street lens as it doesn't leap out at you and is surpisingly small. Minimum focus distance is small too!

Thank you both. I am going for the 135L because of less weight and it is more discreet compared to the 70-200 2.8. I have also come to the conclusion that the 35L and the 135L will make a very good combo for me on my 40D and 5DMKII. I live in Europe so I can not take advantage of any good deals with B&H - unless I travel to New York which is not a bad idea in itself :)

/Claes

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

CHL said:
briansquibb said:
JR said:
This is a really difficult question indeed CHL! I have the mk II version of the 70-200 2.8 zoom and the IQ is preatty much on par with the 135L, minus the extra stop that the 135 provide you. I am getting the 135 anyway because I am looking for something lighter to carry.

I dont have experience with the version I of the 70-200mm zoom but I am told (and you cant read in these forums) the current version was a big improvement in the IQ. If you already find you use the 70-200mm zoom a lot for your purposes, I would think you might be better getting the mk II first instead of getting the 135L.

Keep in mind if you buy it before Dec 31st at B&H you get $400 off! ($1974). This is a good buy! (the link is on the main CR page).

Hope this helps.

Fabulous on the 5DII, the 135L is that bit smoother than the 70-200 II. IQ of the 135 is better but not with the huge gap there used to be. The 135 makes a good street lens as it doesn't leap out at you and is surpisingly small. Minimum focus distance is small too!

Thank you both. I am going for the 135L because of less weight and it is more discreet compared to the 70-200 2.8. I have also come to the conclusion that the 35L and the 135L will make a very good combo for me on my 40D and 5DMKII. I live in Europe so I can not take advantage of any good deals with B&H - unless I travel to New York which is not a bad idea in itself :)

/Claes

Congratulation CHL, you will not regret the 135L. Now that I have it, I wonder how I could live without it for so long! Cheers,

Jacques

Upvote 0

I'm Lovin' It
http://raimundinha-jr.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• IMG_9497.JPG
    IMG_9497.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 2,486
Upvote 0

My latest project is trying to photograph flying foxes. As they're moving and its dark, I'm pushing my camera's autofocus system to the limit and a lot of the time it just won't lock on (I've only got a window of a few minutes where they're active and my AF still works before getting too dark). I'm finding it a bit of challenge to get a decent shot. But I'm slowly refining my technique, and I'll get there one day. I know the type of composition I want, but I just can't get them to go where I want them! Lens wise, I've settled on the 135mm. Its the only fast telephoto that I've got. Being sharp wide open makes it a natural choice. It's an awesome lens.

Attachments

• 20120122-untitled-002-X2.jpg
    20120122-untitled-002-X2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,994
Upvote 0