Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

B

briansquibb

Re: Canon EF135mm f/2L USM

Crapking said:
These were all handheld, no monopod, M, AI servo, zone select, f2, autoISO, and shutter speed adjusted via viewfinder exposure meter.

"autoISO, and shutter speed adjusted via viewfinder exposure meter"

Any adjustments you make would be undone via auto iso- do you mean exposure compensation?

I like the pictures - bit like street candids but on a sports field. A different, but valid, take on sports photography

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com

What I meant is I control the shutter speed, choosing 750, or 1000 based on what my viewfinder meter 'tells' me and the autoISO would then adjust itself, usually to 1600, or 3200, or occasionally down to 800.
I've tried Tv mode but my keeper rate is higher when I do it myself.

As far as composition / style - basketball is not my usual sport, and I had a tough time on the ACTION/SPORTy moments, so I chose to go after the more personal / candid shots.

My volleyball parents always like to see the emotion of the moment, rather than the stop-action hand on ball so to speak. What I REALLY like about the 135 is the bokeh, really isolates the player IN the moment. Next week, I am shooting a VB tourney for 2 days, and I am renting a 1D Mark IV as a trial...trying to decide 1D MIV vs 1DX.....

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Crapking said:
What I meant is I control the shutter speed, choosing 750, or 1000 based on what my viewfinder meter 'tells' me and the autoISO would then adjust itself, usually to 1600, or 3200, or occasionally down to 800.

I use Manual mode with auto ISO in a variable light situation (so that is nearly always ;D )

I use the 135 mostly on F/2 or F/2.8 as it lifts the subject out of the background

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

briansquibb said:
Crapking said:

I use Manual mode with auto ISO in a variable light situation (so that is nearly always ;D )

I use the 135 mostly on F/2 or F/2.8 as it lifts the subject out of the background

Hey Brian, you must be shooting those with your 7D or 1D4 correct? Because my 5D mkII does not have autoISO in manual mode (well ok from 100-400 :-\) so I would kill for autoISO in manual!

Just on a trip now and I only brought the 135L to force me to get use to it and it rocks! Will post pictures apon my return.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

JR said:
briansquibb said:

Hey Brian, you must be shooting those with your 7D or 1D4 correct? Because my 5D mkII does not have autoISO in manual mode (well ok from 100-400 :-\) so I would kill for autoISO in manual!

Just on a trip now and I only brought the 135L to force me to get use to it and it rocks! Will post pictures apon my return.

Started using it with the 7D and continued it with the 1D4. Just bought a 1Ds3 - hope that works the same (will pick it up on Monday)

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

I am starting to love this lens as a walk around lens. The only thing I find is color vibrance is not as nice as with the other newer L lenses I have. In both pictures below I played with the vibrance setting in Lightroom...

Attachments

• lake-1.jpg
    lake-1.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 2,488
  • lake-2.jpg
    lake-2.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 2,417
Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere

JR said:
I am starting to love this lens as a walk around lens. The only thing I find is color vibrance is not as nice as with the other newer L lenses I have. In both pictures below I played with the vibrance setting in Lightroom...

I'd agree that the 135L is more neutral than a lot of other Canon lenses; for example the 50mm f/1.4 always seemed kinda hot in the yellow/green department to me. I'm a big fan of the "look" of Zeiss images (the microcontrast in particular just knocks my socks off when you get a good shot with it). The 135L seems more "Leica-like" to me, but that's no bad thing :).

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

briansquibb said:
I like the neutral starting point as it gives more scope for filters and/or pp changes

Which filter do you like to use with your 135L Brian (beside a polarizing filter I mean)?

funkboy said:
I'd agree that the 135L is more neutral than a lot of other Canon lenses; for example the 50mm f/1.4 always seemed kinda hot in the yellow/green department to me. I'm a big fan of the "look" of Zeiss images (the microcontrast in particular just knocks my socks off when you get a good shot with it). The 135L seems more "Leica-like" to me, but that's no bad thing :).

U right, more neutral is more like it. I wonder if it is the coating on the lens of newer "L" series that makes them more snappy? My 85 1.2L II or any other L I own for that matter have a different feel then the 135L. I wonder if Canon will ever update this wonderful 135L lens...

Upvote 0

jasonsim

Hobbyist
Dec 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC

Great bokeh. I like it most for it's smallish size and low weight. And that it is black and not noticed as much.

6648650701_df286aabbf_b.jpg

6648655313_108e6d942b_b.jpg

6648669975_c07f515ff8_b.jpg

--Jason

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

JR said:
briansquibb said:
I like the neutral starting point as it gives more scope for filters and/or pp changes

Which filter do you like to use with your 135L Brian (beside a polarizing filter I mean)?

I use a range of Cokin filters, for example:

Grad sunset
Grad blue
ND/Grad ND

With the Cokin/Lee approach you can stack the filters nicely, for example ND grad from the bottom, gap in middle, Grad Sunset from top + Polarisor gives a lovely sunset over the sea.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011

briansquibb said:
With the Cokin/Lee approach you can stack the filters nicely, for example ND grad from the bottom, gap in middle, Grad Sunset from top + Polarisor gives a lovely sunset over the sea.

Of course now we're all going to be asking for example photos...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

briansquibb said:
I use a range of Cokin filters, for example:

Grad sunset
Grad blue
ND/Grad ND

Thanks Brian! I will look into those. I have been meaning to expand my knowledge of filters as right now it is limited to polarized and clear ones! I will give them a try.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

dr croubie said:
briansquibb said:

Of course now we're all going to be asking for example photos...

ND grad at top 3/4 + polarisor

Attachments

• IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,814
Upvote 0