Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
CarlTN said:
Nice image but in my opinion it's not all that successful because the girl's face is hidden rather needlessly. I know you probably think that's the point of the image, but it kind of falls flat because of that. No doubt most of you will disagree with me, but there it is.

;D

OK, here's one done especially for you !

( I really thought you'd have pulled me up on the tag showing on the hat ;) )

I've put one processed in a similar style on the 24-105L thread. I was going to sneak it in here but thought better of it.

Attachments

• Let's Dance.JPG
    Let's Dance.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 2,885
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
CarlTN said:
Sporgon said:
I had a very quick play with a recent jpeg to see if I could get a similar effect. I'm not sure she hasn't played with the white balance between subject and background in some of them. That's what I have done with this picture, as well as the manipulations mentioned above. I've attached the original from camera for comparison. In this case the lens has already done a pretty thorough job of isolating the subject.

Great pictures with a real 'signature' feel. Those who worked with film know that there was as much post processing done then as there ever is with digital !

Thanks for the link Eldar.

Nice image but in my opinion it's not all that successful because the girl's face is hidden rather needlessly. I know you probably think that's the point of the image, but it kind of falls flat because of that. No doubt most of you will disagree with me, but there it is.

Of course subjective. I find it far more interesting to see only the eyes and the rest hidden by the dogs head instead of seeing both their faces. But that is of course subjective. ;)

Upvote 0
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM :)
_MG_1385.jpg

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
CarlTN said:

;D

OK, here's one done especially for you !

( I really thought you'd have pulled me up on the tag showing on the hat ;) )

I've put one processed in a similar style on the 24-105L thread. I was going to sneak it in here but thought better of it.

Very nice! I'm envious of the dog haha...

Upvote 0
F

flowers

wsheldon said:
I just used this lens for a set of portraits for a high school drama program with a 6D and 3-light setup. Beautiful color and bokeh with wonderful DOF control. Just love this lens.

wsheldon-20140125-4799-XL.jpg

wsheldon-20140125-4926-XL.jpg

wsheldon-20140125-4930-XL.jpg

Thank you for posting this perfect sample of using the lens for what it's meant for. Very helpful :) Would it be possible to see larger resolution samples?

Upvote 0
flowers said:
wsheldon said:
I just used this lens for a set of portraits for a high school drama program with a 6D and 3-light setup. Beautiful color and bokeh with wonderful DOF control. Just love this lens.

Thank you for posting this perfect sample of using the lens for what it's meant for. Very helpful :) Would it be possible to see larger resolution samples?

Those links are from a gallery of prints for sale (to parents) so they're size-limited online, but here's one example you can view at 100% if you click on it. This was shot at f2.8 at ISO 200 and cropped from a 1/2-body portrait. I had to actually try to reduce sharpness in post-processing with LR 5, by setting clarity = -24, sharpness = 0 and luminance noise reduction to 40 (despite no visible noise in the image) to avoid accentuating minor skin imperfections. Focus was obviously on the eyes. For later portraits I switch to f3.5-f4.0 and moved the kids further from the background to avoid OOF ears and losing detail in jewelry.

i-vFrxCvk.jpg

Upvote 0
F

flowers

wsheldon said:
flowers said:
wsheldon said:

Those links are from a gallery of prints for sale (to parents) so they're size-limited online, but here's one example you can view at 100%

Of course, I understand :) Thank you very much, that shows exactly what I wanted to see. If it's not too much to ask, could you produce flare with the lens and post a sample of that? Just when you have the time, or if you have a sample ready.

Upvote 0
flowers said:
Of course, I understand :) Thank you very much, that shows exactly what I wanted to see. If it's not too much to ask, could you produce flare with the lens and post a sample of that? Just when you have the time, or if you have a sample ready.

Sorry - I've just had this lens a couple of months and my one outdoor session didn't include any open sky. I'm sure some online reviews cover that aspect.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

wsheldon said:
flowers said:

Sorry - I've just had this lens a couple of months and my one outdoor session didn't include any open sky. I'm sure some online reviews cover that aspect.
Sure, I will look it up online. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
flowers said:
wsheldon said:
flowers said:

I've had my 135 for almost 5 years, and I don't recall ever seeing flare. I'm sure it has some, but I've not noticed it. I'll try to get a shot of some over the next week or so, if you like.

The 70-300L is supposed to be very flare resistant, but I'm pretty sure I made it produce flare.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

CarlTN said:
flowers said:
wsheldon said:
flowers said:

I've had my 135 for almost 5 years, and I don't recall ever seeing flare. I'm sure it has some, but I've not noticed it. I'll try to get a shot of some over the next week or so, if you like.

The 70-300L is supposed to be very flare resistant, but I'm pretty sure I made it produce flare.
I have two things in mind when it comes to flare: how flare resistant is it, and if it flares, how pretty is the flare? :)
I looked up some examples on flickr, you don't have to bother. Thank you for offering :) it flares but not in a bad way, I find the flare pretty pleasing.

Upvote 0