Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Re: Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM

K-amps said:
arioch82 said:
love this lens cannot wait to try it on a fullframe

500D, ISO 100, 1/160, f/5.6 @ 17mm

IMG_9307.jpg di ocangelo, su Flickr

Very Nice... and with FF, you will be able to get the whole peak on the right side, and perhaps land it in the rule of thirds grid too ;)

thanks, I didn't frame it "on the right line" on purpose because it was cutting too much on the left side (like that slope on the forest) and the panorama wasn't enough "spaced".

that place (scotland, top of the old man of storr) is beautiful anyway... have to go back there one day!

Upvote 0

arioch82 said:
K-amps said:
arioch82 said:
love this lens cannot wait to try it on a fullframe

500D, ISO 100, 1/160, f/5.6 @ 17mm

IMG_9307.jpg di ocangelo, su Flickr

Very Nice... and with FF, you will be able to get the whole peak on the right side, and perhaps land it in the rule of thirds grid too ;)

thanks, I didn't frame it "on the right line" on purpose because it was cutting too much on the left side (like that slope on the forest) and the panorama wasn't enough "spaced".

that place (scotland, top of the old man of storr) is beautiful anyway... have to go back there one day!

I was not faulting your framing in the least. :) You did the best with waht you had. All I was saying is, you will have even more options with FF to frame it.

Upvote 0

pdirestajr said:
I've been on the fence about this lens for a while.... Is it actually good on a full frame camera? Or does it just reveal all of it's weaknesses? It looks beautiful on a crop.
It's a bit of both. I don't use mine much now, since getting the 5D MkII and more recently the 24 MkII, but the reason is as much that I find it a bit wide for my style on full frame and issues with using square/rectangular filters as image quality. At f/16 it is visibly softer across the field, but the corners really show up the lens when using full frame. That said, when I do use it, it is usually for an extreme effect and there is little else that can achieve that. I can't remember if it was earlier in this thread or elsewhere, I posted one such extreme effect, emphasising the distortion, which also showed its other weaknesses of corner softness, CA and flare.

Upvote 0

There is some corner softness wide open, but at f/8 improves a lot and is on par with the 16-35mk.ii at that aperture.

Wide open the 16-35mk.ii has better corner resolution. For the money it is a great lens at about 50% the price of the 16-35.

Even at F4, it is pretty usable as far as resolution goes... here's a shot I took of it at F4 ... gives you an idea of using it wide open on FF, you can see the corner softness, but the image otherwise tells the story you want to tell.

Attachments

• J77C1530.jpg
    J77C1530.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 3,354
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011

Prince's Pier in Port Melbourne. Station Pier (where the Spirit of Tasmania docks) is visible in the far left, and the lights of Williamstown are visible to the far right.

EOS 5DII, 17-40mm f/4L USM@19mm f/16, 5s and cold enough that I could not feel the difference in texture between the flocking on the inside of the lens hood and the edge of the polarising filter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/specular-images/7524804780/#in/photostream

Attachments

• 20120708-IMG_3890.jpg
    20120708-IMG_3890.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 5,641
Upvote 0