Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
applecider said:
... Fence was unavoidable.

I've shot through fences like that. If you get your lens close enough to the fence (I actually place the end of the lens hood up against the chain link) and center your front element in one of the openings, it will blur out the fence to the point that it's almost invisible.

Upvote 0
Pookie, I hadn't seen those shots until just now - nice work! I can't believe this thread hasn't seen any love since December 15th - it's such an amazing lens. Here's a fresh shot of Jacksonville, Florida from the Main Street Bridge.

24mm, f/11, 1.3s, ISO800, +1EV
Jacksonville_Downtown_20575_ID-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
"Notre Dame at Night"

EOS 1D X, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM @ 35mm, 25 s, f/11, ISO 100

Three Country Bridge - Basel, Switzerland on the left shore; Huningue, France at the end of the bridge; picture taken from Weil an Rhein, Germany.
"Dreiländerbrücke"

EOS 1D X, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM @ 28mm, 30 s, f/11, ISO 200

Nice photos. How did you deal with keystoning on Notre Dame? Did you aim level and crop or adjust in PP?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Orangutan said:
Nice photos. How did you deal with keystoning on Notre Dame? Did you aim level and crop or adjust in PP?

Thanks! I adjusted in post using DxO's perspective tools. I had some optically corrected shots with the TS-E 17mm which worked well for the façade of the cathedral, but the framing was too wide when I tried it for the above shot (I didn't bring the TS-E 24 on the trip).

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:
"Notre Dame at Night"

Three Country Bridge - Basel, Switzerland on the left shore; Huningue, France at the end of the bridge; picture taken from Weil am Rhein, Germany.
"Dreiländerbrücke"

Nicely done. I like the way you've left just a little perspective convergence. Pitty about the scaffolding but they seem to be having a blitz on repairing these old monuments in England and France at the moment.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
Nicely done. I like the way you've left just a little perspective convergence. Pitty about the scaffolding but they seem to be having a blitz on repairing these old monuments in England and France at the moment.

Thank you! I find a slight undercorrection gives the appearance of a little more height. I often do the same with a shift lens.

Yes, lots of monuments with scaffolding during our trip – particularly churches.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
"Notre Dame at Night"

Three Country Bridge - Basel, Switzerland on the left shore; Huningue, France at the end of the bridge; picture taken from Weil am Rhein, Germany.
"Dreiländerbrücke"

Awesome shots Neuro

Upvote 0
Here couple of full resolutions images done with Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM mounted on Sony A7R.
One shot is just general view of some nice place.
Second shot is a test for lens purple fringing, chromatic aberration against direct sun with extreme scene DR. Such test is very challenging for many lenses.
Both shots illustrates how good Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, especially with high quality, high-resolution digital back (Sony A7R) attached to this lens for still shots.
EXIF data is preserved in each image.

All shots done hand-held and as seen on picture this does not affect system resolution - this comments to some threads discussing that tripod usage requirement to achieve best possible resolution.

Attachments

• EF 24-70 F2.8 L USM II n A7R -pic-1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 381
  • EF 24-70 F2.8 L USM II n A7R -pic-2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
"Notre Dame at Night"

"Dreiländerbrücke"

Awesome shots Neuro

+1
Very nice.

Upvote 0
leftnose said:
Back from the trip which prompted the purchase of this lens. A few from the Old City and Temple Mount in Jerusalem:

Some great looking images. I missed the ocular (?) light in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre on my visits to Jerusalem. My last trip my Tamron 24-70 VC was my best friend. So many cool things to shoot in Israel!

Upvote 0