Canon EF 400 F4 DO IS II USM first impressions

I thought some fellow photographers might be in similar situation like I was and might appreciate a feedback on this great lens if they are hesitant to buy or rent one.

I am interested in nature photography, mostly in mammals to be more specific, although I shoot occasionally birds, as well. I shoot stationary (hides) and scout 50-50 ratio.
I had been using Canon EF 400 F5.6 L lens on various rigs for 4 years. I consider that lens as the best value for general wildlife photography, especially if you are on a tight budget. While I still love that lens for being sharp wide open, lightweight, quick AF, I wanted to step up to a lens that has more flexibility, is faster, can be used with extenders to get some extra reach. Weight was also key, as I often do hikings or walk through swampy terrain to get closer to my subjects. I was hesitating between several lenses, including Canon EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS II USM, Canon EF 300 F2.8L IS II USM (+1.4X III), Canon EF 400 F2.8 IS USM (mark I). For the criteria mentioned above, I finally decided to choose the 400 DO II, which was offered to me second hand in brand new condition and at a very reasonable price.

As I had been a 400 5.6L user, that's the lens I can compare to. I must say this DO II lens is a game changer! It is tack sharp wide, noticebly sharper than the 400 5.6L. 4 stops of IS is something that I am not used to, it is a very welcomed feature nonetheless. AF is definitely quicker. Needless to say, ergonomics and built are flawless.
One of the reasons, I picked the DO II is the fact that it takes extenders so well. Adding 2x III, makes it a hand-holdable, sharp 800mm F8 lens. I would say this compo equals the 400 5.6L in sharpness and AF speed. Being 2,1 kg in weight, it is definitely portable. The bokeh of the bare lens is smooth, I have not noticed anything wrong with OOF highlights, which was one of my concerns before I bought this DO lens. I haven't tried it in an "after-shower" scenario where those OOF highlights are dominant, though.
The Red deer rut is on the horizon here, I can't wait to go for it with that lens.

Overall, I am very happy with that lens, it is an improvement in every aspect for me. I highly recommend to buy or rent one!

(Shots were taken with the DO II+2X III.)

Attachments

• _1DX9080.jpg
    _1DX9080.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 163
  • _1DX9076.jpg
    _1DX9076.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 146
  • _1DX9071.jpg
    _1DX9071.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 141
  • _1DX9032.jpg
    _1DX9032.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 148
RGF said:
very nice. The deer looks like it has moose antlers. What species? Where was it taken (my guess is somewhere in Europe).
Its a fallow deer, Dama dama. This species is native in most European countries. They also have shovel-shaped antlers, although they are much smaller than moose.
Thanks for your inputs!

Attachments

• _1DX9015.jpg
    _1DX9015.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
AdamBotond said:
I thought some fellow photographers might be in similar situation like I was and might appreciate a feedback on this great lens if they are hesitant to buy or rent one.

I am interested in nature photography, mostly in mammals to be more specific, although I shoot occasionally birds, as well. I shoot stationary (hides) and scout 50-50 ratio.
I had been using Canon EF 400 F5.6 L lens on various rigs for 4 years. I consider that lens as the best value for general wildlife photography, especially if you are on a tight budget. While I still love that lens for being sharp wide open, lightweight, quick AF, I wanted to step up to a lens that has more flexibility, is faster, can be used with extenders to get some extra reach. Weight was also key, as I often do hikings or walk through swampy terrain to get closer to my subjects. I was hesitating between several lenses, including Canon EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS II USM, Canon EF 300 F2.8L IS II USM (+1.4X III), Canon EF 400 F2.8 IS USM (mark I). For the criteria mentioned above, I finally decided to choose the 400 DO II, which was offered to me second hand in brand new condition and at a very reasonable price.

As I had been a 400 5.6L user, that's the lens I can compare to. I must say this DO II lens is a game changer! It is tack sharp wide, noticebly sharper than the 400 5.6L. 4 stops of IS is something that I am not used to, it is a very welcomed feature nonetheless. AF is definitely quicker. Needless to say, ergonomics and built are flawless.
One of the reasons, I picked the DO II is the fact that it takes extenders so well. Adding 2x III, makes it a hand-holdable, sharp 800mm F8 lens. I would say this compo equals the 400 5.6L in sharpness and AF speed. Being 2,1 kg in weight, it is definitely portable. The bokeh of the bare lens is smooth, I have not noticed anything wrong with OOF highlights, which was one of my concerns before I bought this DO lens. I haven't tried it in an "after-shower" scenario where those OOF highlights are dominant, though.
The Red deer rut is on the horizon here, I can't wait to go for it with that lens.

Overall, I am very happy with that lens, it is an improvement in every aspect for me. I highly recommend to buy or rent one!

(Shots were taken with the DO II+2X III.)

You will find many shots taken with this lens in the Bird Portraits and Birds in Flight threads as it is a favourite of several of us in CR.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Adam, thanks for your impressions and thank you for those really nice pictures.

Out of curiosity (if you know):
AdamBotond said:
... the 400 DO II, which was offered to me second hand in brand new condition and at a very reasonable price. ...
As this lens is quite new and well reviewed, why was the owner selling it? Didn't it feed his needs?

Upvote 0