Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM

Although this is "only" an F4.0, the main advantage is weight!
I use this lens with a 1DX and the weight balance is perfect. I can shoot handhold without any problems for an afternoon. The IS is unbelievable, I can shoot stationary objects, e.g bird sitting on a branch at 1/60 handheld and still get sharp results.
A lot of folks do not like the DO lenses, the "onion" effect in backlit photos is apparently a problem.
I have shot over 4000 pics in the last month, and indeed it happens. However, it is VERY minor.
All in all, I have doubted a long time to buy this lens as I wanted the 400 F2.8 II.
The weight of the 400 F2.8 II is just too much for me, I can only use it as a tripod lens and not as a walk around lens.
The 400 DO II is just slightly bigger then 70-200 F2.8 II and about same weight, which means that I can take it on a hiking trip in he hills without too much problems.
For me, this lens is ideal, I have the reach, the reduced weight, perfect IS, and very fast autofocus.
Uhh, I did not mention IQ as that is a given as far as I am concerned.
Extenders 1.4, no problems, focus is slightly slower, IQ is still excellent, The 2.0 is a different story. Focus is dirt slow and IQ takes a hit.
I used this lens on 7D mark 1, and the body can not keep up. Focus is slow and inaccurate. AFMA according to Reical V2 was +2, so no problem there.

I made the right choice, I just love this lens, it is just the $$$$

Hope this gives a bit of background info.

Ben

Upvote 0
wopbv4 said:
Although this is "only" an F4.0, the main advantage is weight!
I use this lens with a 1DX and the weight balance is perfect. I can shoot handhold without any problems for an afternoon. The IS is unbelievable, I can shoot stationary objects, e.g bird sitting on a branch at 1/60 handheld and still get sharp results.
A lot of folks do not like the DO lenses, the "onion" effect in backlit photos is apparently a problem.
I have shot over 4000 pics in the last month, and indeed it happens. However, it is VERY minor.
All in all, I have doubted a long time to buy this lens as I wanted the 400 F2.8 II.
The weight of the 400 F2.8 II is just too much for me, I can only use it as a tripod lens and not as a walk around lens.
The 400 DO II is just slightly bigger then 70-200 F2.8 II and about same weight, which means that I can take it on a hiking trip in he hills without too much problems.
For me, this lens is ideal, I have the reach, the reduced weight, perfect IS, and very fast autofocus.
Uhh, I did not mention IQ as that is a given as far as I am concerned.
Extenders 1.4, no problems, focus is slightly slower, IQ is still excellent, The 2.0 is a different story. Focus is dirt slow and IQ takes a hit.
I used this lens on 7D mark 1, and the body can not keep up. Focus is slow and inaccurate. AFMA according to Reical V2 was +2, so no problem there.

I made the right choice, I just love this lens, it is just the $$$$

Hope this gives a bit of background info.

Ben

Thanks for the info, I guess the onion effect can be a turn off, but as you said $$$$ is the only real issue :D

Upvote 0
Worst case of the "onion" effect I had in 4000 pics or so.
First pic is as shot, second is at 100%
This was at an hour after sunrise, straight into the direction of the sun. I needed to be careful to avoid the sun in the frame.
As said this is the worst case I have had yet, can we live with it?
I can as this happens only in less then 0.1 % of the shots.
Just something to think about when you shoot just as setting your Aperture ...

Attachments

• A08Q5305-as-Smart-Object-1_100.jpg
    A08Q5305-as-Smart-Object-1_100.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 417
  • A08Q5301-copy-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    A08Q5301-copy-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
just got mine in the mail today. i have been on the waiting list for months. did a quick check on the focus and a little walk. i really like the way the lens handles and feels on the 7dii. my first impression is that iq and focus are excellent. here are a couple full size shots. standard dxo conversion, no extra adjustments. they are f/4. the nuthatch looks a bit in and out of focus due to the shallow dof at that close distance. normally i would stop down for a shot like that'

Attachments

• 154A9772_DxO.jpg
    154A9772_DxO.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 471
  • 154A9812_DxO.jpg
    154A9812_DxO.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 527
Upvote 0
3120000052. i thought the first numbers were a model designation but now i am curious.

the interweb says the first 2 numbers are a date code. 28= apr 2015, 31= jul 2015. the third number is the version "2"

afaik the rest is the sequential serial number. i just have a hard time believing that there are that few of these lenses being produced.

Upvote 0
candc said:
3120000052. i thought the first numbers were a model designation but now i am curious.

the interweb says the first 2 numbers are a date code. 28= apr 2015, 31= jul 2015. the third number is the version "2"

afaik the rest is the sequential serial number. i just have a hard time believing that there are that few of these lenses being produced.
I've got #49. Been trying to write a review of just the lens for BIF shooting, but I'm finding it difficult to separate lens performance from body performance. Most of my shots so far have been on 7D II with 1.4 x III. For BIF, the AF hit rate on this combination has been OK, but not as good as I had hoped for. At some point I will have some 5D III shots for comparison. Still shots are almost always great. I need some more experience with the lens to finish the review.

Upvote 0