Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Re: Canon EF 50MM 1.2L

amarlez said:
I have to be missing something because a 1/3-stop advantage and marginally better build and autofocus can't be worth $1200.

Isn't it technically a half stop advantage? I may be wrong. It is an expensive lens, but I think to have continued sharpness and less problems as the elements get larger, there is some cost trade-off.

It's not just a 1.4 that can do 1.2, but a 1.4 that can do 1.2 better than the design of the 1.4 could.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011

documentaryman said:
What is the consensus on the plastic/cheapie EF 50mm f/1.8 II used primarily as an interview, locked down lens for a budget documentary?

As in a film? (opposed to a still picture i mean).
you can't get any more budget than the 50 f/1.8, it's softer and slower than the 1.4, but you can't beat it on price. even filming at 1080p you probably wouldn't notice the softness much.
i'd prefer IS for filming, but if you've got a stable enough mount/tripod, or only doing static scenes, it'd be fine for me...

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011

chito said:
I've always wondered about the 50 f1.0 L... I've read that it was discontinued due to cost, but doesn't the 85L have more glass than the 50 f1.0? Is it something about the design?

from what i know about lens design, the only thing prohibiting fast telephoto lenses is size/weight/cost.
But the wider the angle, the harder it is to deisgn something fast with decent IQ, especially at the borders, and especially once you get wider than the diagonal (43mm for FF). Look at the photozone.de reviews of the 35 f/1.4 and 24 f/1.4, their centre sharpness is off the scale at f/2.8-4ish. but their border sharpness is off the other end of the scale at f/1.4.
the 85 1.2 ii is sharper than the 50 1.2, for sure, but it's not the stellar performer itself either. the 50 1.4 looks better on paper, but it's got its own problems as Neuro mentioned (in short, every lens purchase is a decision between what good you need and what bad you can put up with).

I can't find a review of the 50 1.0 on any modern site, too old and i suppose no reviewer can afford it (or noone can afford to lend it to them). the only one is from the site where wikipedia cites here, and that was on film. If it didn't stand up to film, it definitely won't stand up to 20+ MP.

From the canon Camera Museum, it weighs 985g, only 40g less than the 85 1.2 (i or ii). so near enough to the same amount of glass. It's what they do to the glass and what it's made of that makes the cost, and i'd suppose that with all the manufacturing costs put together, plus a decent margin, it was out of reach for anyone but the most dedicated, even then you'd make more money selling to pro portrait-takers who'd rather use an 85 or 100/135mm.

i'm almost wondering, with digital and APS-C these days, if we might see a resurgence in demand for it enough for canon to release a 50mm f/1.0 II version? It makes a bit more sense taking a portrait with a 50mm lens on a crop body than a FF (but then why use a 7D to take a portrait?). and the original f/1.0 was designed in 1989, with computer design i'm sure they could beat the performance if they started fresh now...

Upvote 0

chito said:
I've always wondered about the 50 f1.0 L... I've read that it was discontinued due to cost, but doesn't the 85L have more glass than the 50 f1.0? Is it something about the design?

Wikipedia states that the f/1.0 lens wasn't particularly sharp at any aperture. That mixed with cost and higher usable ISO range, the 1.2 became the spiritual successor.

As far as the 1.8 for video, I used it before, and its great, unless you need follow focus. The focus "ring" is tiny. It'd do fine with a tripod though.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Macadameane said:
Isn't it technically a half stop advantage?

On the half-stop scale, f/1.2 is 1/2-stop wider than f/1.4, but the 1/3 stop scale also includes f/1.2 at 1/3-stop wider than f/1.4. See the wikipedia page on f/stops.

Mathematically, f/1.2 is closest to a 1/2-stop, since 21/2×0.5 = 1.1892), whereas 22/3×0.5 = 1.2599, which personally I'd round to f/1.3.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2010

A few more 50mm shots a 1.2

5972254116_883a29915a_z.jpg

5928025322_10fcf1ae37_z.jpg

Upvote 0
N

nounours18200

On full frame the 50mm can be a bit too short and therefore a bit in your face for the subject to relax.

The 85L MkII though.....

I fully agree and this is the reason for which I look towards the 85/1.2L II : but the only thing that stops me for buying it, is the rumour of a version III of this lens ! .... I cannot manage to find a good advice on a update version of this (already wonderful) 85.1.2

Does some of you have info about it ?

Upvote 0
N

nounours18200

I don't think that you will see a ver 3 of the 85L 1.2 as the ver II was released in 2006. I'm not sure what you would like in a ver 3 of this lens that it already doesn't have/do. I'd buy it now and enjoy this spectacular lens. I'm doing just that this week.

My fear was just to buy it and see a new version on the market a few days after... But I congratulate you for buying it this weekend: I will probably buy it also in the near future....

Have good photos !

Upvote 0