Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

filo64 said:
Great photo, Harv. Just the right moment and framing. Your shot, however, also shows my only gripe with the lens: the bokeh of things just behind the focus plane. That and the weight are the only reasons I sometimes miss my 200mm f/2.8 L, which I sold when I seldom used it any more due to the versatility and stunning sharpness of the 70-200 II.

Thanks a lot. This is my 'go to' lens for about 20,000 motocross images a season. It works like a dream.

As far as this shot goes, if you check the EXIF you'll see the aperture is at f/5 and things developed too fast to take time to stop open it up to f/2.8 which would have produced a better background bokeh.

Upvote 0
Harv said:
...the aperture is at f/5 and things developed too fast to take time to stop open it up to f/2.8 which would have produced a better background bokeh.

I rather like it the way it is...the bird's entire wingspan is reasonably in focus...2.8 would probably make it too shallow and you'd lose the wing detail...jmo of course.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Harv said:
This thread is now almost 2 years old, but I'll play... :D
very nice image
but... something about it looks a little uneven to me overall ???

what did you do in post?
I find the owl to be in an uneven, not quite circular or symmetrical halo which i find stands out a little on the small sized 4:3 image displayed here

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Harv said:
This thread is now almost 2 years old, but I'll play... :D

2013-03-16_0037_P2.jpg

:)
WOW! Harv, that image is worthy of being in a competition. Great work, excellent capture.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
I am over the moon. I got this lens yesterday. I have been coveting it for a long long time. Last week I mustered the courage to ask my wife, Erica if I could get it and she said "Sure you can!". :) actually :D

Last night I checked it out and figured that I need to AFMA it...

Moving on - last week we discovered a number of caterpillars on one of our plants on the terrace. We (the humans) decided to "save" them! So we got the pot in the house. Well, all went well for a day but later we discovered that caterpillars were missing and there were splatters on the wall. Erica discovered a gecko slinking around the wall near the pot. So the pot promptly went back to the terrace and we (the humans - but then you knew that already...) decided to "save" four caterpillars and left the rest on the shrub in the pot. So the chosen few went into a shoe box and Erica made holes on the top so they could breathe. Leaves were added in the box for good measure. Some hours later, I see a caterpillar on the floor! So we open the box. Guess what! None inside! So we search. Well, the box was put on an old hat stand and we discover that three of them have gone to different places on the stand. Here is one of them sitting on the edge of a mirror on the hat stand.

Well, this one (photo attached below) seemed anchored. The other two seemed to be a bit more mobile so we transferred them over to the shrub in the pot.

As a dutiful member of the click-a-snap-when-you-can society, I submit to you this picture, taken with live view focus.
So 5D3, 70-200L IS II, @200, 20s (under white cfl light), f11, ISO100 and EC +1. The distance to subject was close to MFD...

Attachments

• GreenCaterpillarSmall-1.jpg
    GreenCaterpillarSmall-1.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 2,428
Upvote 0