Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM & Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II Discontinued

Jan 22, 2012
I would buy the EF version any day over the RF version and that's both f/4 and f/2.8 lenses. If I buy the R5 I'll be keeping all my EF glass as there's basically no RF glass I care for at this stage. Maybe if and when they release new lightweight 300 f/2.8 and 500 f/4 I migth swap my EF versions, or release that 100 f/2 macro I'l sell the old 100L.
You joking right? Yeah joking...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Seriously?! The 2018-released and generally wonderful Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM II?!

Wow. If true that is a remarkable statement of intent that EF is fully done and dusted. I mean the writing has very clearly been on the wall but discontinuing such a new and well received lens is shifting things up a few gears. The powers that be must feel very good about how the R series has gone and confident about its future.

As someone who has sold all my EF mount cameras and gone mostly RF, I’m not best placed to complain, but I’m still a little shocked.

If EF is done, then also EOS-M is done too.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
You joking right? Yeah joking...

Why would he be joking? Maybe he doesn't like a collapsing design for a 70-200? Whenever I decide to buy an R body I won't necessarily swap any of my existing EF lenses either. I'm not knocking Canon's RF designs. But the recent L designs are just as good optically, and the added features (like a collapsing 70-200 or extra reach on the 100-500) aren't worth the upgrade cost to everyone.

Ironically the thing I would like most, IS on my 24-70, is the thing I won't have to have when I attach it to an R body thanks to IBIS. Sure lens IS + IBIS might yield more shake resistance, but IBIS alone would probably quench any desire to spend money upgrading (for me).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
If EF is done, then also EOS-M is done too.

The bummer here is that EOS-M is so perfect as an ultra compact travel/street/hiking kit. There's nothing out there that can match a M6 mark II + 11-22 IS in terms of performance/size/weight. I wish they would keep EOS-M as kind of a specialty compact option. Just add a couple more really great lenses like the 22mm and the 11-22.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'm still looking to get one when the prices ease and my business improves a touch. Meanwhile I have have the money set aside for an R5 and they are in stock everywhere and I just can't do it. Yes the R5 is a great camera but I still don't get on with EVF's despite trying hard to...

Meanwhile if anybody wants a low shutter count 1DX II with WFT-E8, RRS L-plate, and a ton of CFast cards drop me a line :)
Happy I'm not the only one still preferring the OVFs !

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have never understood this line of reasoning.
Canon just wants to sell cameras and lenses.
They have no reason to cry every time someone buys a DSLR of EF lens.
The only rationale for not making a 5D Mark V is if Canon thinks it is a poor investment for them.
Canon has no interest to maintain two product lines with very similar customer bases though. So they should like to eliminate the one with lesser profitability as soon as possible. If they had offered a 5D V some percentage of potential R5 buyers would have purchased that instead, extending the life of the EF lineup and also reducing the customer base for the more profitable RF lenses.

They can't fully kill off EF while RF doesn't capture a sufficiently large share of the market (due to offering to few bodies and lenses that don't cover all relevant price points). But by providing heavy incentives to go for RF, the point in time where they can comes closer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BPhoto06

Canon EOS R
Feb 12, 2021
Canon should at least keep the L Lenses going for a while as they just released a professional 1DX in 2020 which people would want to buy the L Lenses for, especially the 70-200 f4l as the 1DX is an excellent sports camera and a 70-200 f4 would be really useful for that type of photography and people would prefer the f4 version as it is smaller, lighter and more compact and portable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Cayenne!
I wouldn't worry too much, since, thanks to companies like Novoflex, EF lenses can be adapted to other non-Canon cameras, Sony, Leica SL, Panasonic etc...
True....BUT, for how long will that work out?
Per my earlier post...it depends on how long Canon and other mirrorless camera bodies will incorporate electronics/software/signals that will through an adaptor work the aperture on the EF lenses.

My theory was that since the EF lenses don't have any way to manually set the aperture, at some point, newer camera bodies may stop bothering to control EF lenses as they become older and older.

It seems the lenses that are getting new leases on life via adaptors on mirrorless bodies, are the fully manual ones, or at least the ones that can be set manually.

It would be nice if modern lenses could be set to allow manual aperture mechanically, and then switch over for auto control by the body. That would ensure greater longevity on lenses....otherwise, these great lenses of the past will be rendered unusable.

EF lenses will be in the category some day potentially.

Then again, I guess if the future adapters are "smart", then they might be able to translate whatever protocol is in that body of the day into the old signals of the older lens.

But, that's gonna start driving adapters to be a bit more $$$ and specialized over time.

OH well...always fun to see what happens in the future.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Canon should at least keep the L Lenses going for a while as they just released a professional 1DX in 2020 which people would want to buy the L Lenses for, especially the 70-200 f4l as the 1DX is an excellent sports camera and a 70-200 f4 would be really useful for that type of photography and people would prefer the f4 version as it is smaller, lighter and more compact and portable.
I just personally don't get it.
I've "lugged" around the 70-200 f/2.8 II for years and years, often shooting concert festivals...moving between stages backend forth on a pretty large set of grounds.

It just isn't a back breaker that people keep trying to paint it. I am NOT in great shape myself either, I'm a bit overweight, but while I was tired at the end of a full 10 hour day....carrying the 5D3, the 70-200 f/2.8, the 24-70 L, and the 11-14L (talk about an anchor of a lens) in a pack....

It certainly wasn't that big a deal. And these tests I'm talking about are usually 3-4 days at a time in a row...so, doing that every day.

Of course, lighter would be nicer. But, it isn't THAT big a deal.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have never understood this line of reasoning.
Canon just wants to sell cameras and lenses.
They have no reason to cry every time someone buys a DSLR of EF lens.
The only rationale for not making a 5D Mark V is if Canon thinks it is a poor investment for them.
I agree. Nikon has already said they intend to offer new DLSRs, although they've been coy about the timetable. Canon will decide the future of their DSLR systems based on the market, not on any secret agenda to force people to move to mirrorless.

No doubt Canon has a secret tipping point in mind that will determine if they can migrate enough DSLR users to the R system to justify dropping DSLRs. In these difficult times, I doubt that Canon wants to lose even 20 percent of their current DSLR base, so if they determine that a sizable percentage of customers are not going to migrate, they will continue making and updating DSLRs. In my opinion it is ridiculous to make these kinds of broad predictions now anyway, as the global pandemic and resulting shortages have completely thrown off all market predictions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon has no interest to maintain two product lines with very similar customer bases though. So they should like to eliminate the one with lesser profitability as soon as possible. If they had offered a 5D V some percentage of potential R5 buyers would have purchased that instead, extending the life of the EF lineup and also reducing the customer base for the more profitable RF lenses.

They can't fully kill off EF while RF doesn't capture a sufficiently large share of the market (due to offering to few bodies and lenses that don't cover all relevant price points). But by providing heavy incentives to go for RF, the point in time where they can comes closer.
I have to disagree.

Canon has an interest in maintaining two product lines if they cannot successfully migrate existing customers to the new line. The camera market is shrinking and they can ill afford to just write off even 20% of their embedded customer base, so if they find they are going to lose loyal customers with high levels of disposable income they will adjust accordingly. I doubt if Canon knows the answer to that at this time and are probable hedging their bets.

Why do you assume the R and RF line is more profitable? You are equating profits with cost, but they aren't the same. The R and RF lines are more expensive, but the profit margins on the EF line are likely much higher since all the development and embedded costs have long since been paid for.

I'd like to see what heavy incentives Canon is offering to convert users to the R line. So far, I'm not seeing any incentives to customers. The R and RF lines are more expensive and there have been no rebates or other incentives offered that would reduce the cost to customers. Simply discontinuing EF lenses and DSLR bodies is not an incentive.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I have to disagree.

Canon has an interest in maintaining two product lines if they cannot successfully migrate existing customers to the new line. The camera market is shrinking and they can ill afford to just write off even 20% of their embedded customer base, so if they find they are going to lose loyal customers with high levels of disposable income they will adjust accordingly. I doubt if Canon knows the answer to that at this time and are probable hedging their bets.

Why do you assume the R and RF line is more profitable? You are equating profits with cost, but they aren't the same. The R and RF lines are more expensive, but the profit margins on the EF line are likely much higher since all the development and embedded costs have long since been paid for.

I'd like to see what heavy incentives Canon is offering to convert users to the R line. So far, I'm not seeing any incentives to customers. The R and RF lines are more expensive and there have been no rebates or other incentives offered that would reduce the cost to customers. Simply discontinuing EF lenses and DSLR bodies is not an incentive.
I'm not the most technically savvy person when it comes to cameras.

But as far as I know, the RF mount lenses will NOT work on the Canon DSLR EF mount cameras.

And if Canon is dropping EF lenses left and right, that kinda indicates strongly to me, that they do not intend to make any new EF mount cameras, ie...no more DSLR mirror slappers.

So, unless the thought is that Canon will somehow drop the money to redesign a new mirror slapper camera, that will take RF lenses...or, that they intend to design and release an entirely new line of lenses that will fit on a DSLR body that yet to be released.....I think you can pretty clearly guess Canon at this time, does not plan to continue in the DSLR camera market.

Am I missing something here?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I just personally don't get it.
I've "lugged" around the 70-200 f/2.8 II for years and years, often shooting concert festivals...moving between stages backend forth on a pretty large set of grounds.

It just isn't a back breaker that people keep trying to paint it. I am NOT in great shape myself either, I'm a bit overweight, but while I was tired at the end of a full 10 hour day....carrying the 5D3, the 70-200 f/2.8, the 24-70 L, and the 11-14L (talk about an anchor of a lens) in a pack....

It certainly wasn't that big a deal. And these tests I'm talking about are usually 3-4 days at a time in a row...so, doing that every day.

Of course, lighter would be nicer. But, it isn't THAT big a deal.

9 times out of 10 I’m carrying two cameras - nowadays it’s theR5 with 100-400L II w/1.4X III on the right and the EOS-R (or 5D4 or 7D2) with the EF 70-200L f.2.8L, or RF 70-200L f2.8, or the EF 16-35 or whatever. It’s a 10-13 pound load. I’m not a young guy. I have long days and short days, but most are in the woods and the hills and cliffs of our little Island so it can be a thing.

I always chuckle when someone talks about how “heavy“ a lens is. Especially when it’s something like the 28-70 or the like.

I flash to Crocadile Dundee saying “that ain’t a knife...”

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Simply discontinuing EF lenses and DSLR bodies is not an incentive.
No, but it will move the process along.

Son’t doesn’t maintain two distinct product lines. If Canon is smart, they won’t either. They can’t and expect to be a segment leader.

People want mirrorless - like I said yesterday, I’m not sure if they know WHY they want mirrorless but it’s the trend and it’s what the marketing is pushing and it’s becoming harder and harder to convince the masses to look at DSLR when all of their friends are driving the latest mirrorless.

I’m sold on mirrorless for a host of reasons but I kept all my DSLRs too. I love them all. I just don’t see the next wave of new shooters being lured by old tech that is rapidly being left behind by the mirrorless world.

When they can’t even keep cameras on the shelves there is no reason to offer incentives.

I’m thinking maybe this holiday season. It becomes moot when you can call B&H Corporate and just ask them for a discount outright and get one. Who needs a rebate? I only paid $3700 + no tax for my R5 preorder... That’s $500 bucks saved at launch..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...if Canon is dropping EF lenses left and right, that kinda indicates strongly to me, that they do not intend to make any new EF mount cameras, ie...no more DSLR mirror slappers...

Am I missing something here?
Yes. You are missing that this is a rumors site. CRGuy says that Canon is dropping EF lenses left and right, and it's true that they have retired some less popular lenses. But his claims about certain lenses are not backed up by any official sources and at least one rumor (regarding the 70-200 f4 II) seems particularly suspicious. It is in stock and readily available from all major retailers and on Canon's own site.

If it turns out that Canon really is dropping EF lenses, then you will be correct. But right now, until Canon confirms this, all we have is rumors.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
True....BUT, for how long will that work out?
Per my earlier post...it depends on how long Canon and other mirrorless camera bodies will incorporate electronics/software/signals that will through an adaptor work the aperture on the EF lenses.

I don't see why this would happen. I believe RF uses the EF pins, but adds a high speed serial channel for information dense communications like lens corrections built into the lens firmware. (I'm not sure if they're using it for that yet, but that's an example of why you would want a serial channel.) Otherwise EF signals are passed through to the R body.

As for the other mounts, EF translation is mostly a 'solved problem.' These types of things do not change often. If Sony completely replaced their mount protocol it would render their existing lenses useless as well as adapted lenses, for example. I just do not foresee mounts changing again, and changing so radically that adapter manufacturers do not want to update their adapters.

I'm fairly confident EF glass will be usable for decades to come, if not centuries. (Though on that timescale you start to face other threats such as a cell phone sensor/lens better than any ILC, people giving up photography for 3D virtual reality, an asteroid impact, World War 3, etc.)

Upvote 0