Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

This is my last shot with the 85 1.2L II ... And it is of the guy who bought it from me. I took it to demonstrate the 3D pop and phenomenal bokeh of this lens. I pushed the preorder button for the Otus 85/1.4, so I did not see the point in having both. Not very often I am selling a favorite lens, but this time I did ...

Attachments

• _D7T1799.jpg
    _D7T1799.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 371
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Just curious... how much did you sell it for?

Eldar said:
This is my last shot with the 85 1.2L II ... And it is of the guy who bought it from me. I took it to demonstrate the 3D pop and phenomenal bokeh of this lens. I pushed the preorder button for the Otus 85/1.4, so I did not see the point in having both. Not very often I am selling a favorite lens, but this time I did ...

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Just curious... how much did you sell it for?

Eldar said:
I got $100 more than I paid for it, so it was a good deal when I bought it and a good deal when I sold it. Bought in the US and sold in Norway is normally a good deal.

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
jdramirez said:
Do any of y'all shoot the 85 L in a studio setting with a solid color background. Other than the blurring of the nose and face, it seems like it would be a waste.

I can't think of any significant advantage other than that. I almost always use my 70-200 or 100 for studio portraits since the tripod collar makes for quick vertical/horizontal orientation changes. Using a tripod allows me to pull my face away from the viewfinder to connect with my subject as I shoot, and closely monitor expressions at moment of capture.

The 85 is just too amazing on backgrounds and dof to shoot past f/2 :)

14509561637_c90a82f23b_c.jpg

1Dx, 1/250, f1.8, ISO100

Upvote 0
BL said:
jdramirez said:
Do any of y'all shoot the 85 L in a studio setting with a solid color background. Other than the blurring of the nose and face, it seems like it would be a waste.

I can't think of any significant advantage other than that. I almost always use my 70-200 or 100 for studio portraits since the tripod collar makes for quick vertical/horizontal orientation changes. Using a tripod allows me to pull my face away from the viewfinder to connect with my subject as I shoot, and closely monitor expressions at moment of capture.

The 85 is just too amazing on backgrounds and dof to shoot past f/2 :)

1Dx, 1/250, f1.8, ISO100
Great portrait BL, and those are my thoughts and how I use my gear - exactly!

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
JohnDizzo15 said:
Hadn't been using the 85 much as of late but pulled it out recently for the arrival of a new light.

Very nice John. Great lens for kids. Love the bokeh

I have huge collection of my kids photos with 85L II. I need and want this lens back in my Canon bag ;)

Thanks, Dylan.

I love it as well which is why I made the decision to dump the 135 and 100 when I was trimming down. I find that I've been using the Fuji 56/1.2 about 95% of the time I need 85mm though which is why the Canon 85 had sat in my closet for a while.

Why did it ever leave your bag to begin with?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
JohnDizzo15 said:
Dylan777 said:
JohnDizzo15 said:
Hadn't been using the 85 much as of late but pulled it out recently for the arrival of a new light.

I have huge collection of my kids photos with 85L II. I need and want this lens back in my Canon bag ;)

Thanks, Dylan.

I love it as well which is why I made the decision to dump the 135 and 100 when I was trimming down. I find that I've been using the Fuji 56/1.2 about 95% of the time I need 85mm though which is why the Canon 85 had sat in my closet for a while.

A friend of mine shooting with XT1 + 56/1.2. IQ is excellent, not to mention, the looks of that combo is beautiful.

My a7s + FE 55mm f1.8 combo doesn't have look, however, I enjoy the high ISO shooting very much.

I got broke-in last month. Half of my Canon gear got stolen, including 85L II.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Dylan777 said:
JohnDizzo15 said:
Dylan777 said:
JohnDizzo15 said:

Thanks, Dylan.

A friend of mine shooting with XT1 + 56/1.2. IQ is excellent, not to mention, the looks of that combo is beautiful.

My a7s + FE 55mm f1.8 combo doesn't have look, however, I enjoy the high ISO shooting very much.

I got broke-in last month. Half of my Canon gear got stolen, including 85L II.

I'm starting a mini-break tomorrow... and when I come back in a week... all my stuff will still be there because it is currently strewn all over the floor... looks like a mess... ya know... to throw off the criminals.

Upvote 0