Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
183
0
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
If you don't like/need thin DOF then you will save yourself a lot of money. I myself am a sucker for thin DOF so I end up spending a lot of money for lenses with huge apertures (1.2). Obviously these lenses have the added benefit of more light, allowing faster shutter speeds, but I'm paying to get that razor thin DOF. It's personal preference, but I do think the 85mm 1.2 has some "voodoo magic" to its images :)
 

gary samples

EOS RP
Apr 15, 2013
399
0
Pinchers of Peril said:
If you don't like/need thin DOF then you will save yourself a lot of money. I myself am a sucker for thin DOF so I end up spending a lot of money for lenses with huge apertures (1.2). Obviously these lenses have the added benefit of more light, allowing faster shutter speeds, but I'm paying to get that razor thin DOF. It's personal preference, but I do think the 85mm 1.2 has some "voodoo magic" to its images :)
+1
 

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
5,508
3,905
Irving, Texas
Pinchers of Peril said:
My oldest, playing in the flowers

Very enchanting photo. Beautifully done! I really think the way the EF 85mm f/1.2 II USM handles background OOF is just perfect. Again, a truly great photo!
 

bluenoser1993

EOS RP
Jul 11, 2012
210
17
Pinchers of Peril said:
Thanks for the kind words. This was actually a sunrise photo shoot adventure and she did so good for it that afterwards I took her to breakfast. Here's another from that morning and a picture of our Daddy-daughter breakfast date afterwards.

Incredible. I love these pictures in the flowers. The best part is how they look like they just happened naturally. This is where I fail. I have twin girls and have had limited success one on one, but getting them together has been a problem. Mostly on my part because I get too much of an idea about what I want in in my head and they get impatient with me. Luckily it isn't what feeds the family, but I sure wish I could capture moments like this. Well Done!
 

Kristofgss

EOS 90D
Aug 6, 2012
124
0
I definitely fall into the amateur/hobby photgrapher category, but I love the 85 f1.2 for the ability to just point it at the subject and have that soft, dreamy and sharp look at the same time. This was just taken inside our living room when playing around with it.
 

Attachments

  • 5D_43273b.jpg
    5D_43273b.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 376

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
183
0
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
bluenoser1993 said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
Thanks for the kind words. This was actually a sunrise photo shoot adventure and she did so good for it that afterwards I took her to breakfast. Here's another from that morning and a picture of our Daddy-daughter breakfast date afterwards.

Incredible. I love these pictures in the flowers. The best part is how they look like they just happened naturally. This is where I fail. I have twin girls and have had limited success one on one, but getting them together has been a problem. Mostly on my part because I get too much of an idea about what I want in in my head and they get impatient with me. Luckily it isn't what feeds the family, but I sure wish I could capture moments like this. Well Done!

Ha ha, I totally know what you mean. I actually have three kids all under 5 years old and trying to get all three of them in the same frame (let alone the same focal plane) is a real challenge. I also find myself getting frustrated sometimes because I'll have a certain image in my head but they don't cooperate for me to get it ha ha. Usually I just let them run around like crazy and try to get while I can, but most often it's just one of them at a time :)
 
P

Pookie

Guest
FEBS said:
Pookie said:
A fun little shoot is a dry creek bed near my house...

Canon 5D Mark III w/ 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Elinchrom Quadra into 1.5 m Profoto RFi Octa 45 deg right

Hi Pookie,

very nice shot. Lovely composition and inspiration. :)

Thank you... trying for a style of my own based on the Sucker Punch movie.
 
P

Pookie

Guest
gary samples said:
? what seems odd to me is non-pro voicing a un schooled opinion ::) but again it wouldn't be canon rumors without it
two more to my Ignore list ;D

I thought your girl looked great... I feel your pain though as my oldest has taken to hiding when the camera comes out.

This is Canon Rumors... where photography is merely a byproduct of senors and associated gadgets. This site is rife with armchair quarterbacks unfort... Much respect for those that think the other way around and put photographs representing real world use to back up the talk.
 

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
253
8
74
Colorado
On the subject of paper thin depth of field, here is an interesting discussion of the subject.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/06/in-defense-of-depth.html

Everyone doesn't like the eyes sharp and ears completely blurry.

So far I don't believe anyone has commented on the chromatic aberration of the 85mm f/1.2. In two of the examples I sited by Gary, particularly if you click on the photo and get the full-size image, there is more CA than I would be willing to accept from any lens. The picture of the young girl is daring, and the focus on the eyes exquisite. The same young lady in the polka dot blouse is enchanting, but the CA in the out-of-focus white dots is extremely high. Does no one else find the aberration of this lens a problem?
 

Kristofgss

EOS 90D
Aug 6, 2012
124
0
nc0b said:
Everyone doesn't like the eyes sharp and ears completely blurry.
That would be a misquote. "not everyone likes the eyes sharp and ears completely blurry." would be more accurate :D
 

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
183
0
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
Kristofgss said:
nc0b said:
Everyone doesn't like the eyes sharp and ears completely blurry.
That would be a misquote. "not everyone likes the eyes sharp and ears completely blurry." would be more accurate :D

Unless of course they are trying to saying that literally EVERYBODY dislikes sharp eyes are blurry ears :) Which of course wouldn't be true.. but still.
 
<-- start Taboola -->