Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM on the Way [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>It looks like we’re going to get a new 85mm lens from Canon. We’ve been trying to nail down exactly what the lens would be, and we finally have.</p>
<p>The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM will be announced in 2017, though we’re still trying to nail down an estimated announcement timeframe.</p>
<p>We don’t know if the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS will be a replacement for the EF 85mm f/1.2L II or an addition to the lineup.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

cellomaster27 said:
Now THIS is exciting!!! 85mm (best focal distance ever for portraits - the 135mm), F1.4 (good enough for me), and with IS! With currently used systems for improved focus motor and build quality and improved optics, it'll smash the third party lenses! Hopefully it'll have weathersealing!
me 2
very exciting

Upvote 0
e6f1b6425e516a450d1d18ee7c193fafd7b551446aa4d75aae8bd35b7ac7176c.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Well, it's about time. I think I could live with f1.4. I sure would love a little more sharpness and faster focus though. I don't expect a cheaper lens though because once you stuff image stabilization into it along with maybe some BR glass, that ought to be worth something, literally. I never owned the current lens and have a good friend who lets me borrow his. Yeah, nice guy to do that eh? Of course I love the lens but if it could be a little sharper, faster and stabilized. Here's hoping this new one comes out soon and is as good as I would like. My friend will not have to sweat when I take his lens for a day anymore.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I've rented the 85/1.2 and loved it -- but the focus needed steady deliberation or a steady hand & manual focus. But the results were worth it. I shoot the wonderful 85/1.8 nearly everyday and it is my goto for portrait work.
I am excited for a 85/1.4 for even better control of critical focus than the 1.2 but better results than the 1.8 (already super).
I'll order one upon announcement unless they get greedy. The 85/1.8 is still THAT GOOD and the results are perfect. Hard to explain spending large sums of money to get one stop improvement unless it's corner-to-corner is perfection!

Upvote 0