Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Images and specifications for the Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM that we first told you about back in January have finally leaked out over at DCI.</p>
<ul>
<li>Lens construction: 6 10 sheets group (one glass molded aspherical lens)</li>
<li>Aperture number of blades: seven (circular aperture)</li>
<li>Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.13 m (working distance 3 cm)</li>
<li>Maximum shooting magnification: 1 time</li>
<li>Image stabilization effect: Approximately 4 stops</li>
<li>Filter diameter: 49 mm (with lens hood ES – 27)</li>
<li>installed ) – Size: 55.8 x 69.2 mm</li>
<li>Weight: Approx. 190 g</li>
<li>Macro light mounted</li>
<li>Hybrid IS</li>
<li>Lead screw type STM</li>
</ul>
<p>This lens will be announced on Thursday, April 6, 2017 in most parts of the world.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

ahsanford said:
Canon Rumors said:
Maximum shooting magnification: 1 time

Whoa. Time out.

1 time = 1x = 1:1? It's a 1:1 macro?! No one was expecting that. I thought we were expecting a 'compact' 1:2 macro.

If it's a true 1:1, that's impressive.

- A

Actually, I was expecting more. After all, the similar EF-M 28mm macro lens goes to 1.2x magnification...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

neuroanatomist said:
Actually, I was expecting more. After all, the similar EF-M 28mm macro lens goes to 1.2x magnification...

My goodness. I missed that -- I must have assumed it was 1:2 as the 1.2 was a punctuation typo.

Thx for the correction!

- A

Upvote 0

In my opinion, if the specifications are correct, this can be one of the most useless lenses Canon ever created. :(
Okay, it's a 1:1 macro. But if the MFD is 13 cm it's only good for flowers. There's no way you can get this close to any beetle, not to mention butterflies (!), unless they're dead. But who wants to take photos of dead beetles? Me not!
It's even worse that it has STM :'( motor so it does not support real FTM. :'( When I take macro photos, I try to focus before I turn the camera on and only turn it on if both the focus and the composition seems to be ok for me. Witn an STM (focus-by-wire) lens this is impossible.
And I really don't get it. :-[ What makes people think that macro means that you have to or want to put the lens into the subject's mouth? :-\ A telephoto macro (between 250 and 300 mm) with 1:1 magnification and about 0.75 to 1 meter MFD would be more useful for beetles, butterflies, lizards and many spiders. :D
So this is another lens I won't buy ever. :(

Upvote 0

SkynetTX said:
In my opinion, if the specifications are correct, this can be one of the most useless lenses Canon ever created. :(
Okay, it's a 1:1 macro. But if the MFD is 13 cm it's only good for flowers. There's no way you can get this close to any beetle, not to mention butterflies (!), unless they're dead. But who wants to take photos of dead beetles? Me not!
It's even worse that it has STM :'( motor so it does not support real FTM. :'( When I take macro photos, I try to focus before I turn the camera on and only turn it on if both the focus and the composition seems to be ok for me. Witn an STM (focus-by-wire) lens this is impossible.
And I really don't get it. :-[ What makes people think that macro means that you have to or want to put the lens into the subject's mouth? :-\ A telephoto macro (between 250 and 300 mm) with 1:1 magnification and about 0.75 to 1 meter MFD would be more useful for beetles, butterflies, lizards and many spiders. :D
OP mentioned MFD as 3cm not 13cm. It has better implementation of STM (Lead screw implementation which is used in lens like 18-135 IS STM i.e., fast and silent unlike 40mm pancake lens).

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

ritholtz said:
SkynetTX said:
OP mentioned MFD as 3cm not 13cm. It has better implementation of STM (Lead screw implementation which is used in lens like 18-135 IS STM i.e., fast and silent unlike 40mm pancake lens).
Canon Rumors said:
<li>Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.13 m (working distance 3 cm)</li>

.13m=13cms
3cms is working distance of the lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

SkynetTX said:

You're presuming the subject is alive with this lens, and that would be a mistake. ::)

This lens isn't for stealthily pegging dragonflies a meter away. This would appear to be a lens tailor-made for a casual food photographer, the travel photog who may shoot food in their travels, etc. If you want shoot food in a restaurant at the table and not make a scene, you need a much wider FL macro to do that, hence this new offering.

- A

Upvote 0