Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Coming in April 2016 [CR3]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Because their costs of development were lower. Because they want to undercut the Nikon. Because they can take better advantage of the exchange rates between USD and Yen being a larger company. Any of those (or all) are perfectly valid potential reasons.

And spec sheets don't take pictures. Photographers do. Either way, the 1DX won't be outperformed by the D5 where it matters to the types of pros who need it.

Woony90 said:
Am I clear to say that 1DX Mark II's spec will be inferior to D5's? Why would Canon price their flagship cheaper than Nikon's?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Didn't D5 specs suggest a 3 minute limit to 4K recording? Didn't I read that someplace?

gsealy said:
"The only specification we have confirmed is that it will record 4K video, just like the D5."

It will be interesting to see exactly what the 4K video specs are. That will make a difference for me compared to the other 4K video cameras on the market.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
helpful said:
I am so happy with Canon's decision to set the price at $5999 rather than $6,799.

Canon, I want you to know that the $800 difference will benefit you. Speaking for myself, I plan to purchase two this April, but would have purchased only one if the price were $6,799.

If the price drops by another thousand after the first year, I will likely purchase a third 1D X Mark II as well

Can I ask a dumb question? What would you do with 3 1DX type bodies?

I get owning 3 (or more) different bodies that serve different purposes. I get 2 of the same bodies with 2 different lenses in the midst of a shoot. But 3 at a time? Especially giant 1DX style?

Just curious.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Because their costs of development were lower. Because they want to undercut the Nikon. Because they can take better advantage of the exchange rates between USD and Yen being a larger company. Any of those (or all) are perfectly valid reasons.

And spec sheets don't take pictures. Photographers do. Either way, the 1DX won't be outperformed by the D5 where it matters to the types of pros who need it.

Woony90 said:
Am I clear to say that 1DX Mark II's spec will be inferior to D5's? Why would Canon price their flagship cheaper than Nikon's?

If they updated the sensor technology to catch up with the Nikon, which they should have, I bet the development cost was not cheap. Why do they want to undercut Nikon? They were once a big boy who used to price their flagship however they wanted. Now their marketing stratagy has changed. Why? Because Nikon's cameras are techincally better now days. suddenly "Price" became big factor for them to beat Nikon sale.
Why do I care about the spec?? because it's their flagship line. It's their pride and the technologies applied to the flagship will eventually descend to the cosumer gears. It's funny that you mention that the photographer himself matters the most when taking picture. It's true but why are you getting 1DX series then? just use T6i or something. T6i is x10 better than the flagship cameras from the past. A better tool is a better tool.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
PureClassA said:
Didn't D5 specs suggest a 3 minute limit to 4K recording? Didn't I read that someplace?

gsealy said:
"The only specification we have confirmed is that it will record 4K video, just like the D5."

It will be interesting to see exactly what the 4K video specs are. That will make a difference for me compared to the other 4K video cameras on the market.

Correct. You can read that here:

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf
(D5 info is side by side the D500 in this PDF)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Luds34 said:
helpful said:
I am so happy with Canon's decision to set the price at $5999 rather than $6,799.

Canon, I want you to know that the $800 difference will benefit you. Speaking for myself, I plan to purchase two this April, but would have purchased only one if the price were $6,799.

If the price drops by another thousand after the first year, I will likely purchase a third 1D X Mark II as well

I get owning 3 (or more) different bodies that serve different purposes. I get 2 of the same bodies with 2 different lenses in the midst of a shoot. But 3 at a time? Especially giant 1DX style?

Just curious.

I actually don't know first hand, but I could speculate:

1) You shoot sideline sports (especially in inclement weather) -- easier/faster/safer to swap rigs than swap lenses.

2) You buy/own all of your business' gear but you shoot events with a partner.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

Attachments

• SURAPON-3.jpg
    SURAPON-3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,240
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Being 2 stops behind a SONY sensor strictly in LOW ISO Dynamic Range is apparently your sole measure of sensor quality. That's the only real world metric Canon loses on paper. As I previously stated, D5 has a NIKON sensor, not a SONY sensor. Canon is at no disadvantage to Nikon sensors whatsoever.

What was your CR profile name before Woony90? Or is this really your first post?

Woony90 said:
PureClassA said:
Because their costs of development were lower. Because they want to undercut the Nikon. Because they can take better advantage of the exchange rates between USD and Yen being a larger company. Any of those (or all) are perfectly valid reasons.

Woony90 said:

If they updated the sensor technology to catch up with the Nikon, which they should have, I bet the development cost was not cheap. Why do they want to undercut Nikon? They were once a big boy who used to price their flagship however they wanted. Now their marketing stratagy has changed. Why? Because Nikon's cameras are techincally better now days. suddenly "Price" became big factor for them to beat Nikon sale.
Why do I care about the spec?? because it's their flagship line. It's their pride and the technologies applied to the flagship will eventually descend to the cosumer gears. It's funny that you mention that the photographer himself matters the most when taking picture. It's true but why are you getting 1DX series then? just use T6i or something. T6i is x10 better than the flagship cameras from the past. A better tool is a better tool.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
HA!!!! LOL ;D

ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
helpful said:

Just curious.

1) You shoot sideline sports (especially in inclement weather) -- easier/faster/safer to swap rigs than swap lenses.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Oooooh CR3 snap! :D

The 1DX II is one more thing for Canon to get out to way so that they can give me my 50mm f/nooneknows IS USM.

And a 5D4 with spot metering at any AF point.

And a mirrorless system with native USM lenses and a viewfinder.

And a pony.

- A

P.S. Or Canon / Ted Knight will keep doing this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLdBrx-ijwQ

Upvote 0
Woony90 said:
PureClassA said:

Woony90 said:

Well let's see. The 1Dx DR at ISO 6400 is 9.7 stops. The D4? 9.5 stops. How about the D810? Well, that's 8.3 stops.

Did you realize that DR is ISO-dependent? Or were you just stopping by to say hi?

I care more about the DR at higher ISO's as a sports shooter because...THAT'S where I'm DR limited.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
helpful said:

Just curious.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

LOL!!! You beat me to it! :p

Upvote 0
helpful said:

Unfortunately every time a flagship model comes out with a new sensor we get to pay very high initial price to pay back R&D. I really don't know what's the strategy for price setting, if Canon confidently expects to sell a good number of 1DX IIs initial price could be even lower. That would benefit us all.

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
helpful said:

Just curious.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

3) You are Surapon. what does this mean? some kind of code for big shot or something?

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Oooooh CR3 snap! :D

The 1DX II is one more thing for Canon to get out to way so that they can give me my 50mm f/nooneknows IS USM.

And a 5D4 with spot metering at any AF point.

And a mirrorless system with native USM lenses and a viewfinder.

And a pony.

- A

P.S. Or Canon / Ted Knight will keep doing this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLdBrx-ijwQ

My heart fluttered at that line. I too want a pony.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:

Recording time of more than 3 minutes would be a huge start... but at $6k, I'm not sure this will make sense for me over a Sony F5 style camera. Really hoping for a 5DMk4 (or whatever it's going to be called) with 4K. Also would like to see a crop body with 4K like the D500 (maybe 80D?), but that's probably asking for too much from Canon...

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
bsbeamer said:
gsealy said:

Recording time of more than 3 minutes would be a huge start... but at $6k, I'm not sure this will make sense for me over a Sony F5 style camera. Really hoping for a 5DMk4 (or whatever it's going to be called) with 4K. Also would like to see a crop body with 4K like the D500 (maybe 80D?), but that's probably asking for too much from Canon...

Well, the D5 acts like a crop body with 4k as it's only able to do 4k from the central 8MP of the frame. For 3 mins.

Upvote 0
AshtonNekolah said:
ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
helpful said:

Just curious.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

3) You are Surapon. what does this mean? some kind of code for big shot or something?

No, he's one of the forum members here.

Upvote 0
AshtonNekolah said:

Surapon is a friendly member of the CR Forums, known for clever DIY MacGyver-style flash brackets, rope tripods and for occasionally posting pictures of himself with all his gear on...as he hikes to Delicate Arch, or other places.

Search the CR Forum, and you'll get to know Surapon. He's on my short list of people from the forum I'd like to meet someday. :p

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
AshtonNekolah said:
ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
helpful said:

Just curious.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

Surapon is a bit of a legend around these parts:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=368824

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/photographer-blower-confiscated-tsa-fly-like-missile/

Upvote 0