Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

If you took the time to read this entire thread, you'd see that's not true. People are upset because they want/wanted to buy this camera, and feel ripped by what it doesn't offer.

Without wanting to second guess people's motivations, I'd just point out that we have no way of knowing which of the people here are in the market for this camera, whatever they claim. No reason to take what people say at face value on an internet forum. I would hope that professionals had a more balanced/realistic view of things, but perhaps I have an unduly high opinion of human nature.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Looks like this camera only shines in fps.

Erm what about autofocus? That's the thing that seems to have been complained about most here in regard to the 1Dx2 (contentious though the issue has been), and that looks to be the thing they're making the biggest fuss about. This reminds me of the 6D2 - Canon improved the things people had moaned about the most, in that case number of AF points, so people started moaning about a totally different thing (the precise design of the sensor, the *spread* of the AF points), as if every aspect of every new body had to be changed with every iteration. It was even cheaper on release than its predecessor, but people still complained about the price!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Again, the spec for this camera is too little too late - i.e., if Canon would've offered (which I know they can) a short (say 1 minute) burst-mode of 30/fps at 8k (with high shutter speed) to use both for still and video - such camera would kill any competitor. But sadly, what Canon lacks is someone at the helm similar to Steve Jobs, Allan Kay, Jim Jannard, Elon Musk, etc. Sadly, nowadays Canon has turned into Hewlett Packard - a company with the most brilliant engineers but with a leadership of anti visionaries.

Actually a lot of successful business is about boring decisions. A visionary, or worse a maverick, can be of use - but not always. There are far too many on these forums who think that the way to victory is releasing the bells-and-whistles unicorn camera of their dreams - but Canon's past success has been based on a quite different strategy (large volume sales of low end bodies, a high profile with professionals, etc). It may or may not work in the future, but I can see why they think tried and tested is better than starting from scratch. PS no camera they release would 'kill any competitor'. That's apparently what Sony has been doing for years (if we believe their faithful), and nobody has been killed. Get some perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
To all my beloved haters...
Like I said.. all came true: just a minor upgrade from the mk II.
It’s over for Canon.

I don't think that in a sensor IQ area, read-out and transfer speed, buffering and AF it is going to be a minor update, quite the opposite ....

Upvote 0
To all my beloved haters...
Like I said.. all came true: just a minor upgrade from the mk II.
It’s over for Canon.

sure if you ignore the buffer depth, card write speed to both slots, video functionality greatly enhanced from pedestrian MJPEG and crop factor, AF points, AF-ON joystick control, eyeAF, better liveview AF, greater AF sensitivity in both AF and liveview,etc,etc.

if you ignore all that and look I guess at 20MP.. then yes, it's a minor update ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
sure if you ignore the buffer depth, card write speed to both slots, video functionality greatly enhanced from pedestrian MJPEG and crop factor, AF points, AF-ON joystick control, eyeAF, better liveview AF, greater AF sensitivity in both AF and liveview,etc,etc.

if you ignore all that and look I guess at 20MP.. then yes, it's a minor update ;)

EXACTLY! A minor upgrade, but hey, go ahead and spend your 13.000 dollars for two mk III bodies pal! Enjoy your AF-ON joystick!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
EXACTLY! A minor upgrade, but hey, go ahead and spend your 13.000 dollars for two mk III bodies pal! Enjoy your AF-ON joystick!

Allow me to quote you

CANON IS DOING EVERYTHING WRONG HERE...

All we are waiting for is a crispy sharp and silent (mirrorless) camera with eye-AF, a reasonable amount of megapixels (20 is fine) and built-in WiFi.

Cheers
OK not mirrorless and not saying that some things couldn't be different (assuming the rumor is correct) but you seem comfortable with the 20Mpixels!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

I look at the list and the new features do look impressive. So it seems like a 1DxII as it should to be.

Now I hope that this AF sensor gets to 5DMkV :cool:

Upvote 0
This is rather silly. First, as others have said, the idea that there is one true flagship model is a bit flawed - the 1Dx series is for a particular segment of customers. Second, the 1-series hasn't been the highest res of the Canon lineup for over a decade, indeed it's been the lowest or equal lowest resolution of the FF sensors for most of that time. And the idea that the most expensive body must be the best at everything is a pretty simplistic view - some of the price reflects the ruggedness, durability, etc (even if 'best' could be objectively defined; for resolution more is not always thought of as better). As has been said every time a new camera is released, it's all very well chasing spec sheet stats, but that doesn't necessarily make a camera better. Canon's bodies are always criticised on that basis, but then they outperform expectations; Sony has sparkling specs but often with caveats and then people find problems in other areas during use (though this is a simplification and I gather they are getting better in that regard).

I don't think it is silly at all. First I never said it should be the highest resolution sensor. I also never said it should be the best at everything. I understand the durability and ruggedness as I own a 1D. I am surprised there was not a resolution bump. That's all. It is rare in this day and age a new camera gets introduced without a resolution bump. I guess you can define flagship however you want, however this camera will probably be priced at nearly 2 times the costs of the next most expensive camera. To me that defines flagship. That is the context I am using.

I am not chasing spec sheet stats or whatever that means. I am surprised they remained at 20mp. I had all plans to buy the 1dx3, and I still may. I am just not as excited about the release as I was a week ago. Some doubt has crept in, such as should I just buy a gently used 1dx2 instead as they are going for $3500 or so. Is the auto focus improvement worth 3k. It probably is, but if this was a 30mp release I would be hitting f5 looking to preorder. Now I may still get one, but there is no rush.

I am coming from the point of view of a stills camera owner. I am starting to do more video, and the specs looks great for that. Probably better than I will ever be as an operator. I am not a technical guy, so I don't get into the weeds with those, but again the video specs look great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will be announced on Monday, and we are just posting a summary of the known features and specifications for the new camera. There are still some questions to be answered, specifically what processors the camera is going to use. We suspect the camera will have at least dual DIGIC 9 processors. The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is going to need a lot of processing power to match its RAW video and buffer specifications.
Will it have DPAF?
Yes, it will, with a caveat. You will get DPAF in 1080p and 4K at 23p/24p/30p. You will not get DPAF in 4K 50p/60p or RAW video shooting.
The WFT-E9 wireless transmitter is all-new for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III and will be announced alongside the new flagship Canon DSLR. Canon is boasting industry-leading file transfer speeds and reliability.
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Highlights:

20.1mp
16fps Mechanical
20fps in Liveview
ISO 100-102,400 (extends up to 819,200)
Dual CFexpress card slots
4K 60p with 10-bit 4:2:2...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The new 1D would be a reach for me, but I will probably rent one once they become available to make a final decision. I took advantage of Lens Rentals 9 day for the price of 2 and just finished a 9 day rental of a Sony A9ll with the sony 100-400. Very interesting camera but did not blow me away.
Is it fast yes. Is the auto focus good yes. The animal eye af needs to be close and is not nearly as good as the human eye af. Can you configure all the buttons yes and you will need to. With a glove on I kept moving the Joystick when hitting the AF-on button.
Its a spec sheet queen. I shoot wildlife and BIF and I live in cold climate. With gloves on the camera is difficult to operate.
You really need the grip or add on battery pack to shoot with a large lens. Shooting from the same distance with my 7Dmkll and EF100-400ll image quality was not very different mostly due to not having to crop Was the noise better yes but not as much as I would have thought.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The new 1D would be a reach for me, but I will probably rent one once they become available to make a final decision. I took advantage of Lens Rentals 9 day for the price of 2 and just finished a 9 day rental of a Sony A9ll with the sony 100-400. Very interesting camera but did not blow me away.
Is it fast yes. Is the auto focus good yes. The animal eye af needs to be close and is not nearly as good as the human eye af. Can you configure all the buttons yes and you will need to. With a glove on I kept moving the Joystick when hitting the AF-on button.
Its a spec sheet queen. I shoot wildlife and BIF and I live in cold climate. With gloves on the camera is difficult to operate.
You really need the grip or add on battery pack to shoot with a large lens. Shooting from the same distance with my 7Dmkll and EF100-400ll image quality was not very different mostly due to not having to crop Was the noise better yes but not as much as I would have thought.
Thanks for the mini review. It is nice to hear from people who use various camera vendor/lenses combinations.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
Thanks for sharing. That's a LOT of gymnastics pics! And a testiment to how long the 1Dx series can last. Do you alternate between the bodies, have help, automation? Cheers.
Yes, I have help. We typically use the 1DX11's on the floor, and take between 80-150 pics per kid. We also have competitions with 2 or 3 floors.... so lots of pics per weekend. As mentioned, black gym suits are particularly difficult for the AF. No issues with the durability of the cameras. They are built like tanks. Hopefully less oil splatter issues for the mark 3 version. FYI one of my bodies, the shutter went to 1.35 million actuations before it died!

Upvote 0