Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Talk [CR1]

If it gets Exmor DR, high quality 4k with video usability features and is 28MP and not 18MP then I'll go 5D4 all the way, big time since it would be a DSLR and surely have nicer stills usability and be top for action too. If not, it's A7R II for me for sure.

The 4k on the A7RII is no-skipped, no chip binned, oversampled and has all the zebras and so on so Canon really has to deliver and can't hold back. And it will probably have a lot more MP for stills too.

Not sure it will though otherwise it will hit their XC10, 5Dsr, etc. but IMO rather hit those than do nothing, Canon has thought that way for a long while now though.

Upvote 0
dolina said:
I hope all future EOS bodies will omit the optical low pass filter like the 36.3MP D810, 24.2MP D7200, 24.2MP D5500 and 24.2MP D3300.

I sure hope not! I hope they don't go all SOny and Nikon and go for cheap marketing blather about no-AA filter as if that is something good.
And my gosh, for sure as heck not on 24-28MP FF cameras!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
gdanmitchell said:
toodlebug said:
There is no resolution at which an AA filter is unnecessary.

That would be true if lenses were infinitely sharp. They aren't. ;-)

Even then it wouldn't be true. You'd still need an infinitely stable platform and be shooting in a vacuum, not to mention the aperture and the wavelength of the illuminating source and diffraction.

Upvote 0
gregory4000 said:
Todd, A close friend I've know since he was twelve, works in R&D for Zeiss. Zeiss has collaborated closely with Sony as you know for lens compatibility. He stated that the new Sony A7R ll will come close to an unbelievable 19 stops of dynamic range.

yeah, right. If the scale for DR is [0,infinity), then yes, 14 is close to 19.

Upvote 0
HaroldC3 said:
It doesn't matter what Canon announces, it's already lost to the A7rii.

I'm not happy to be in agreement. I had very little interest in the 5ds/r, and now none.

About the only thing that would be of interest (to me ... others?) would be if Canon swallows their pride and puts a Sony Exmor in the 5d4.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
l_d_allan said:
HaroldC3 said:
It doesn't matter what Canon announces, it's already lost to the A7rii.

I'm not happy to be in agreement. I had very little interest in the 5ds/r, and now none.

About the only thing that would be of interest (to me ... others?) would be if Canon swallows their pride and puts a Sony Exmor in the 5d4.

i wonder at one point Sony will have a big enough market what would be the point of selling their top end sensor to Nikon anymore? when then Nikon will be competing with the Sony cameras?

i don't see this as a good idea for Canon even though i would love it, Canon can and should just release a sensor that's is as good if not better and also make a damn mirror less camera they can start by removing some of the camera lines and replacing them with a great mirror less system.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Per-leeze Canon, bring joy to the world....just give me one new feature on the 5D IV:

Illuminated AF points, Illuminated AF points & Illuminated AF points. And Illuminated AF points.

The red illuminated AF points are one of the central reasons I keep my high-mileage 1D MkIV. I couldn't tell you how often I lose track of the active AF point on my 5D MkIII, and miss shots that would be useful to myself and clients.

And one more time: Illuminated AF points.

-pw

Upvote 0
dolina said:
Native ISO without boost of 51,200, 102,400 and 204,800 would be nice.

I agree.

I really like my 5D3 and my Canon lenses, and would be buying a 5D4 if it would give me an all round camera with improvements in the important features of a DSLR stills camera.

To me that means improvements in the resulting quality of the captured photos.

Megapixels would be nice, but ultimately that's just about digital file size.

Improvements in light sensitivity would be a winning feature for me as that would increase the range of locations and circumstances that I could get excellent photo quality without recourse to using a flash.

With respect to dynamic range, there is only so much dynamic range possible when printing out photos after a while all the subtleties at the extreme ends all turn into white and black unless using a very fancy printer.

Auto focus for me is a winning feature. Improvements in slow aperture auto focus would be a compelling feature for me due to the possibilities it would open up.

So, I am hoping for improved low light / slow aperture auto focus, and improved light sensitivity / ISO.

Other features would be nice, but not necessarily compelling. I use a dedicated motion picture camera for capturing video.

Cheers
David

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
gsealy said:
The Sony A7II release is going to have a major impact on the 5DIV specs that are in the final product. Sony just changed the game and in this particular case Canon has to capitulate.

Boston College just filled their whole baseball roster with left-handed hitters. That changes the game, and in this particular case the New York Yankees will have to capitulate and fill their bullpen with left-handed pitchers.

(In case the sports analogy is lost on you, the point is a Sony MILC isn't in the same league as a Canon dSLR.)

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Per-leeze Canon, bring joy to the world....just give me one new feature on the 5D IV:

Illuminated AF points, Illuminated AF points & Illuminated AF points. And Illuminated AF points.

The red illuminated AF points are one of the central reasons I keep my high-mileage 1D MkIV. I couldn't tell you how often I lose track of the active AF point on my 5D MkIII, and miss shots that would be useful to myself and clients.

-pw
They added this to 70d view finder. I think, they call it intelligent view finder. It will be there in every new release.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ritholtz said:
pwp said:

-pw
They added this to 70d view finder. I think, they call it intelligent view finder. It will be there in every new release.

I don't think so, although looking at pw's post he doesn't actually state what I think he's asking for. He's referring to the AF points being illuminated during subject tracking in AI Servo. That was added via firmware update (based on user feedback) to the 1D X, but not the 5DIII. The 7DII has it. I strongly suspect that feature depends on the RGB metering sensor – in Servo tracking, metering and AF are continuous except when the mirror is up, and the red light shining inside the pentaprism mucks up metering (the illumination method for points on the transmissive LCD is different than that for focus screen etched points like on the 1DIV). The illumination on the 1D X and 7DII flickers, and I believe that in combination with the RGB metering system being able to selectively ignore red light allows the feature to work. The 5DIII doesn't have RGB metering, whereas the 1D X and 7DII do. I have no doubt the 5DIV will also get RGB metering, and will be able to illuminate AF points during Servo tracking (although the illumination isn't as effective as on the 1DIV).

OTOH, if pw is referring to constant AF point illumination in all modes, I don't think that's likely with any of the transmissive LCD bodies.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
gsealy said:
The Sony A7II release is going to have a major impact on the 5DIV specs that are in the final product. Sony just changed the game and in this particular case Canon has to capitulate.

Boston College just filled their whole baseball roster with left-handed hitters. That changes the game, and in this particular case the New York Yankees will have to capitulate and fill their bullpen with left-handed pitchers.

(In case the sports analogy is lost on you, the point is a Sony MILC isn't in the same league as a Canon dSLR.)

Hmmm. . . . been a sports guy probably more than you have been alive. So you shouldn't think too highly of yourself. The world has a way of changing and it is best to take note of such.

Upvote 0