Canon EOS 5D X Chatter Continues [CR0]

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
scyrene said:
Given we don't really know what DIGIC numbers mean, this is odd. You just want it to be able to do the stuff you want. Who cares what processor(s) it uses?

B-but... numbers! DIGIC 6+ is, like, 1 better than the 5+ in 5D3, and that's not very much! But with dual 6+ you get 12++ which is a lot more than 5+!

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
M_S said:
I still hope for dual Cfast, I really don't use the SD card slot and it would, at least for me, be a dead and unused slot I would otherwise use a lot I guess. Also I am hoping for 33MP, as this would be very welcome for landscape pics and it would definitly be welcome for people photography. Some cropping is always possible. Perhaps the ML guys can pull out some 8K out of that then and with Cfast, there is at least a chance that this could work:)

I am thinking we have a bit of sarcasm here. :)

The 5DIII/ML can handle 2K RAW 30 fps on the fastest CompactFlash cards, with a little room to spare. Now we are suggesting that the 5Dx write 16 times the data on a CFast card? Don't think so. And even if it did, it would eat up 256GB in a just about a heartbeat. Hello new house mortgage!

There comes a point when it is time to give up on a DSLR doing a big boy's video job. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
gsealy said:
M_S said:
I still hope for dual Cfast, I really don't use the SD card slot and it would, at least for me, be a dead and unused slot I would otherwise use a lot I guess. Also I am hoping for 33MP, as this would be very welcome for landscape pics and it would definitly be welcome for people photography. Some cropping is always possible. Perhaps the ML guys can pull out some 8K out of that then and with Cfast, there is at least a chance that this could work:)

I am thinking we have a bit of sarcasm here. :)

Yep. The irony button was pushed waaaaay in on that last part. For the first part: no, I mean that.

Upvote 0
I guess I must not be the only Canon user out there who is still running on the 5DMII and waiting forever for a great update camera.
My photography jobs are kind of wide, I go from fashion, portrait, packshot, still life, architecture and corporate events and even weddings.
In order to cover the lacking capability of the 5DMII or its inadequacy on the job I go and rent the proper tool for the proper job. It means getting a 5DMIII as a first body for event, or a phase one for a fashion campaign, a 5DS for a a life style shooting which goes to bill boards , you get the idea.
My main complain on the whole Canon range of camera is the poor DR. I mean what a pain in the A**. Overall I just don't care about video, if I need to do video I just get the proper tool and generally I just hire a proper operator. I don't care either for gadgets, but when are we seeing a USB 3 on the 5D line in order to improve our teathering? Where is a proper "crop" mode which I would like to be a "composition" mode like where you can choose a image format and have its grid in the viewfinder for you to compose your image?
And for the love of god, when are they bringing up the game changer and realease a foveon like sensor, which is the only type of sensor that makes sens IMO in the digital era...
2016 is going to be the year for a lot of photographers like me, who might just get one or two cheap bodies like the 80D (which could be better then my 5DMII as a workhorse) or just switch to another brand by lack of trust in the company ability to invest in its core customers.
I am very excited by the Sigma SD Quattro annoucement for example, I would definitely consider it as my main camera and have a cheaper body with a pair of zooms to do the "basic" work.

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
Canon Rumors said:
squarebox said:
I wonder if they are staying away from the number four because of it being unlucky in Japan and meaning death, hence the X instead of mk4.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious here.

EOS-1D Mark IV
+1 Kill that myth on the dot, right on. The X is late should of bin out 5 years ago.

Upvote 0
AshtonNekolah said:
Canon Rumors said:
squarebox said:
I wonder if they are staying away from the number four because of it being unlucky in Japan and meaning death, hence the X instead of mk4.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious here.

EOS-1D Mark IV
+1 Kill that myth on the dot, right on. The X is late should of bin out 5 years ago.

How about EOS 40D for that matter ;)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
bdunbar79 said:
I don't understand the "X" in this name? Is it the 10th generation 5-series? Is it the merging of two lines?

I presume "X" is supposed to mean something like "high-end professional". 5D3 was already in many ways a much more pro offering than the previous 5D models (with 6D branched off as the more affordable alternative) and now they're re-branding the product line to reflect that.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
bdunbar79 said:
I don't understand the "X" in this name? Is it the 10th generation 5-series? Is it the merging of two lines?

I presume "X" is supposed to mean "professional". 5D3 was already in many ways a much more pro offering than the previous 5D models, and now they're re-branding the product line to reflect that.

Why would X mean professional? The 1Dx doesn't have the X because it means professional. Why would that be true with a 5Dx?

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
cchristophee said:
I guess I must not be the only Canon user out there who is still running on the 5DMII and waiting forever for a great update camera.
My photography jobs are kind of wide, I go from fashion, portrait, packshot, still life, architecture and corporate events and even weddings.
In order to cover the lacking capability of the 5DMII or its inadequacy on the job I go and rent the proper tool for the proper job. It means getting a 5DMIII as a first body for event, or a phase one for a fashion campaign, a 5DS for a a life style shooting which goes to bill boards , you get the idea.
My main complain on the whole Canon range of camera is the poor DR. I mean what a pain in the A**. Overall I just don't care about video, if I need to do video I just get the proper tool and generally I just hire a proper operator. I don't care either for gadgets, but when are we seeing a USB 3 on the 5D line in order to improve our teathering? Where is a proper "crop" mode which I would like to be a "composition" mode like where you can choose a image format and have its grid in the viewfinder for you to compose your image?
And for the love of god, when are they bringing up the game changer and realease a foveon like sensor, which is the only type of sensor that makes sens IMO in the digital era...
2016 is going to be the year for a lot of photographers like me, who might just get one or two cheap bodies like the 80D (which could be better then my 5DMII as a workhorse) or just switch to another brand by lack of trust in the company ability to invest in its core customers.
I am very excited by the Sigma SD Quattro annoucement for example, I would definitely consider it as my main camera and have a cheaper body with a pair of zooms to do the "basic" work.

Looks like canon is doing to the bodies like it's lenses, they will have a body for just about every situation. 50mp is over kill and 36mp is more than enough for anything, when I was shooting once a guy had a nikon 36mp 128gig card and bragging that he filled it up so fast, I mean that's 36mp the 5d3 is not that much over the 5d2 great bodies, what will be really neat is for them to do the new bodies like the 5ds just like they showed before use a switch to go from asp to full frame.
All this talk about dynamic rage full vs crop senor will soon die out in about 15 more years or so, and it's not canon to blame it's the people cause they never seem to get enough of it.
Bravo Canon, just keep making and they will keep on buying!!!

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
bdunbar79 said:
Why would X mean professional? The 1Dx doesn't have the X because it means professional. Why would that be true with a 5Dx?

Professional is maybe a wrong word, but as far as I can see Canon wants to brand its highest-end offerings with an X. In the 1DX case it was also supposed to denote a "leap forward" in technology and performance, that's probably also what they want to connote with the putative 5DX. Perhaps X is meant to be to bodies what L is to lenses. (Indeed, just like there are no APS-C "L" lenses I predict we won't see any APS-C "X" bodies.)

Also, this is speculation but it just might be that the 5Ds remains a one-off experiment and the new 5D will be the successor of both the 5Ds and the 5D3.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
docsmith said:
AWR said:
CanonFanBoy said:
RickWagoner said:
It may come soon as NAB or will be put off until later this year if Canon is playing catch up on preorder or dealer stock of the 1dx2, they don't want the next 5D to hurt the first burst of 1dx2 sales like the 5d3 hurt the 1dx last time.

Um, the 1DX was released 13 months later than the 5D Mark III. Please tell us how the 5D III release in March of 2012 hurt the sales of the 1DX released in April of 2013. Also, how do you know it hurt sales at all?

If your ear is planted so firmly to the ground then why not just leak the 5DX specs to us all now? ::)
Maybe you should check your info about the announcing and releasing dates.

1Dx was announced October of 2011 and released Q2 of 2012. 5DIII was announced and released March 2012.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_X
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III

Rick was correct.

Yup, he is correct. I was looking at the 1DC date.

However, that still does not answer the question at hand. Where is the data to prove that the release dates of the 1DX and 5D Mark III hurt each other in any way? There isn't any. It's just speculation.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
scyrene said:
BigAntTVProductions said:
Dual Digic 6+at least

Given we don't really know what DIGIC numbers mean, this is odd. You just want it to be able to do the stuff you want. Who cares what processor(s) it uses?
how about u just mind your business and stop judging peoples comments and keep it moving

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
docsmith said:
AWR said:
CanonFanBoy said:
RickWagoner said:
It may come soon as NAB or will be put off until later this year if Canon is playing catch up on preorder or dealer stock of the 1dx2, they don't want the next 5D to hurt the first burst of 1dx2 sales like the 5d3 hurt the 1dx last time.

Um, the 1DX was released 13 months later than the 5D Mark III. Please tell us how the 5D III release in March of 2012 hurt the sales of the 1DX released in April of 2013. Also, how do you know it hurt sales at all?

If your ear is planted so firmly to the ground then why not just leak the 5DX specs to us all now? ::)
Maybe you should check your info about the announcing and releasing dates.

1Dx was announced October of 2011 and released Q2 of 2012. 5DIII was announced and released March 2012.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_X
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III

Rick was correct.

Yup, he is correct. I was looking at the 1DC date.

However, that still does not answer the question at hand. Where is the data to prove that the release dates of the 1DX and 5D Mark III hurt each other in any way? There isn't any. It's just speculation.

the data as in what sale numbers? or everyones knowledge the quick release hurt the 1dx? it noway is speculation actually a long known fact...is this your first rodeo?

Upvote 0
Zv said:
We've had a camera with a 4 in the name before - 1D MKIV and that worked out just fine. This 5DX idea sounds like nonsense.

Same with the megapixel count being higher than 24. For those wedding photographers that need a high MP camera they already have the 5DS(r).

Those who shoot weddings and events regularly take thousands of pics and need to edit those quickly. I doubt they want to be bogged down with large files that clog up their hardware and slow down their workflow. 24MP is fine for printing at most of the usual sizes that go into an album.

The 5D3 is already a winning formula, why mess with it too much?

Not sure why some folk want this weird in between figure of 36MP?? What do you do that needs more resolution than 20MP but not all the way to 50MP? Because 50 is too much??

They pick 36MP because they know Canon won't dare go closer to the 5Ds but some want the extra cropping room, extra detail, extra reach for wildlife and sports and want as much more than 21MP as they can get. PLus years old Nikon generation has 36MP and a7RII has like 42MP.

The 5Ds is ultra specialized. The buffer is very poor for action. The fps are slow for action. The DR isn't superb for landscape or tricky wildlife scenarios. The video is whatever. It misses on many marks and is ultra highly targeted to those who need the ultimate MP count and strong SNR and good AF but basically don't care too much about anything else (DR, video, buffer, speed). In some ways it does quite a few things worse than a 5D3.

Upvote 0
kevl said:
They know that while there is a segment of their customers who need to have video for some work that DSLRs are just no longer the right tool for the job. Mirrorless is a superior tool for a lot of reasons that just putting an amazing sensor in a DSLR could never trump. So why should Canon chase customers who aren't going to buy their products anyway?

Why is mirrorless superior for that other than the mirrorless makers have bothered to deliver more? What is a DLSR in video mode/live view mode but mirrorless? At that point there is no mirror.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:
It seems as though Canon has worked themselves into somewhat of a little box regarding 4K. The 1DxII has it, but relative to the 1Dc it kind of lacks video features like C-Log. And it is basically an 8 bit video stream, which is lacking. I always thought of the 1Dc as kind of a revolutionary camera and represented the crossover between the still and the video worlds. The 1DxII is not so much of that, although the 4K 60 fps feature is darn good and so is DPAF. There is NO external recording of 4K in the current feature set, only HD. There is possible room to grow in future 1DxII firmware releases to make it more video robust, but we cannot count on Canon. Another way to look at it is that the 1Dc concept is basically gone, for now.

So where does that leave the '5Dx?' I just don't see Canon besting the 1DxII's videos capabilities at say a $3500 price point. Ok, so it has 4K, but I would be a bit surprised we see 4K 60 fps. It gets a bit complicated in terms of marketing strategy abd where the various cameras are positioned.

The only other thing I am thinking of is that Canon could change their structure a bit by developing baseline top level cameras and then selling incremental software packages that can be installed on top of the baseline. For example, if a person just wants high volume and rugged stills capability, such as a sports photographer, then they buy just that in a baseline 1DxII camera. The video capability is totally void. But if a person wants additional video capabilities or say Magic Lantern type features, then they can buy that software package for an additional cost. This way everybody gets what they want and only what they want.

It would be sort of foolish to protect 1DX class video as those beasts bring along lots of expensive stuff that a video shooter won't need and that even many video+stills shooters won't really need or even want (the bulk and weight).

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Aside from likely more MP's and maybe an on-chip adc, has anyone heard speculation about the sensor itself?

Can Canon just use an existing chip and ramp up MP's and stick on an adc, or will they have a brand spanking new chip with new goodness.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

sek

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Regarding 1DX II video: Remember this is a photojournalist's camera. A real world example: I was recently shooting some pictures at a press event for a client. A woman from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was there. After shooting her stills, she set the 1Dx on a tripod, hooked up a microphone and grabbed a quick interview. Those interviews end up on the paper's website.

For a typical photojournalist who has to capture both stills and video, the main advantage of 4K is that it can be more easily edited to HD. That means if you need to fix some camera shake, the framing isn't perfect or you need to add a bit of a pan, a slider or a zoom, effect, you have some headroom to do that. 4K is not necessarily about producing a final 4K resolution to be shown in a movie theater or on the televisions of the half-dozen people who own 4K TVs, it's about flexibility.

Upvote 0