Canon EOS 6D Mark II to Get New 26mp Sensor [CR3]

Yasko said:
ahsanford said:
26 MP
6 fps (previously rumored)
Tilty-flippy (and I think we all assume that will be a touchscreen)
DPAF

All it needs is a half-decent AF setup and a lot of folks will start asking themselves how badly they need 5D-level niceties like 100% VF coverage, 1/8000 shutter, dual slots, etc.

Because a Canon EF rig that it is 90% as good as the 5D4 that only costs 60% as much will sell well, but it may put a dent into 5D4 sales in the process.

- A

Ever since I read about your 6D related posts you predict a catastrophy for the 5D like Nostradamus xD.
A full frame camera with modern features of course will compromise future 5D buys... how could it not?
I am waiting for the 6D and I appreciate it having a lower MP count for being a low light expert, although I
already think about waiting for a EVF full frame to buy... let's see... first world problems ;)

how would the 6d II feature wise compromise the 5d IV?

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
26 MP
DPAF

All it needs is a half-decent AF setup and a lot of folks will start asking themselves how badly they need 5D-level niceties like 100% VF coverage, 1/8000 shutter, dual slots, etc.

Because a Canon EF rig that it is 90% as good as the 5D4 that only costs 60% as much will sell well, but it may put a dent into 5D4 sales in the process.

- A

It might put a dent in 5D sales. But does that matter it is still money for canon and not sony or nikon. There is a lot of people who won't spend 5D money. So if Canon doesn't have a viable option, then most people will buy from a different brand. So selling the 6D will hurt 5D sales and not having a 6D will hurt sales. At least with the 6D then you can sell Lenses and batteries too.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yasko said:
Ever since I read about your 6D related posts you predict a catastrophy for the 5D like Nostradamus xD.
A full frame camera with modern features of course will compromise future 5D buys... how could it not?
I am waiting for the 6D and I appreciate it having a lower MP count for being a low light expert, although I
already think about waiting for a EVF full frame to buy... let's see... first world problems ;)

It won't be a catastrophe by any means -- it will just a harder decision for prospective buyers.

There was a much bigger/clearer feature-set differentiation going on with the 6D vs. 5D3 decision. I feel the 6D2 is shaping up to have a much stronger value proposition vs. the 5D4 than the 6D did vs. the 5D3.

Hence: tough decision. But that's not necessarily a bad thing for photographers.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
26 MP
DPAF

- A

This is just guesswork on my part, but I recently sold my 7D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 just because of the 6D Mark II. I would never invest in a 5D rig, but I did want to go full-frame.
I'm wondering if the 'dent' in 5D series sales is outweighed by people like me who: a) invest a little more in a full-frame rig as opposed to staying on the more affordable APS-C spectrum; b) will now buy lenses that aren't EF-S and thus cost more.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
The AF specs could well be the thing that makes or breaks it.
+1
Everything else on it is certain to be basically good. I think some folks would upgrade even if it were just an old 6D with an updated af system.

The other aspect is price. The new 6D is going to need to offer a clear value proposition over one of the bazillion 5D iii's floating around, as it will obviously be a good deal more expensive.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Looking good.

The 5DMKVI is a bit of a hard pill to swallow compared to the upgrade proposition of the 5DMKIII vs 5DMKII. The price is holding strong compared to the III that sank pretty quickly.

The main issue with the 6D for 5D users is the AF selection and the general layout which will stay the same.

I have a 70D 7DMKII and 5DMKIII and the AF selection on the 70D even with its relatively small 19 point af with the multi directional control pad is not what I would call quick or accurate and is so bad compared to the dedicated AF control stick on the 5 and 7 lines.

The 6DMKII will be a fantastic camera, but it will have a designed flaw so 5D users wont be too tempted to either downgrade or side step instead of upgrade I would say this and the build quality/weather sealing will be exactly that.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Famateur said:
brad-man said:
Does "Vari-Angle LCD" mean it operates on a single plane like the M series, or is it articulated? Also, what can we read into the lack of mention of the AF system? Inquiring minds want to know...

I believe Vari-Angle is the term for the fully articulating screen. Both my G12 and 70D have articulating screens, and Vari-Angle was the moniker used on the box.

PS: I've been waiting for an articulating screen on a Canon full-frame body for ages! If AF system (number and sensitivity of points) is anything close to the 70D, I'm in.

Thanks! You are quite right about the "vari-angle." Assuming it will be a touchscreen, all I am really interested in is its AF system (obviously) and level of weather sealing (if any).

Upvote 0
My guess is that it might be a FF version of 80D, from which it might borrow the 45 Cross-type AF points system.
With 26 MP sensor and vari-angle LCD almost confirmed, it should have some more things to differentiate it from 5D series (could be 1/4000 shutter speed, no 4K, no joystick, 1/180 sync, no dual card slots, etc.).

But again, that's just my guess..

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
brad-man said:
Famateur said:
brad-man said:
Does "Vari-Angle LCD" mean it operates on a single plane like the M series, or is it articulated? Also, what can we read into the lack of mention of the AF system? Inquiring minds want to know...

I believe Vari-Angle is the term for the fully articulating screen. Both my G12 and 70D have articulating screens, and Vari-Angle was the moniker used on the box.

PS: I've been waiting for an articulating screen on a Canon full-frame body for ages! If AF system (number and sensitivity of points) is anything close to the 70D, I'm in.

Thanks! You are quite right about the "vari-angle." Assuming it will be a touchscreen, all I am really interested in is its AF system (obviously) and level of weather sealing (if any).

The crunch question on the 6DII may well be AF. One piece so the puzzle is Live View. With the vari-angle LCD and touch screen focusing, the 6DII may well have the edge over the 5DIV in Live View for anyone willing to commit to using a tripod, but how many are really willing to do that? :)

With AF through the mirror, the crunch question may be how much is good enough, because the 5DIV will in all likelihood have the edge here. But how many points do you need, and how easy is it to play with them? How much do you care about tracking motion or fps?

Then there is Mr. Wallet's take on this. For Mr. Wallet, being happy with what you have is always an appealing choice.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Sporgon said:
Wonder if it will continue to have interchangeable focusing screens.

That's the key question for me too.
One way for Canon to protect the SLR market against mirrorless competitors is to offer SLRs that actually work. This means that you can see your image in the viewfinder.

All the 5d models since the 5d3 have been useless for judging focus in the viewfinder.

As I've stated before, Canon is an optics company. making a half-decent viewfinder should not be beyond their grasp.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
At 26mp I'm in. I think its a given that the current 11 point AF will be bettered but its wishful thinking to assume it will have the same flash sync and highest shutter speed of the 5D MKIV. It will retain GPS and Wi-Fi and maybe also get NFC and with a flippy screen which will almost certainly be touch screen its a great second camera proposition to the 5D MIV or in my case the 5DS I already have.
I don't really care about video never used it and don't intend using it on either the 5DS or a 6D MKII Ive dedicated video cameras for that which do a better job.

If it stays relatively true to the original 6D then I don't think it will damage 5D MKIV sales the layout will almost certainly follow the basic principles of the current camera / 80D and the 5D MIV will retain a higher frame rate, weather sealing, metering system, AF point separation.

Pretty much every satisfied 6D owner would consider the 6D MKII and a whole bunch of 80D users wanting to go to FF.

The sting in the tail is this camera will almost certainly see a hefty increase over the present camera much like the 5D MKIV.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Dvash7 said:
ahsanford said:
26 MP
DPAF

- A

This is just guesswork on my part, but I recently sold my 7D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 just because of the 6D Mark II. I would never invest in a 5D rig, but I did want to go full-frame.
I'm wondering if the 'dent' in 5D series sales is outweighed by people like me who: a) invest a little more in a full-frame rig as opposed to staying on the more affordable APS-C spectrum; b) will now buy lenses that aren't EF-S and thus cost more.

The 5D and 6D markets are really different. There is some overlap of course, but there are a lot of us who are unwilling to purchase a $3k-plus camera body with just incremental improvements over its predecessors.

I sold my 5D III a bit over a year ago in anticipation of the 5D IV. It was more camera than I needed, and I wanted a bigger DR improvement. I've been living with the 80D (and my Nikon kit), and am highly unlikely to purchase a 5D-level camera from Canon again.

Thus, for me to stay with Canon, it's 6D II or Canon FF mirrorless for me or go home. I'd like to see the 6D II have improved DR over the 5D IV, but that's not a dealbreaker (worst DR than the 5D IV would be a dealbreaker!). Improved AF is important, and it would be great to see Canon finally release a DSLR without an AA filter! If the burst rate hits 6fps, I hope that it has at least a 3 sec buffer.

Other than that, I'm easy.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Bernard said:
Sporgon said:
Wonder if it will continue to have interchangeable focusing screens.

That's the key question for me too.
One way for Canon to protect the SLR market against mirrorless competitors is to offer SLRs that actually work. This means that you can see your image in the viewfinder.

All the 5d models since the 5d3 have been useless for judging focus in the viewfinder.

As I've stated before, Canon is an optics company. making a half-decent viewfinder should not be beyond their grasp.

There seems to be different opinions on why the last couple of 5D's have not had interchangeable screens. One throught is that there are design issues involved. Another opinion is that perverse marketing decisions are at work. Then, it could be about cost cutting or even simple incompetence. Anyway here's hoping that the 6DII has interchangeable screens. Maybe they will implement zebra stripes in Live View.

Upvote 0