Canon EOS 6D Mark II to Get New 26mp Sensor [CR3]

Dvash7 said:
ahsanford said:
26 MP
6 fps (previously rumored)
Tilty-flippy (and I think we all assume that will be a touchscreen)
DPAF

All it needs is a half-decent AF setup and a lot of folks will start asking themselves how badly they need 5D-level niceties like 100% VF coverage, 1/8000 shutter, dual slots, etc.

Because a Canon EF rig that it is 90% as good as the 5D4 that only costs 60% as much will sell well, but it may put a dent into 5D4 sales in the process.

- A

This is just guesswork on my part, but I recently sold my 7D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 just because of the 6D Mark II. I would never invest in a 5D rig, but I did want to go full-frame.
I'm wondering if the 'dent' in 5D series sales is outweighed by people like me who: a) invest a little more in a full-frame rig as opposed to staying on the more affordable APS-C spectrum; b) will now buy lenses that aren't EF-S and thus cost more.

how come u wont get the 5d iv?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LonelyBoy said:
Bernard said:
BillB said:
It might make more sense to start calling the 6D a 6D1. Even though it was never officially a 6D1, that's more or less what it became after the 6DII became part of the conversation. While 6D1 may be redundant, it clearly refers to the first 6D model, and removes some potential for confusion.

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while!

Let's come up with an abbreviation that's longer than the original name, and that will confuses everyone (except for a couple of geeks).

Here's an idea, why not call it what it is actually called? Is it so hard to call the 6D a "6D"? When the 6D2 comes out, we can refer to it as the 6D2. Nobody will be confused, no matter how much you think that "others" may possibly be, in a parallel universe no doubt.

I totally understand the desire to have a shorthand name, or an "insider" name to establish street cred, but it becomes absolutely ridiculous when the made-up name is longer than the real name that everybody already knows and understands.

So yes, literally anything you call it will annoy someone.

Yeah, because it's not the 6D2, it's the 6DII. :p

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
actualy...speaking of metering system.

Canon 80D is equipped with "A new 7560-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor measures both visible light and invisible infra-red light for more accurate exposures". So does 5D Mark IV, so does 1DX, 1DX II, 7D Mark II.

I guess, no point for me to explain benefits of RGB metering system over the old one. I have very high hope for the new RGB mettering chip in 6D II..

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I have a 5D MK III but do not take advantage of 90% of the AF features, autoexposure is less than stellar most of the time, I need to adjust exposure in post processing. I doubt that there will be a improvement in the autoexposure, some day, we will see a major change, but in the 1 series first.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Neutron_K said:
But they are planning to raise the price of 5D IV to $3599 in July in USA. Even now, MSRP is $3499.... I am certainly not sure 6D2 would provide "better value" or another reason to go 5D4.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/20170420-C-Log/20170420-C-Log

No. They are going to offer a version of the 5DIV with the C-Log upgrade pre-installed, and the MSRP for that version will be $100 higher than the price of the standard version. The version without the C-Log upgrade will still be sold at the current price (and certainly at a much higher volume than the C-Log version).

That's sort of a good news. I went through internal battle and pull the trigger on 5d4... with broken teeth.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
At 26mp I'm in. I think its a given that the current 11 point AF will be bettered but its wishful thinking to assume it will have the same flash sync and highest shutter speed of the 5D MKIV. It will retain GPS and Wi-Fi and maybe also get NFC and with a flippy screen which will almost certainly be touch screen its a great second camera proposition to the 5D MIV or in my case the 5DS I already have.
I don't really care about video never used it and don't intend using it on either the 5DS or a 6D MKII Ive dedicated video cameras for that which do a better job.

If it stays relatively true to the original 6D then I don't think it will damage 5D MKIV sales the layout will almost certainly follow the basic principles of the current camera / 80D and the 5D MIV will retain a higher frame rate, weather sealing, metering system, AF point separation.

Pretty much every satisfied 6D owner would consider the 6D MKII and a whole bunch of 80D users wanting to go to FF.

The sting in the tail is this camera will almost certainly see a hefty increase over the present camera much like the 5D MKIV.

how com e u went for 5ds over 5d IV?

Upvote 0
Billybob said:
Dvash7 said:
ahsanford said:
26 MP
6 fps (previously rumored)
Tilty-flippy (and I think we all assume that will be a touchscreen)
DPAF

All it needs is a half-decent AF setup and a lot of folks will start asking themselves how badly they need 5D-level niceties like 100% VF coverage, 1/8000 shutter, dual slots, etc.

Because a Canon EF rig that it is 90% as good as the 5D4 that only costs 60% as much will sell well, but it may put a dent into 5D4 sales in the process.

- A

This is just guesswork on my part, but I recently sold my 7D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 just because of the 6D Mark II. I would never invest in a 5D rig, but I did want to go full-frame.
I'm wondering if the 'dent' in 5D series sales is outweighed by people like me who: a) invest a little more in a full-frame rig as opposed to staying on the more affordable APS-C spectrum; b) will now buy lenses that aren't EF-S and thus cost more.

The 5D and 6D markets are really different. There is some overlap of course, but there are a lot of us who are unwilling to purchase a $3k-plus camera body with just incremental improvements over its predecessors.

I sold my 5D III a bit over a year ago in anticipation of the 5D IV. It was more camera than I needed, and I wanted a bigger DR improvement. I've been living with the 80D (and my Nikon kit), and am highly unlikely to purchase a 5D-level camera from Canon again.

Thus, for me to stay with Canon, it's 6D II or Canon FF mirrorless for me or go home. I'd like to see the 6D II have improved DR over the 5D IV, but that's not a dealbreaker (worst DR than the 5D IV would be a dealbreaker!). Improved AF is important, and it would be great to see Canon finally release a DSLR without an AA filter! If the burst rate hits 6fps, I hope that it has at least a 3 sec buffer.

Other than that, I'm easy.

so u dont want the 5d IV because of price? im jumping from 70D to fullframe and cant decide whether 5d IV or 6d II

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
SecureGSM said:
actualy...speaking of metering system.

Canon 80D is equipped with "A new 7560-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor measures both visible light and invisible infra-red light for more accurate exposures". So does 5D Mark IV, so does 1DX, 1DX II, 7D Mark II.

I guess, no point for me to explain benefits of RGB metering system over the old one. I have very high hope for the new RGB mettering chip in 6D II..

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I have a 5D MK III but do not take advantage of 90% of the AF features, autoexposure is less than stellar most of the time, I need to adjust exposure in post processing. I doubt that there will be a improvement in the autoexposure, some day, we will see a major change, but in the 1 series first.

Ahh yes, the metering and auto WB does struggle in the 6D from time to time, especially under artificial lighting. I look forward to those improvements.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
CanonCrushed said:
It's about progress in 5 years and having an adequate number for consumers to remain competitive. No need for several question marks. I understood perfectly with the first one ;)

Let's say they announced that it was 24 MP, and I would have said 26 Mp. Would you still have asked me the same question? Canon will be introducing rebels and cropped bodies all over the place that will meet or exceed 26 MP in a year or two. They have way too many models as it is.

To be more specific, every MP counts when you count on crop factor. 2 MP isn't much, but after 5 years and only a small increase of 6 MP, well, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand they are not serious in being taken seriously. I simply stated my opinion and what I would have LIKED to see. I could have said 30 MP, but was being realistic.

I hope that answers your ???????. Cheers! :)

Ah, so you are one of those impressed by the spec sheet irrespective of how it actually performs. Perhaps we should tell Canon that they made a real pigs ear of the 1Dx2 because it is only 20MP, and tell all those sports and wildlife photographers they are using sub-par equipment.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
CanonCrushed said:
It's about progress in 5 years and having an adequate number for consumers to remain competitive. No need for several question marks. I understood perfectly with the first one.

Interesting..... So I am just imagining how much better my current camera is than its predecessor.... I hate to think that I wasted the money to upgrade.... oh well, at least I got a spare battery out of it.....

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
Re: Canon Ehttp://www.canonrumors.com/OS 6D Mark II to Get New 26mp Sensor [CR3]

• ahsanford said:
    [*]People not shooting Canon today: I don't generally back up K's posts here, but they make a fair point on bang-for-buck on bodies in this product segment. People outside Canon have to reeeeeeeally want Canon color or the EF portfolio to stomach the less feature-per-dollar value proposition of Canon rigs in this market space. Between the hordes of Sony FF options, the D750 and K-1, there are other fish in the sea to consider if you aren't married to EF.
ahsanford said:

This is exactly what I'm saying. New users who aren't going to buy flagship level bodies but want some pro glass and a FF body would be insane to go Canon. While EF lineup and Canon's color is very attractive, it isn't that much better.

Canon fanatics need to rent some Nikon gear to compare and wake up. Nikon is not trash. They might be the rival and the other team, but they are not bad. Besides, color is overrated. Nikon is very good on color and quite close. Close enough that anyone that serious about color perfection is shooting raw anyway and it matters not. JPG shooters, ok they got a point.

I take it a step further, to suggest Canon system users should mind too. Just because they are committed to a system and the manufacturer knows it, doesn't mean they should get shit on with a lower feature set...especially at the price point. It's not like they're saving anything. Canon is charging $2,000 for this thing.

But the entire spectrum of excuses and apologies comes out. All the camera industry economists come to lecture me. Here's some economics for them - Canon is the biggest. Builds the most cameras, sells the most. They have the advantage of economy-of-scale to offer up better specs at lower prices than Nikon.

Chew on that apologists and pseudo-economist excuse makers. (not you ahsanford).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon Ehttp://www.canonrumors.com/OS 6D Mark II to Get New 26mp Sensor [CR3]

K said:
But the entire spectrum of excuses and apologies comes out. All the camera industry economists come to lecture me. Here's some economics for them - Canon is the biggest. Builds the most cameras, sells the most. They have the advantage of economy-of-scale to offer up better specs at lower prices than Nikon.

Chew on that apologists and pseudo-economist excuse makers. (not you ahsanford).

Yet despite the 'lectures', you still fail to understand. Sad.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
CanonCrushed said:
It's about progress in 5 years and having an adequate number for consumers to remain competitive. No need for several question marks. I understood perfectly with the first one.

Interesting..... So I am just imagining how much better my current camera is than its predecessor.... I hate to think that I wasted the money to upgrade.... oh well, at least I got a spare battery out of it.....

No need for a sarcastic comment, I only offered my opinion and somewhat disappointment. It's a nice improvement, I am not arguing. I'm not the only smart consumer out there who feels similar I'm sure. Many 5d3 users were on the fence about the new 5d4 and upset about the upgrades etc. Many felt they weren't convinced it was enough to warrant an upgrade from the 5d3. It's OK to expect more and better from a manufacturer.

Enjoy your upgrade and be happy about it. If you can elaborate and add something substantial to the discussion and the limited rumors about these 6D upgrades please do. Otherwise troll someplace else.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

neuroanatomist said:
K said:

Incorrect. I understand perfectly, I simply do not accept BS excuses.

Nice post btw, fails to address the fact that Canon can leverage economy of scale and is in a better position to offer more than Nikon. The pseudo-economist Canon apologists are going to have to go back to the drawing board to figure out a response to that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

K said:
neuroanatomist said:
K said:

Incorrect. I understand perfectly, I simply do not accept BS excuses.

Nice post btw, fails to address the fact that Canon can leverage economy of scale and is in a better position to offer more than Nikon. The pseudo-economist Canon apologists are going to have to go back to the drawing board to figure out a response to that.

Lol. Sure, you understand perfectly. Perhaps you can use your 'perfect understanding' to explain why Canon, from their perspective, should do as you suggest.

Dazzle us all by showing how much more you know than Canon about selling cameras.

Upvote 0

Mikehit said:
CanonCrushed said:
It's about progress in 5 years and having an adequate number for consumers to remain competitive. No need for several question marks. I understood perfectly with the first one ;)

Let's say they announced that it was 24 MP, and I would have said 26 Mp. Would you still have asked me the same question? Canon will be introducing rebels and cropped bodies all over the place that will meet or exceed 26 MP in a year or two. They have way too many models as it is.

To be more specific, every MP counts when you count on crop factor. 2 MP isn't much, but after 5 years and only a small increase of 6 MP, well, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand they are not serious in being taken seriously. I simply stated my opinion and what I would have LIKED to see. I could have said 30 MP, but was being realistic.

I hope that answers your ???????. Cheers! :)

Ah, so you are one of those impressed by the spec sheet irrespective of how it actually performs. Perhaps we should tell Canon that they made a real pigs ear of the 1Dx2 because it is only 20MP, and tell all those sports and wildlife photographers they are using sub-par equipment.

Uhhhh, is that not what this forum is for? We are all here because we want to find out and discuss this camera's specs? I never said the 1dx is sub par. By your rationale I should be blowing my load over this new upgraded 6D and I should not question it or present any personal thoughts or disagreement with Canon. Sorry, but I don't drink Kool-Aid. I like Canon, but as a consumer I will speak up.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

neuroanatomist said:
Lol. Sure, you understand perfectly. Perhaps you can use your 'perfect understanding' to explain why Canon, from their perspective, should do as you suggest.

Dazzle us all by showing how much more you know than Canon about selling cameras.

You mean apart from 'they have enough profit margin to add it without increasing the cost of the camera. So I think they should cut profits to keep me happy'.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

CanonCrushed said:
...as a consumer I will speak up.

Which is exactly what you should do. But you should also recognize that, as an individual consumer, your voice is but one tiny, insignificant contribution to the market.

Upvote 0
CanonCrushed said:
I must say I am disappointed if it truly is only 26 MP for the 6D Mark 2. I was expecting 28 MP and no 4K. The reason I thought 28 MP was because of the regular 6D and the 5D3 being only about 2 MP difference. Now, that spread is a lot more. 5 years waiting on a mark 2 to come out at only 26 MP is not good at all, considering the technology and options out there.

Disappointed with "only" 26MP vs. your expectation of 28MP. You are kidding, right? :)

Upvote 0