Canon EOS 6D Mark II w/24-70mm f/4L IS Kits Delayed

Feb 28, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The issue is apparently related to the larger than expected number of people ordering kits. Lenses are manufactured in batches according to the forcast for demand. In order to produce more on short notice, more parts have to be manufactured pushing other production aside, it becomes a snowballing mess. That, of course means higher internal costs for Canon.

One of the reasons that Canon is profitable is because they are generally good at forecasting demand, but its a difficult process when it comes to quantities of various kits, and they definitely guessed wrong. Also implied is that they may have a surplus of kits with the 24-105L? Maybe demand for all versions is exceeding forcasts. In the past, dealers broke extra kits into body and lens, and sold them at a discount separately, pocketing additional profit as well. With Canon's MAP policy, they are effectively prevented from doing this.
That maybe a true statement in the US but not in Europe where that would be illegal.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
WillT said:
So these don't appear to be flying off the shelf unless I do not understand Amazons sales rank
Amazon sales rank doesn't take into account how many units are manufactured or what percentage of how many manufactured were sold by Amazon. It only takes into account how many are sold on Amazon.
Imagine: Manufacturer makes 1000 units of model A, distributes 500 through Amazon who sells 350 of them. Then model B has 500 made of which 300 distribute through Amazon who has sold 275 of them. Model A is sales ranked higher than B but B is closer to sold out of the manufacturing run than A.
All the different items in your comparison have different amounts of number made and how many of those are distributed through Amazon.
The short explanation is that sales rank is at best a very, very vague guideline to popularity, not definitely not a guide to rarity.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
When I bought the 6D in Canada a few months after it went on the shelves the 24-70 had just been made available and I went for it (somewhat influence by the pseudo macro) and I haven't been disappointed.

How fondly I recall how that lens was dumped on in CR threads and elsewhere just like almost every Canon product, but in fairness it was overpriced. Oh my, it was so soft at 50. Well, I seldom use it at 50. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
testthewest said:
Furthermore, if "popular" meant "good", then S___ must taste great - millions of flies can't be wrong.

It's funny how that never seems to apply to anecdotal reports of Sony, Nikon, or mirrorless in general being popular. No, the masses are only wrong when the data points to them buying Canon. The masses are intelligent, tasteful, and attractive when they buy Sony. Or they would be, if the masses ever actually did that.

It applies whenever somebody says "product A is great or better because it sells better". If that would be used for Sony, it would apply for Sony.
In my opinion it doesn't matter if the product "flies of the shelves" (might also be the shelves collapsing under the weight of the unsold product, come to think of it). The discussion should instead be about the qualities of the product. Example: "Canon is great because their sharp, relatively cheap lenses. The Canon 6Dii allows you to use them natively!" That's something I can get behind. Not: "Canon is great because it sold some cameras!"

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
testthewest said:
It applies whenever somebody says "product A is great or better because it sells better". If that would be used for Sony, it would apply for Sony.
In my opinion it doesn't matter if the product "flies of the shelves" (might also be the shelves collapsing under the weight of the unsold product, come to think of it). The discussion should instead be about the qualities of the product. Example: "Canon is great because their sharp, relatively cheap lenses. The Canon 6Dii allows you to use them natively!" That's something I can get behind. Not: "Canon is great because it sold some cameras!"

But you can't deny, that if one manufacturer is selling the most of its cameras, there has to be something to it, right? The question is not, whether A or B sells the most. The real question lies - why A outsells B...

Upvote 0
testthewest said:
LonelyBoy said:
testthewest said:
Furthermore, if "popular" meant "good", then S___ must taste great - millions of flies can't be wrong.

It's funny how that never seems to apply to anecdotal reports of Sony, Nikon, or mirrorless in general being popular. No, the masses are only wrong when the data points to them buying Canon. The masses are intelligent, tasteful, and attractive when they buy Sony. Or they would be, if the masses ever actually did that.

I can get behind what you're saying. However, there is a certain contingent here that repeatedly shares anecdotal tales of Canon shooters switching to Sony or Nikon as if that's proof of Canon being inferior, then trots out Big Mac and Justin Bieber analogies when people point out that the aggregate sales data points the other way. That is what I was addressing.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LonelyBoy said:
testthewest said:
LonelyBoy said:
testthewest said:

I can get behind what you're saying. However, there is a certain contingent here that repeatedly shares anecdotal tales of Canon shooters switching to Sony or Nikon as if that's proof of Canon being inferior, then trots out Big Mac and Justin Bieber analogies when people point out that the aggregate sales data points the other way. That is what I was addressing.
But what camera does Justin Beiber use to take a picture of his Big Mac, and does this mean that Burger King is doomed?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon, way back with the AE-1 cemented their camera design pholosophy, and it was so successful that they have kept to it.

Basically, they concentrate on value. They design and redesign a camera, pricing and justifying each decision and always looking for better and cheaper overall design, construction, and maintainability solutions. They balance things out, so each is optimized for value.

This means that the product will likely not incorporate the latest and most expensive technology unless it actually contributes to the value proposition. Is a UHS II card reader / writer necessary if UHS I does all thats needed. Is 4K worth the additional cost based on the target market? Are dual card slots necessary if the target buyer only owns one card? Every decision is scrutinized with the goal of getting the cost down and producing something reliable, easy to build and repair, and has a maximized profit.

There are always tradeoffs like these no matter who the manufacturer is, but Canon seems to be a extreme example. The result is that the product is well balanced, has good performance for the price, is reliable, and repairs are faster and cost less. And, important to Canon, they make a fat margin of profit. Canon and other manufacturers all know that Canon can undercut your price, so they don't try to beat Canon on price.

With several decent manufacturers producing some very interesting designs, there are cameras with the features you want most. There is no camera that has everything you want, I don't think its possible because we all value different things. So pick what works for you.

Remember Beta Tapes versus VHS? From a high tech point of view, Beta produced a better recording. But, the recording time was initially one hour, not long enough to record a typical 1.5 or 2 hour movie, and VHS was two hours. By the time Beta was extended to 2 hours, VHS was at 6 hours, and VHS had won. The very best tech quality was not valued as much as recording time by the general public, and VHS recorders cost less. (BTW, my first VCR was a Sony betamax, I still have two or three.)

That same general lesson still applies, know your market and what most customers want. Low price is number one as long as the product is good enough, is reliable, and service is good, but there can be one item, like recording time that trumps it all.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Canon, way back with the AE-1 cemented their camera design pholosophy, and it was so successful that they have kept to it.

*snip*

I once called Canon "conservative" here for much the same reasons and was soundly disagreed with. I agree with you though - they won't be the first to include USB3 (or -C), or a new card type, or most other features. What they do include will generally work, work well, and be useful. If you'd rather have a million new features on every release, go elsewhere, because Canon won't satisfy you and is unlikely to start.

Upvote 0