Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0.5 Now Available

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I updated to 2.0.3 when it became available. I didn't notice any change, this time I'm going to wait for a while. I thought about getting wifi to control my 7D with an iPad. That would be a reason to buy a Wifi Transmitter and an iPad for myself if I could control the 7D using an iPad if Canon had a program that would work and allow me to do this.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
DFM said:
Warning - The 2.0.5 firmware update is NOT compatible with Magic Lantern. It won't boot from a ML-enabled card at all. You can downgrade back to 2.0.3 easily enough, but if you're a ML user don't go near this patch.

oO ... so much for the "tinfoil hats" ... :p

first user reports re. this problem:
ML-Forum: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.2125
http://www.traumflieger.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52218&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= [german]

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
..If there was a sale on tinfoil hats, then more people would be protected from the "mind control rays", and without the message to stay calm and docile the level of paranoia would rise. :)

I installed the update without wearing my tinfoil hat and everything is better now. But I must buy more Canon gear. We must all buy more Canon gear.

;D

But seriously, as a bruised & battered software industry veteran I live by one simple rule:

> When an update comes out, always let someone else test it out first <

Upvote 0
I wonder if the 3rd party issues are intentional or if they are a side effect of the coding.

Some 3rd party issues, like battery compatibility, are intentional.

Others, like the reported ML incompatibility, or lens issues, may not be quite as intentional.

In either event, users purchased the main hardware from Canon.

If Canon is intentionally seeking out ways to create havoc with 3rd party accessories, they must realize that in some instances, it will reduce sales.

I'm sure there are thousands of 7D users that bought the hardware (or, continue to use the hardware) just because it runs Magic Lantern.

Some 3rd party lenses are better than OEM. "Better" can have many meanings. In any event, choice is good. If there are issues with 3rd party lenses with this update, this will make or break promises of service when the stuff doesn't work.

Losing all those battery sales must be a sore point, but maybe there is some validity to saying that the OEM's are priced too high. Someone will always make knockoffs, but maybe if the price was lower for OEM, they would sell more...

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
greger said:
this time I'm going to wait for a while. I thought about getting wifi to control my 7D with an iPad. That would be a reason to buy a Wifi Transmitter and an iPad for myself if I could control the 7D using an iPad if Canon had a program that would work and allow me to do this.

I'm one of those "crazy" people that did buy the WFT for the 7D. To be honnest, I even don't use it anymore. Adding the WFT, then I need a wireless Antenna to create a seperate network so that my Ipad can make contact with this WFT. To much gear, need 230V,... not that practical.

In mean time I bought a camranger. Marvellous tool. Just connect with a usb cable to the 7D or my 5D3, my Ipad sees the camranger and connects to this network, and I can fully control my camera from my Ipad, and what a possibility you get then to focus in liveview (10x magnified), great stuff. Very satisfied from this product.

Same camranger can work on both Canon and Nikon camera, so fully interchangable.

François

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
FEBS said:
greger said:
this time I'm going to wait for a while. I thought about getting wifi to control my 7D with an iPad. That would be a reason to buy a Wifi Transmitter and an iPad for myself if I could control the 7D using an iPad if Canon had a program that would work and allow me to do this.

I'm one of those "crazy" people that did buy the WFT for the 7D. To be honnest, I even don't use it anymore. Adding the WFT, then I need a wireless Antenna to create a seperate network so that my Ipad can make contact with this WFT. To much gear, need 230V,... not that practical.

In mean time I bought a camranger. Marvellous tool. Just connect with a usb cable to the 7D or my 5D3, my Ipad sees the camranger and connects to this network, and I can fully control my camera from my Ipad, and what a possibility you get then to focus in liveview (10x magnified), great stuff. Very satisfied from this product.

Same camranger can work on both Canon and Nikon camera, so fully interchangable.

François
+ 1 for CamerRanger ... it is a very useful little tool. The WTF of Canon is down right ugly, cumbersome and bloody expensive ... if they are going to charge so much for that device, they could have at least molded to fit the body nicely ... they should have named it WTF ... it is probably the only Canon hardware I do not like.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks FEBS and Reinzphotosfor info about CamRanger. I found info and a price on the web. I will do some more research before I buy. Thank you to DFM about the firmware update messing with Magic Lantern.
Seems like a bad idea for Canon to muck up such a popular program that helps Canon Cameras for free.
"Don't be the first to install an update! Let someone else be the beta tester!" :)

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
unfocused said:
Wow. The level of paranoia here is incredible. Was there a sale on tinfoil hats somewhere?

Your logic is correct.... If there was a sale on tinfoil hats, then more people would be protected from the "mind control rays", and without the message to stay calm and docile the level of paranoia would rise. :)

(This is why I live in a house with a steel roof, aluminum siding, and wire screens on the windows)

False Flag! False Flag!

Everyone knows that the tinfoil only AMPLIFIES the orbital mind control lasers . . .

;D

The only place you are truly safe are big-box stores, which are purposely designed so you can't get a cell (or any other kind of) signal in or out of to contact your spouse and buy the right thing the first time.

Upvote 0