Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0.5 Now Available

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/canon-eos-7d-firmware-2-05-available/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/canon-eos-7d-firmware-2-05-available/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Firmware Version 2.0.5 incorporates the following fix:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Fixes a phenomenon in which the image files cannot be transferred using the FTP protocol via USB cable after the Canon EOS 7D camera has established a wireless connection to the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5A.</li>
</ul>
<p>Firmware Version 2.0.5 is for cameras with firmware version 2.0.3. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 2.0.5, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to version 2.0.5, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version.</p>
<p>Download Firmware Version 2.0.5 for the EOS 7D;

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware" target="_blank">http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware</a></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Nov 4, 2011
I 'll wait and see first.
  • If it really only fixes the bug listed in the descirpotion, I don't really need it.
  • If there are hidden changes, I would like to learn about them.
  • If there are hidden changes that cause compatibility issues with third-party gear I will skip it. See Nikon D5300 and DF issues with Sigma lenses and third-party batteries following Nikon FW-Updates. Those impacts were also not documented. I know, that is Nikon and here we talk Canon ... but still!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
  • AvTvM said:
    • If it really only fixes the bug listed in the descirpotion, I don't really need it.
    If there are hidden changes, I would like to learn about them.
    [*]If there are hidden changes that cause compatibility issues with third-party gear I will skip it. See Nikon D5300 and DF issues with Sigma lenses and third-party batteries following Nikon FW-Updates. Those impacts were also not documented. I know, that is Nikon and here we talk Canon ... but still!

I had read about the battery problem with Nikon D5300 camera after the last update..... I think that the messing around with compatability is the reason why Sigma has come out with thier docking station for updating lens firmware.... Personally, I would not buy an expensive third party lens without something similar.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
DanielW said:
For a moment I thought I'd read "Canon 7Dm2 now available"... :(
Me too ... it had me all excited for a second.
On a different note, here is my theory on some of these updates by the big boys (Canon / Nikon): in my limited experience, sometimes when I updated these kind of "not so significant updates", my Canon and Nikon cameras would suddenly start having trouble with third party lenses and accessories e.g. the usually fine working Sigma or Tamron lens suddenly back/front focuses, or it makes some odd clicking noise when the OS/VC engages etc or accessories such as third party batteries are suddenly not recognized in the camera. So, sometimes I wonder if these are deliberate attempts by the big boys or just an unavoidable technical glitch. Unless one is actually affected by a problem with the WFT-E5A, for those with third party lenses or accessories, it might be worth while to wait and watch.

Upvote 0
Firmware Version 2.0.5 is for cameras with firmware version 2.0.3. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 2.0.5, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to version 2.0.5, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version.

Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Upvote 0
Skywise said:
Firmware Version 2.0.5 is for cameras with firmware version 2.0.3. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 2.0.5, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to version 2.0.5, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version.

Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

er sure it was funny at the time hehe ;)

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
AvTvM said:
  • If there are hidden changes that cause compatibility issues with third-party gear I will skip it. See Nikon D5300 and DF issues with Sigma lenses and third-party batteries following Nikon FW-Updates. Those impacts were also not documented. I know, that is Nikon and here we talk Canon ... but still!

Exactly what i was goign to post.

So now we have to be wary of all canon updates...that just stinks.

The opteka batteries for the Eos M are SOOOOO much better than the canon brands that its just sad. Usability would drop significantly if they implemented a block.

Upvote 0
Skywise said:

You realize those kind of shenanigans get threads locked?

Run away! Run away!

;D

Don Haines said:
I had read about the battery problem with Nikon D5300 camera after the last update..... I think that the messing around with compatability is the reason why Sigma has come out with thier docking station for updating lens firmware.... Personally, I would not buy an expensive third party lens without something similar.

That 6 year warranty from Tamron is pretty reassuring.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wow. The level of paranoia here is incredible. Was there a sale on tinfoil hats somewhere?

I do agree, however, that I'm not particularly interested in this update. But, I can also see why Canon did it if it affects its wireless file transmitter.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
mustafa said:
I didn't notice 2.0.4 ???

Me neither.

AvTvM said:

+1 Seems a little unusual. I'm not touching this unless it gets rave reviews.

Skywise said:

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
unfocused said:
Wow. The level of paranoia here is incredible. Was there a sale on tinfoil hats somewhere?

I do agree, however, that I'm not particularly interested in this update. But, I can also see why Canon did it if it affects its wireless file transmitter.

Of which they sold what ... 100 or 200? I know many 7d shooters myself, but not one who bought this cludgy wft brick. Must be a really tiny percentage of 7d users who might need this bugfix. Really makes one wonder if undocumented changes are also included in this fw update.

But feel free to test it, i'll be happy to get feedback. ;-)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:

Your logic is correct.... If there was a sale on tinfoil hats, then more people would be protected from the "mind control rays", and without the message to stay calm and docile the level of paranoia would rise. :)

(This is why I live in a house with a steel roof, aluminum siding, and wire screens on the windows)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Don Haines said:
unfocused said:

Your logic is correct.... If there was a sale on tinfoil hats, then more people would be protected from the "mind control rays", and without the message to stay calm and docile the level of paranoia would rise. :)

(This is why I live in a house with a steel roof, aluminum siding, and wire screens on the windows)
I must be having a different dicitionary, coz I didn't know that a handful of members posting their opinion is now defined as "incredible" "Paranoia" ... or perhaps exaggergation is the order of the day :p

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I agree with a few of the people on here. I don't use the wireless feature so I am not sure if I really need this update. I am currently using 2.03 and my camera is working perfectly.

I'll wait and see if any other "fixes" are supported by this update before I download it to my camera, especially seeing as how you CANNOT go back to an older firmware set. I don't like being forced to keep anything...

D

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
after reading about previous firmware updates making 3rd party gear unusable for other manufacturers(and I believe even Canon themselves(wasn't there a 3rd party battery issue a few months back?),) i would not blame anyone for thinking that this tiny, non reversible upgrade to the firmware was solely to fix this rather insignificant problem that I have never heard anyone mention.
I would be very very suspicious of this firmware and I would certainly not implement it if I had a 7D.

but that's just me.

Upvote 0