Canon EOS 7D Mark II in 2014 [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
jrista said:
pedro said:
dilbert said:

About the only thing that I could see them adding "late" would be "more high ISO" that is really noisy.

As I am not involved in software programming, how does that work, if a camera manufacturer sees the necestiy to crank up the ISO? Sorry for my ignorance in so many tech related things...

I am not sure that is just purely a software thing. There is firmware involved, but that firmware is really instructing the hardware to do something, and if the hardware is incapable, then I don't think just a firmware update will do it. When it comes to ISO, the firmware is really instructing the hardware to use a different gain. I don't really know enough about electronics at that scale to know definitively if the hardware explicitly needs to support a specific analog gain, but I am willing to bet that it is more complicated than a "simple" firmware update to, say, add a native ISO 25600 to a camera that previously only supported ISO 12800. I bet the hardware needs to support it first.

I am not sure if a digital sensor would be the same. Exmor, which does pretty much everything except the initial pixel read digitally (bits, rather than charge)...so it might be easier to simply add a higher ISO setting with Exmor via just a firmware update than it would be for any other sensor.

I may be wrong (please correct me if I am), but I had the understanding that the "native" ISO involved boosting the analog gain, where as the "expanded" ISO increased the gain after the analog to digital conversion. If this is correct, then it would not be unreasonable to suggest that another stop or two (or even more depending on how much DR you're willing to sacrifice--it's just a multiplication factor) of expanded ISO capability could be added via a "simple" firmware update. Expanding the native ISO is an entirely different matter which would require lots of testing and tweaking since it is done more at the hardware level.

Upvote 0
Blaze said:
Expanding the native ISO is an entirely different matter which would require lots of testing and tweaking since it is done more at the hardware level.

Afaik you're correct, though I know this specific term as "analog" iso ... there are 3 different things:
* base/"native" iso: sensor readout w/o any analog or digital gain (not necessarily lowest settable iso/100)
* analog iso steps: don on sensor, on canon crop 100/200/400/800/1600/3200
* digital iso steps: additional digital gain on digic for intermediary steps and 6400 and above (on crop)

For 200-1600 lower intermediary values are reduced (i.e. iso 1000 has a base of 1600) and 6400 and above are pushed from 3200, that's why for raw you're better off @3200 and push it in postprocessing yourself.

So my guess is that Canon could add iso25600 on crop by fw, they just wouldn't dare because it would look even more crappy than h1/12800 and as written above it's only good for jpeg or video.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/ISO

Upvote 0
JohanCruyff said:
candyman said:
I'm curious about the 2 "pro" bodies - one of will be the high megapixel camera but the other will be?.....

Maybe two high megapixel? 5D3big (3D?) and 1DXbig?
Or will the APS-H surprise us and come back to a new life?

The 5DIII was the 1DX were co-developed together. The 5DIII really is a 1Dx lite. Both cameras benefitted from the co-developement. I suspect that something simular will occurr with the big chip cameras. A 1D series with a large super-sized sensor and pro spec, and a 5D sized camera with a simular sensor and features but less fps and a more semi - pro orientated build / features.

I don't think we'll ever see another APS-H sensor again.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
schill said:
kaihp said:
Don Haines said:
My point about hard drive capacity and price is that storage capacities have skyrocketed and prices have plummeted. Cost of storage is so low now that it is almost free.

Drives are very cheap. Doing backup of the drives continues to be a stone in the shoe, though ;)

That's what more drives are for. :)

You're missing the point.

I guess I did. I thought you were talking about the need to back up all of the data that we are accumulating on these high capacity drives that we keep installing. Was it something else?

My point was that one way to back up your drives is onto other drives. All of my photos are routinely backed up this way - onto bare drives that are not kept connected to the computer/network.

Anyway, this really doesn't have anything to do with the new 7D specifically.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
schill said:
kaihp said:
Don Haines said:
My point about hard drive capacity and price is that storage capacities have skyrocketed and prices have plummeted. Cost of storage is so low now that it is almost free.

Drives are very cheap. Doing backup of the drives continues to be a stone in the shoe, though ;)

That is why raid 1 was invented, two identical drives that automatically backs itself up to the other. Sure, there is always the risk that your house catches fire and the drives are destroyed but then it's quite hard to get round that.

Upvote 0
Blaze said:
jrista said:
pedro said:
dilbert said:

About the only thing that I could see them adding "late" would be "more high ISO" that is really noisy.

As I am not involved in software programming, how does that work, if a camera manufacturer sees the necestiy to crank up the ISO? Sorry for my ignorance in so many tech related things...

I am not sure that is just purely a software thing. There is firmware involved, but that firmware is really instructing the hardware to do something, and if the hardware is incapable, then I don't think just a firmware update will do it. When it comes to ISO, the firmware is really instructing the hardware to use a different gain. I don't really know enough about electronics at that scale to know definitively if the hardware explicitly needs to support a specific analog gain, but I am willing to bet that it is more complicated than a "simple" firmware update to, say, add a native ISO 25600 to a camera that previously only supported ISO 12800. I bet the hardware needs to support it first.

I am not sure if a digital sensor would be the same. Exmor, which does pretty much everything except the initial pixel read digitally (bits, rather than charge)...so it might be easier to simply add a higher ISO setting with Exmor via just a firmware update than it would be for any other sensor.

I may be wrong (please correct me if I am), but I had the understanding that the "native" ISO involved boosting the analog gain, where as the "expanded" ISO increased the gain after the analog to digital conversion. If this is correct, then it would not be unreasonable to suggest that another stop or two (or even more depending on how much DR you're willing to sacrifice--it's just a multiplication factor) of expanded ISO capability could be added via a "simple" firmware update. Expanding the native ISO is an entirely different matter which would require lots of testing and tweaking since it is done more at the hardware level.

Well, sure...expanded ISO could be changed with firmware. I personally don't consider expanded ISO to be a factor, as it is no different than shooting at the highest native ISO and boosting in post anyway. It's a digital push...anyone can do that at any time, and achieve as many "additional ISO levels" that they want. All you have to to is underexpose (use a faster shutter, which is the whole point)...by one, two...N stops. Your mileage may vary, depending on how meticulous and careful you are with your processing in post...and in many cases, such a post-process push can produce better results than in-camera expanded ISO.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
jrista said:
privatebydesign said:
jrista said:
privatebydesign said:
viggen61 said:
thepancakeman said:
Sabaki said:
I got a question please guys.

Most photographers I know don't put much stock into the number of megapixels, often citing printing size as the sole benefit.

Is this true? Is there really nothing else to megapixels other than printing size?

The ability to crop is (or can be) a biggie. When I am shooting fast moving sports I often give myself a little extra margin in camera knowing that I can crop it later.

Indeed! And with wildlife, small birds, particularly, cropping gets the shot if you don't have a long enough lens.

This is often said, but rarely backup with proof, mainly because it isn't actually true.

Here is a same generation crop sensor at 100% and a cropped ff sensor upscaled to the same pixel number. Whilst there is a fraction more detail in the 7D image this was a bench test under ideal conditions; using AF, hand holding, higher iso etc, would all level the field. The 7D crop has over twice the pixels the 1Ds MkIII crop has!

Is there a good reason to own a crop camera? Sure, it might have better AF, it is easier to frame as the subject is magnified more in the viewfinder, the image you see is closer to the image you will get etc etc, but there is a mere fraction of difference in actual image resolution and even that small difference isn't realisable in real world shooting.

This argument is flawed on two fronts. First, the same things you claim detract from any benefit the 7D has also apply to the 1D IV. Camera shake, for example can diminish IQ well below the potential for either camera.

Second, and more important...final image resolution is the result a blend of each factor that detracts from initial resolution. Since final image resolution is a convolution of camera shake, AF missfocus, lens aberrations and diffraction AND sensor resolution...the 7D would still come out on top even WITH all of those things affecting IQ. Assuming the same amount of camera shake, AF missfocus, and lens resolution...the only difference between the two then is sensor resolution...and the 7D wins.

First, I am not presenting an argument, I am presenting empirical results of a test.

You were, intentionally or not. When you claimed that the previous statements were untrue, you started a debate, and proceeded to present your "argument" for your opinion...

privatebydesign said:
Second, I used a FF 1Ds MkIII not an APS-H 1D MkIV.

Ok, not that it really matters to the point being debated any. The point of yours that I am arguing against is the notion that all or nearly all of the benefit of the 7D's higher resolution as offered by higher pixel density is mitigated by "real world factors". And I quote:

privatebydesign said:
but there is a mere fraction of difference in actual image resolution and even that small difference isn't realisable in real world shooting.

This is the specific point of yours that I am debating. I think you are FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG...there ABSOLUTELY IS a difference that CAN be FULLY REALIZED in the real world. It would take some very significant camera shake or a severely missfocussed lens to diminish the resolution benefit the 7D has over the 1D III. Someone with particularly unsteady hands and a non-IS lens is probably at a much higher risk of "not being able to realize the 7D's resolution edge", but in general I think the edge is entirely realizable. I realize it every day, in both tripod-based and hand-held photography. It is the reason the 7D has been my body of choice for the last couple of years, and why I am holding out against buying a 5D III until the 7D II has been released and its upgrades evaluated.

I'll HAPPILY take an even HIGHER resolution sensor than the 7D has...because I know first hand that the extra resolution can be utilized even in a hand held scenario (or a missfocus scenario...a problem with the 7D that I believe is far more severe than its supposedly overdone sensor resolution).

privatebydesign said:
Third, I agree the 7D "wins", though I don't agree with the oversimplified knee jerk rhetoric.

First..."knee jerk"?? LOL...not sure where that came from
Second..."rhetoric"?? I know I can be wordy...I often use a lot of words just to be clear in getting my point across. Ironic, as I though my last reply to you was rather concise and clear, and explicit in its form as a STATEMENT, not a question...rhetorical or otherwise. (Unless, I guess, you think the use of the word "convolution" is rhetoric...)

privatebydesign said:
I even pointed out in my initial post that the 7D does have more resolution, just nowhere near as much as anybody would guess or expect, most people are pretty emphatic that the far denser sensor of the 7D would trounce the less than half the pixel numbers of the FF, but it just is not so. The 18MP of the 7D equate well to the 36MP of the D800, we all know, as a system, the 5D MkIII at 24MP and the 24-70 f2.8 MkII resolves more, as bench tested, than the D800 and Nikon 24-70 f2.8, 18MP to 15MP.

I'd be careful not to conflate spatial resolution with pixels on subject. Assuming one could frame identically, the simple fact of the matter is that the 5D II, 5D III, D800, or any other full-frame sensor with more than 18mp will produce a more detailed result. But I think that notion is counter to the prior discussion about why one would want an 18mp APS-C (not FF) sensor: crop factor. Identically framed, hands down, the full frame sensor with more pixels is going to produce a better result...not only because it puts more pixels on the subject, but because it puts more BETTER pixels on the subject.

Your very own argument, which equated a cropped 1D III to a 7D, implicitly assumes a focal-length limited scenario where one literally cannot frame the same. That falls in line with the prior discussion, and I have no question that if actual samples of photos taken hand-held with the 7D and 1D III in a variety of scenarios at ISO settings up to 1600...the 7D would trounce the 1D III. No contest. I might even buy a 5D III just to prove the point! ::)

privatebydesign said:
I know and understand image resolution is a result of system resolution, I just pointed out, with images, the system resolution of an 18MP crop camera is not very much different from a crop from a 21MP FF camera. Again, that is not an argument, it is an empirical observation.

If you are claiming an "empirical" observation, sample data would be a necessity to back up your claim.

I can make the same argument, that I have made empirical observations that the 7D produces very different results (and superior, in terms of resolution usefully resolved) than something like the 5D II. As a matter of fact, a well respected scientist did just that very comparison (7D, 1D IV, 5D II), and his results are pretty definitively in favor of the 7D:

http://clarkvision.com/articles/pixel.size.and.iso/index.html

In the context of this discussion, I think the following statement from that article is key:

The sensor sizes are irrelevant in these examples. All three cameras could well have been full frame sensors. It is purely a test of pixel size and the trade of detail versus noise.

Additionally, the results of the test, as evaluated by Roger Clark:

Here is my assessment:

In all the images, the 5DII images fail to show the subtle color differences that the 7D and 1D4 show. The color in the 1D4 and 7D are very close (until noise hides it).

ISO 100: 7D noise is small and detail is well above other images. 7D=top, 2nd=1D4

ISO 800: 7D noise is showing, but the detail is still well above the other cameras. 7D=top, 2nd=1D4

ISO1600: 7D noise is becoming prominent, but image detail is still very good. 7D=top, 2nd=1D4, but the difference is narrowing.

ISO3200: 7D noise is becoming objectionable and color is getting lost, in particular in Mare Serenatatis (the large circular dark area in the upper center). top=1D4, 2nd 7D. A good down sampling algorithm (like 2x2 pixel average) could improve the the image.

ISO6400: Noise is too apparent in 7D, and 5DII (which is slightly older technology than the 7D or 1D4). Top=1D4, 2nd=5DII. In my numerous sensor evaluations, I consistently see the 1D series sensors have fewer hot/bad pixels and the images here show that too: the 7D and 5DII images have a lot of "spiky" noise not seen in the 1D4 image.

The visual examples, which I cannot post here, CLEARLY demonstrate the benefit of having a sensor with denser pixels. The 7D images, while at times noisier than the 1D IV, have a more than measurable increase in overall detail...a very meaningful difference between the two cameras.

You might be well advised to go back and actually read my first post, it contains the images you ask for, the one on the left is a FF image (FROM A 1DS MkIII !) with an overlayed full image from a 7D, the red rectangle. They were shot from the same place with the same lens, a 300 mm f2.8 IS @ f5.6. This is a 100% demonstration of a focal length limited situation.

Now as I have repeatedly said, the 7D does have a fraction more resolution but it is not in the order most expect it to be. I did do further real world testing, though unfortunately don't have those images with me and they are not bench tested direct comparisons anyway (so would only lead to all sorts of not fair comparison claims), but after using both cameras side by side I concluded that the 7D gave me no more realisable resolution, I was surprised, but rather than throw down $1,500 because everybody said it would, I got a loaner and tested it for myself.

Other tests, by other people for their uses might show different results, I was surprised by my results but entirely happy they were accurate and got a second 1Ds MkIII. Again, there are many good reasons to own/buy a 7D/crop camera, but thinking you are getting a "free" TC is not the most sensible, or accurate, one.

To me, it seems to be a noticable amount more resolution than my old Rebel XSI. I assume 24MP instead of 18 would bring a rather similarly noticable help.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhotos official prediction for 7D2.

- 61 Point AF
- 24 MP APS-C
- 10 FPS

Pack those 3 key features in, and canon stole the semi-pro sports market again.

What...no 135/1.8L IS to go with it?!?

Preposterous! Such a lens is for the gods only! (Or if you shoot sony :p)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jrista said:
Blaze said:
jrista said:
pedro said:
dilbert said:

Well, sure...expanded ISO could be changed with firmware. I personally don't consider expanded ISO to be a factor, as it is no different than shooting at the highest native ISO and boosting in post anyway. It's a digital push...anyone can do that at any time, and achieve as many "additional ISO levels" that they want. All you have to to is underexpose (use a faster shutter, which is the whole point)...by one, two...N stops. Your mileage may vary, depending on how meticulous and careful you are with your processing in post...and in many cases, such a post-process push can produce better results than in-camera expanded ISO.

good point. gotta try this with the 5D3. 25.6k underexposed by one stop: 51k. By 2 stops: 102k. great idea, all the way.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:

- 61 Point AF
- 24 MP APS-C
- 10 FPS

Agreed. I really hope it happens!

Nah. They won't put a 24mp sensor in the 7DII.
This is a sports body, remember.
Sports bodies favor ISO/noise over megapixels.

Here are my predictions:
  • 18mp, 1.5x crop factor
  • new AF system - but not the 1DX/5DIII AF system
  • 9fps

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:

- 61 Point AF
- 24 MP APS-C
- 10 FPS

Here are my predictions:
  • 18mp, 1.5x crop factor
  • 9fps

No, it will be 1.6, 9FPS is pretty realistic, but I am certain it will the the 5D III AF...

Upvote 0
AprilForever said:
x-vision said:
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:

- 61 Point AF
- 24 MP APS-C
- 10 FPS

Here are my predictions:
  • 18mp, 1.5x crop factor
  • 9fps

No, it will be 1.6, 9FPS is pretty realistic, but I am certain it will the the 5D III AF...

It is certainly not going to have the 5D3 AF. You can't just stick a FF AF system on APS-C.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:

Depends on what people it should appeal to - and more metapixies has consumer appeal, smartphone nowadays have 41mp cameras :-> ... and the 7d1 sells not only for sports/wildlife photogs, but also to the general shooter who wants the "best" crop body.

Blaze said:
It is certainly not going to have the 5D3 AF. You can't just stick a FF AF system on APS-C.

Probably not the exact module, but everything else sounds a bit like an urban legend - Nikon put the ff d4 af into the d7100, surely Canon can modify the 5d3/1dx array w/o a complete redesign to go into a crop body? The real question if is Canon would want to do as aggressive tech trickle down as Nikon...

Upvote 0
Blaze said:
AprilForever said:
x-vision said:
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:

- 61 Point AF
- 24 MP APS-C
- 10 FPS

Here are my predictions:
  • 18mp, 1.5x crop factor
  • 9fps

You might not be able to put a FF AF UNIT in an APS-C camera...but you could reuse the FF AF sensor in an AF unit designed for APS-C. The AF unit houses the sensor, as well as a special lens that handles splitting light for each AF point and directing it to the appropriate AF strips. No reason that lens couldn't be redesigned for an APS-C frame (and, for APS-C frame with very wide point spread, since vignetting wouldn't be as much of an issue as on the FF).

So sure...I believe the 61pt AF system could find its way to the 7D II.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
x-vision said:

Depends on what people it should appeal to - and more metapixies has consumer appeal

Yes, megapickles appeal to consumers.

The question is, is the 7DII supposed to be a consumer camera?

If yes, why should Canon put their 61-point pro AF system in a consumer camera - as many are asking here.
And if not, why should Canon appeal to consumers with a (noisy) 24mp sensor.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Blaze said:
AprilForever said:
x-vision said:
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:

- 61 Point AF
- 24 MP APS-C
- 10 FPS

Here are my predictions:
  • 18mp, 1.5x crop factor
  • 9fps

You might not be able to put a FF AF UNIT in an APS-C camera...but you could reuse the FF AF sensor in an AF unit designed for APS-C. The AF unit houses the sensor, as well as a special lens that handles splitting light for each AF point and directing it to the appropriate AF strips. No reason that lens couldn't be redesigned for an APS-C frame (and, for APS-C frame with very wide point spread, since vignetting wouldn't be as much of an issue as on the FF).

So sure...I believe the 61pt AF system could find its way to the 7D II.

THey'll get it in there, or something along those lines... I think they fear the D400...

x-vision said:
Marsu42 said:
x-vision said:

Depends on what people it should appeal to - and more metapixies has consumer appeal

Yes, megapickles appeal to consumers.

The question is, is the 7DII supposed to be a consumer camera?

If yes, why should Canon put their 61-point pro AF system in a consumer camera - as many are asking here.
And if not, why should Canon appeal to consumers with a (noisy) 24mp sensor.

The more the better!!!

Upvote 0
Hannes said:
kaihp said:
schill said:
kaihp said:

That is why raid 1 was invented, two identical drives that automatically backs itself up to the other.

OK, two misconceptions here:

First, RAID-1 is not "two identical drives that automatically backs itself up to the other". RAID-1 is writing data identically to two drives all the time, producing a "mirrored set" (when reading you don't have to read from both drives). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RAID_1

Secondly, RAID is used to protect you against accidental drive crashes (except for RAID-0, where there is no redundancy) and to get very large drive volumes, not to protect against deletions because deletions are recorded on all disks at the same time.

Backup ... is backup! Backup ensures that when you accidentally deleted at file, you can find it and restore it. So using RAID and backup are really orthogonal issues.

The reason that backup is 'expensive' is that it takes a lot of time (and performance out of your system) to rummage through your terabytes storage, and whirling off the changes to your backup platform. It's so expensive in terms of performance and time, that people just don't do full backups all the time, but only during weekends to be able to complete the backup before people come back to work Monday morning.

But yes, this is decidedly outside the 7D2 discussion.

I gave up waiting for the 7D2 last year and went for the 5D3 (I'm still in love with it). But an 7D2 like RLPhoto predicted would be very interesting indeed!
I'm crossing my fingers that Canon have been able to work on the IQ - I was always disappointed with the 'mushy' pictures from my 50D, and my friends' 7D was no better.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.