Status
Not open for further replies.

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
UrbanVoyeur said:
tntwit said:
How can you say an interchangeable lens camera is no more versatile than a camera phone that cannot change lenses? Can you add an external flash to a camera phone? I have a droid X and can tell you it takes lousy photos and forget it if they move.
Canon had a chance to do the extraordinary and once again settled for the ordinary.

I realize that the camera has interchangeable lenses and hot shoe. And those are nice things. But without an articulated screen, there's only one way to hand hold it and almost no way to steady it without a tripod or monopod. Which makes it the equivalent of smart phone with extra lenses. A very front heavy smart phone.

Oh wait, smart phones have built in GPS and a built in flash. I guess the M is stripped, not equipped.

Canon needs help.

Funny, more than once I've heard the comment in Canon Rumors that an articulating screen is nothing more than a gimmick (I completely disagree with that comment). Now Canon comes out with a consumer level camera WITHOUT an articulating screen and it's called a stripped down cell phone in part because it lacks what others here call a gimmick. Seems Canon cannot do anything right.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
tntwit said:
Funny, more than once I've heard the comment in Canon Rumors that an articulating screen is nothing more than a gimmick (I completely disagree with that comment). Now Canon comes out with a consumer level camera WITHOUT an articulating screen and it's called a stripped down cell phone in part because it lacks what others here call a gimmick. Seems Canon cannot do anything right.

If you follow this and other forums closely enought, you know, that it is only a small minority of "high-end DSLR users" that is against articulated displays and pop-up flashes.

The vast majority of photographers recognizes the immense benefits of those 2 items in any digital camera.

Looking at the intended target group of "consumers, P&S upgraders", Canon made a major mistake to not include the following items in the EOS-M:
* pop-up flash
* fully articulated screen
* WiFi and GPS
* "Direct Facebook Button"

Inclusion of these features would have made the EOS-M the clear "king of consumer-grade compact system cameras". Instead, the EOS-M is still "lacking" in some ways ... just like all other CSCs currently on the market ... but more expensive than most. This will limit sales and keep Canon from reaching a commanding market position in the CSC segment any time soon.

Upvote 0
tntwit said:
Canon apologists will always justify whatever Canon does. I make constant use of articulating screens when I have one. To make the GX with an articulating screen (which I own) and M without one is silly. Making the S100 with GPS and the M without is equally stupid.

And lately, for me, Canon has done very little right in my book.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Looking at the intended target group of "consumers, P&S upgraders", Canon made a major mistake to not include the following items in the EOS-M:
* pop-up flash
* fully articulated screen
* WiFi and GPS
* "Direct Facebook Button"

Inclusion of these features would have made the EOS-M the clear "king of consumer-grade compact system cameras". Instead, the EOS-M is still "lacking" in some ways ... just like all other CSCs currently on the market ... but more expensive than most. This will limit sales and keep Canon from reaching a commanding market position in the CSC segment any time soon.
+1
I wholeheartedly agree!

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Looks like Fujifilm has announced the mirrorless camera with the features that I'd have liked Canon to include (mainly an EVF, built-in flash plus hotshoe...). Check out the E-X1 instead of the X1 Pro. If Canon had produced that camera with the option of using my EOS lenses through an adapter, I'd have pre-ordered one. The EOS-M is nothing I'd consider...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.